Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:12 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times

Advertisements

I did some work for a local food pantry today. There is little money and many desperate people. As we all wonder about what to get for Christmas gifts, and what to make for Thanksgiving, we should also try to remember those in need. If you can, donate a few bucks to your local pantry. It helps tham to stock more for people and helps with the gas for those that do all the running to pick things up. Another nice idea is to ask if they have families in need of warm clothing and donate any old winter coats in good shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 11:35 AM

454 posts, read 886,217 times
Great post, msina!!
(tried to rep you, but it said I had to spread the love a bit more..lol)

I usually "adopt a family" for the holidays every year, but I haven't seen any information on doing so in this area....so that might be the best thing for me to do, to give the money I would have spent on clothing and toys for a family to the local food shelter!

On kind of the same note, I also used to visit my local nursing home around the holidays, and would ask if there were those that didn't have any family contact. Sometimes just having someone to talk to or bring you cookies and sit and watch a movie with you, to just spend time with you....can be the best gift of all.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
Great post, msina!!
(tried to rep you, but it said I had to spread the love a bit more..lol)

I usually "adopt a family" for the holidays every year, but I haven't seen any information on doing so in this area....so that might be the best thing for me to do, to give the money I would have spent on clothing and toys for a family to the local food shelter!

On kind of the same note, I also used to visit my local nursing home around the holidays, and would ask if there were those that didn't have any family contact. Sometimes just having someone to talk to or bring you cookies and sit and watch a movie with you, to just spend time with you....can be the best gift of all.
Central Maine Toyota adopts many families every Christmas...the employees donate weekly from their paychecks just for this. This year we're shopping for five kids. The items they asked for are so practical. Coats, mittens, undies...along with a few toys.
I can't wait to shop for them. I've suggested to my family that instead of exchanging presents THIS is what we should do. Volunteer...contribute...make a kid's Christmas...lighten a mom's worries. Bake cookies and bring them to a nursing home. Anything really. I get as much out of it as they do.
Wonderful thread!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Such good souls here posting on this thread...... Nice to know there are plenty of decent, caring folks out there!

I am proud to be cyber-acquainted with all of you

Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Thanks for reminding me. I'm going to go drop off a box at my local food pantry on Fri.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
My company operates Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage Cares, a 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization that most of us contribute a piece of our commissions towards. My local Portland office also collects money all year by "fining" us $5 for being late to meetings or if our wireless phones go off during a meeting. We also auction the parking space near the door each month and host an annual golf tournament and have raffles all year to go towards two Christmas families in the area. It does feel good to give back!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:28 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Our farm fairy makes food and gifts mysteriously appear in certain places around holidays.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:11 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
we do the turkey donations every year....this year I think they got over 900....not bad for one little part of Washington County

Old 11-09-2007, 06:37 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
I substitute taught in a school a few weeks before Christmas one year. The regular teacher's lesson plan called for the kids to write down what they wanted most for Christmas. Those kids were different fifth graders. They wrote;

I hope my friend's house is warm on Christmas.
I wish my Dad will visit on Christmas.
I wish my Mom's boyfriend won't be mean on Christmas.
I pray Susan's Mom will live until Christmas.

None of those kids wished for anything for themselves. Life is hard for some of the people here. They work hard. Most are honest as the day is long. There is hard poverty in our beautiful state. Many of those folks will not ask for help. I had a neighbor who lived on a very small social security check. He grew his own vegetables, fished in the lake and hunted. He cut his firewood and kept his house neat. I brought him venison and salmon. He would never take anything else, but at Christmas he did take a set of drug store reading glasses. He could have applied for assistance, but he would not give up his home and land. He was 88 years old.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:14 AM

612 posts, read 1,216,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
we do the turkey donations every year....this year I think they got over 900....not bad for one little part of Washington County
My husband and I work at our county country high school where the lower to middle socio-economic students attend. The students put up posters in the halls asking for canned goods donations starting the first of November. The teachers donate money for the turkeys and Thanksgiving baskets are distributed to the needed. Last year about 30 or more families received a basket. Then the National Honor Society(my husband is the sponsor) students bring gifts and clothes for families whose names, ages and sizes are provided by local churches. We have had the back of my husband's truck loaded with Christmas for the families. I have been surprised by the generosity of the students. Then we have the giving tree at church for needy children and their families at Thanksgiving and the Angel tree at Christmas. This is just from our small corner of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine