Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 AM
JWK JWK started this thread

54 posts, read 45,987 times

Advertisements

It's hard to put enough in a title that spells this out. I am recently retired with a very modest fixed income. My wife and I would like to move to Maine with our two young teenage children. I have done a lot of research and am most interested in being within a 45 minute drive to Bangor. However, I would still like to consider other areas that might meet our criteria. We have parameters that are flexible on a priority scale.

Right now I am tentatively planning on leaving this Sunday morning, June 23rd. I am coming from central NY so it will be an all day drive. Hopefully I will be able to come up with a fairly specific agenda for Monday - Thursday and leave Friday morning. I will have one of my children with me. I am planning on camping.

What we would like:
This gets kind of tough to describe because we are a bit flexible. However, the ideal would be rural, private (we just don't want neighbors right on top of us - a few hundred yards would be nice), enough clear land for 10 - 15 acres of pasture/hay and the rest in forest growth. No maximum amount of acreage in mind, but we know the more we have the better chances of privacy. We are open to an existing home, but in our experience the chances of finding one to fit our desires approaches winning a state lottery.

Thoughts on where to camp, who to see, areas to check out, etc. would be appreciated.

I realize this is really condensed, so please fire any questions that will help you give suggestions. I'll be checking my computer frequently today and tomorrow.

Thanks to anyone that can throw some thoughts my way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 AM
JWK JWK started this thread

54 posts, read 45,987 times
Oh, and I just wanted to mention that even though I have just posted, I have been lurking here for years. We have been considering Maine as our final destination for at least five years.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
Check out Lincoln and surrounding areas. It sounds like a good match. Milford, Greenbush and Howland are between Lincoln and Bangor. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2013, 01:29 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your shopping trip

Old 06-22-2013, 03:02 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,392,132 times
My family has lived in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine 04426* forever it seems. Even today you're missing the The Maine Whoopie Pie Festival | Food, Music, Fun, and WHOOPIE PIES! Webcam | Center Theatre

Bangor is 45 minutes or less on route 15. Walmart/Maine pike in Newport/Almira is 25 miles down route 7. Reny's in Dexter is 10 miles from Dover. Sebec Lake is 5 miles and Moosehead Lake 35 miles away. Houses and land are cheap. You get a lot of bang for your buck and the rolling hills and views are everywhere. About 2500 residents year round and over 4k in the summer.

I have several relatives here that live in modest homes with modest incomes in town and still have a camp on the lake. In this case Sebec Lake. So to them.. Dover=city...Sebec Lake=country. Going to Bangor to them is a days trip. Although they do make it out of state once in a while to visit family.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:21 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,392,132 times
I meant the Walmart is in Palmyra not Almira.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,725 times

Okay... Now I've got the song, Elvira in my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine