Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Many of those in the state congress that over-rode LePage's veto were members of his own party. In final days of session, Republicans and LePage grow apart | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

The writing is on the wall, governor. Even your own party is embarrassed by you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 02:08 AM

625 posts, read 792,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
The "gov" comes across as a crass, loudmouth bully in the manner of Morton Downey jr; sound byte explanations, mens room wisdom, and worst of all an appearance that only his way is the correct one and all others are stupid.

But thats the view of this mainer living in exile for now. If you good citizens of maine could kindly vote him out of office and allow him back to his retail empire, I would hurry my return to where life is as it could be.
Better a man that speaks his mind then the ones of the past forty years who did nothing but drive all the business out of the state, raise my taxes, invent new taxes and all the while spend more and more! I voted for him and will do so again. About time we had a person in office who cared about the working people more the the ones mooching off them.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 AM

278 posts, read 656,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
Better a man that speaks his mind then the ones of the past forty years who did nothing but drive all the business out of the state, raise my taxes, invent new taxes and all the while spend more and more! I voted for him and will do so again. About time we had a person in office who cared about the working people more the the ones mooching off them.
Cares about the working people?:
Quote:
"People like Troy Jackson, they ought to go back in the woods and cut trees and let someone with a brain come down here and do some work"
He can't even stand up for the working lumber jacks without insulting them... some of the hardest working people in Maine.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,712 times
Yeah, I agree. Give me a real Republican rather than a corporate puppet and I'll vote for 'em. But it looks like we're going to continue down the road to disaster, since Lepage won't win and we'll be stuck with either an elitist of similar ilk, or a union guy that hasn't put in an honest day's work in a long, long time. I was up in Millinocket a couple weeks ago, and listened to a couple of discussions regarding Mr. Michaud - from people that worked at the mill. His union involvement pretty much kept him from actually having to do anything for his paycheck, apparently. In the last "forty years" there's been some pretty darn good times in Maine. But Lepage's puppet masters have moved all the jobs overseas and to Mexico where they can pay $1.00 a day and produce the same product while their lackeys in politics whine that this is somehow someone else's fault. That's what his supporters would like to see for Maine. Slave labor, private for-profit school systems, for-profit prisons and anything else that could line someone's pocket. I don't see any real good things on the horizon, one way or the other.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddei63 View Post
Cares about the working people?:

He can't even stand up for the working lumber jacks without insulting them... some of the hardest working people in Maine.
Yes those that are EMPLOYED and not those who suck at the teet of those that work. Lumber jacks? most timber in Maine is cut with a machine by a guy who sits in a box.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:06 AM

That's kind of a simple statement when the analysis of what's going on is much more complex. Where's the shoe industry? Where's the paper industry? Where's Maine's manufacturing industries? Driven out by environmental regulations? Nope. Gone overseas to China, Mexico, Bangladesh and India for a faster buck where they can pay nothing for labor. There's an awful lot of working loggers in this State that might disagree with your thoughts. Beyond that, mechanization drove out a lot of the manufacturing of wood handling products, peavey, cant dogs, axes, etc., and reduced the number of persons that needed to be employed. I don't have an answer to the loss of jobs, but blaming the unemployed when industry chooses to mechanize, increase profits and decrease overhead isn't necessarily a legitimate position.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
That's kind of a simple statement when the analysis of what's going on is much more complex. Where's the shoe industry? Where's the paper industry? Where's Maine's manufacturing industries? Driven out by environmental regulations? Nope. Gone overseas to China, Mexico, Bangladesh and India for a faster buck where they can pay nothing for labor. There's an awful lot of working loggers in this State that might disagree with your thoughts. Beyond that, mechanization drove out a lot of the manufacturing of wood handling products, peavey, cant dogs, axes, etc., and reduced the number of persons that needed to be employed. I don't have an answer to the loss of jobs, but blaming the unemployed when industry chooses to mechanize, increase profits and decrease overhead isn't necessarily a legitimate position.

You asked so I will be happy to tell you. They got the hell out of Maine due to low profit. Low profit because of high taxes, union labor rates and the countless fee's and surcharges placed on them by the state. All these collections went directly to care for the non worker all done under DEMOCRAT control in the previous 40 years they had control of the state. I live downeast I have watched it all leave. I watch the trucks full of the local trees going across the border. I see the truck loads of Maine raised salmon going across the border. I see the truckloads of lobster going across the border as well. All things we used to have here. If you owned a business and the state you where based in almost seemed like it was trying to take every penny you made would you stay? If the labor to made the EXACT same item was 40 percent less across a line on a map woudl you cross that line?

In Maine we screw those who paid their own way while those who do not work get everything handed to them paid for of course by those of us who work. Food, healthcare, cars, homes, cash and so all funded by the working people. Hell the poor do not even have to pay property tax on homes they own.

What ever happened to what I was taught when I was a kid you want something in life work and EARN it!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 AM

They got out to increase the bottom line. Taxes were no higher than in many other places until you get out of the U.S.. Union labor rates followed the asinine increases that began in the 1970's for administrators and CEO's (which government then followed). The multiples of differential in pay between the working class and the "administrators" has become obscene. Just look at Debbie Johnson at EMMC - her package approaches $1MM a year, and for what? A nursing degree and an MBA? That's real life wealth redistribution. What would the other party do to offset the loss of jobs due to shipping manufacturing overseas and mechanization? Clearly, let them starve in place. I own a business, and do just fine, thank you, and have lived other places, too, and came home after years gone. I agree with working and earning it. But blaming democrats and pounding the drum, after LePage's reign of stupidity, just makes me wish for a Republican of my father's ilk rather than the new greed breed. Worse yet, it puts me in the position of voting a split ticket or simply voting against rhetoric that blames those least able to defend themselves.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
I guess the writing is on the wall, things are not BAD enough in Maine for people to realize how much the previous 40 years of liberal control hurt this state! Its sad, and I suspect many (not all!!!) have limited knowledge of what life is like outside of Maine.. Other then the fact that he is crude can anyone give 3 examples of what he has done (policy wise) that has hurt this state!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:09 PM

How about 3 examples of what he has done right? Mr. "Job Creator" hasn't done jack other than to make Maine the butt of Saturday Night Live skits. We've lived all over the place, in and out of the U.S. When economies are driven by greed, we all pay, and blaming one party or the other is as disingenuous as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine