Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:50 AM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,752 times

Advertisements

Ahhh yes, the old political/regional demographics issue.

Kinda like how North Florida wants no part of South Florida, the State of Illinois would gladly fence off Chicagoland, Upstate New York considers themselves an entirely different species than those from the City... and those aren't even the most extreme examples.

I'd have to say Portland, Oregon compared to the rest of Oregon or maybe Austin Texas compared to every other place in Texas would be the most glaring examples- both being Ultra Liberal cities in otherwise conservative states, however, given the population breakdowns, Portland has a much more profound influence over the rest of the state than Austin does.

For one state to annex a portion of another state, the legal issues would be essentially insolvable. There's only one state in the union that has even a remotely tenuous right to secede (Texas) but that little skirmish that we fought in the 1860's basically established that, once the lines are drawn, you're stuck with your in-state neighbors whether you like them or not.

Nevertheless, it's a fascinating and quickly growing issue in most all states- that of "city" types with typically liberal trending ideals versus "non city" types with more traditionalist values. Whoever can breed faster will be the winner.

My own experiences in Maine are very consistent with the sentiment in this thread.
Southern Maine is basically Massachusetts North with the attendant "collectivist" principles while those from the north are far more self-reliant.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:31 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
woohoo I get to stay in Maine!
Maybe not. Maine does not run north and south. It really runs more east and west.

Anything south of Augusta would probably include most of the Maine coast all the way up to Belfast. Now, do you REALLY want to give Massachusetts most of the revenue generating coastline?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:36 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Ahhh yes, the old political/regional demographics issue.

Kinda like how North Florida wants no part of South Florida, the State of Illinois would gladly fence off Chicagoland, Upstate New York considers themselves an entirely different species than those from the City... and those aren't even the most extreme examples.

I'd have to say Portland, Oregon compared to the rest of Oregon or maybe Austin Texas compared to every other place in Texas would be the most glaring examples- both being Ultra Liberal cities in otherwise conservative states, however, given the population breakdowns, Portland has a much more profound influence over the rest of the state than Austin does.

For one state to annex a portion of another state, the legal issues would be essentially insolvable. There's only one state in the union that has even a remotely tenuous right to secede (Texas) but that little skirmish that we fought in the 1860's basically established that, once the lines are drawn, you're stuck with your in-state neighbors whether you like them or not.

Nevertheless, it's a fascinating and quickly growing issue in most all states- that of "city" types with typically liberal trending ideals versus "non city" types with more traditionalist values. Whoever can breed faster will be the winner.

My own experiences in Maine are very consistent with the sentiment in this thread.
Southern Maine is basically Massachusetts North with the attendant "collectivist" principles while those from the north are far more self-reliant.
Don't forget to add the upper peninsula of Michigan and Cape Cod. Cape Cod had a seccessionist movement in the 1970's that was pretty strong for a while, although without true political leadership.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
Well, after a few years of sometimes tense debate Chebeaugue Island seceded from the Town of Cumberland. At one point Cumberland threatned to not allow the CI kids continued access the local MS/HS if they seceded. well, they did secede a couple of years ago and as far as I can tell it going well for the folks on CI. Only access to the island is by ferry, no bridge.

I think a couple of islands in Caso Bay, maybe Peaks(fairly populated) seceded from the City of Portland in the last 10 years.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,268 times
I heard about Michigan joining with Canada, then I also heard about the Mid-West becoming its own country... Rumors has it

Old 11-11-2007, 06:14 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Okay,.. Since much of Mexico, Central and South America seem to be coming here, should we all just "move up" on country and invade Canada?

Old 11-11-2007, 08:03 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
INVADE??? - NO!!
JOIN - YES!!
I think our neighbors to the north are a whole lot more civilized than we are- esp the way the conduct their foreign policy!!!
What do you think, Corner Guy???!!!

Old 11-11-2007, 09:52 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
Im from houlton !
great town great ppl. I moved away about 25 yrs ago when i left there were potato
farms, dairy farms,houlton IH was there.
iv watched southern maine voters kill northern maine prospects.
I dont think southern me should dictate what goes on in northern me.
most ppl from southern me have never been past bangore.
So lets draw a line from east to west just below bangor and let mass have the rest.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:02 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Northern Mass...once again....Portland is far to liberal to be connected to Massoftwoshts. I mean, we actually believe in coffee and chocolate here.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:10 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Okay,.. Since much of Mexico, Central and South America seem to be coming here, should we all just "move up" on country and invade Canada?
No, no, no. We can't say "invade". The proper term is "liberate".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine