Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 09:07 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times

Advertisements

So, other than our GPS so we can go geocaching with Molly, what are some other "toys" we'll want to invest in for our many hiking and sightseeing adventures in Maine?

Our Christmas list is quickly filling with "things we'll need when we move", but who wants all sweaters and boots for Christmas??? We HAVE to have a few toys too!!!

So, all you experts start spilling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Skiis, snowmobiles, snowshoes, sleds. Lots of warm socks and mittens. Some boardgames and books for those days when its too darn cold to go outside.
Flower and veggie seeds to plant in spring. A hammock to spend a leisurely summer day in.
Just about anything that suits your fancy.

You know if you get moved to Belfast before we move south, we will have to meet up. We go through there on the way to my Mom's.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:00 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Oh, that would be nice! You guys be sure and share your favorite brands as well. I know NOTHING about sporting equipment, and I'm guessing Walmart's Great Value isn't the best to choose!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:20 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Art stuff,.. paints, markers, clay, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, glue. all that stuff that kids can get creative with when the weather is too cold or raw to be outside. Those big posters that come with markers are great. Books.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
This time of year I definitely wear wool.Johnson Woolen Goods are probably the best. We have a Labonville in Mexico who make their own wool coats and jackets and they are comparable to Johnson.
As far as undergarments are concerned a material that wicks-transfers moisture from within to the outside,is the best.
As the days get a lot colder Gortex is one of the best outer material which also allows the transfer of moisture away from the body and blocks the chilly winter winds.
Blaze orange is a trendy color this time of year so hunters can identify you.
Under no circumstances should you wear a brown jacket with a white handkerchief in your back pocket!!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
*** Trax (Very helpful for those not accustomed to walking on icy surfaces.)
Chap Stik (It also keeps zippers lubricated nicely and does not stain.)
Sunglasses (They are more important in winter than summer.)
DeLorme Atlas
Lock Deicer
Starting ether
Dry Gas
Disposable heating pads (They last about 6 hours)
Rainex (Snow and ice come off your windshield with one swipe of the wipers.)
Camera
Binoculars
Face mask like snowmobilers wear

Old 11-08-2007, 03:03 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
*** Trax (Very helpful for those not accustomed to walking on icy surfaces.)
Chap Stik (It also keeps zippers lubricated nicely and does not stain.)
Sunglasses (They are more important in winter than summer.)
DeLorme Atlas
Lock Deicer
Starting ether
Dry Gas
Disposable heating pads (They last about 6 hours)
Rainex (Snow and ice come off your windshield with one swipe of the wipers.)
Camera
Binoculars
Face mask like snowmobilers wear
I've made a good dent in this list! Also, the old fashioned original Chap Stik works the best (IMHO). We just bought some *** Trax at Reny's...good deal there. Rainex? Do you just get that at a gas station?
I'm really glad this thread was started.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Add a pair of New Balance sneakers (tennis shoes) to the list. You can get them many places, but your best deal will be to go directly to their outlet store in Oxford. I get mine there and I pay $34 vs. the $100 they sell for at LL Bean.

Rainex is better bought at Wallyworld. They are much cheaper than at a gas station.
A snow shovel is a must. And some icemelt. They make a kind that won't hurt your pets' feet.
Ice scraper for your vehicle.
Ice skates for skating.
Lots of fresh cut flowers to brighten your home on a cold winter's day.

and a partridge in a pear tree. LOL

Old 11-08-2007, 05:21 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I go through rain-ex too, either Walmart or the dollar store will have it.

Sneakers? I have never been to Oxford, but it seems that sneaker season is about gone. Everything here is standing water, I am wearing boots outside when feeding the livestock.

Snow shovels are an issue however. I keep one manure shovel, a wide deep bucket with a short handle. And a second cheap show-pushing kind of shovel, I don't really like them much but sometimes they do work just for pushing slush out of the way.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Snow shovel
Snow Scoop
Roof Rake
Flat shooting varmint rifle
Shotgun
Deer/Moose rifle
Concealed carry permit to go with your handgun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine