Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:27 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times

Advertisements

You know I'm not rendered speechless very often, but I just can't talk a lot about all of this and do it any justice at all.

Please take a few minutes today and remember our Veterans. Please also take a few minutes, follow the link, and at least watch the videos. It will do your heart good.

Maine Remembrance Wreaths Decorate Veterans Cemeteries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 03:26 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,851 times
I looked at the website, and I had tears in my eyes when I saw the wreaths on the headstones in the snow. I remember reading about the colors of the season and what they stand for and I will attempt to recall the words from memory as the photo gives visual meaning to the words below.

The red represents the blood that was so freely shed,
The evergreen never loses it leaves and represents everlasting life,
The white honors the purity of purpose for which their lives were given.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:45 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
I just read about this wonderful tradition in DownEast magazine. When I lived there, I had never heard of it and I can't imagine why. Another thing that Maine should be so very proud of.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:50 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
that is indeed awesome.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:02 PM

This year is the 15th year that Worchester Wreath has done this. Morrill Worchester is co-director of the project, and Michael's Civil Air Patrol Commander, Dennis Murray is co-director as well. I hadn't heard of this project until last year. Michael had joined Civil Air Patrol in the Fall, and he came home from a meeting one Thursday night and said "I have to go work on wreathes in Harrington this weekend", and told me about Wreaths Across America. I can't tell you what an impact that had on him last December. He'd never been to Arlington, so to see all the graves was a huge impact alone, and then to lay wreaths was incredible for him. Michael still can't talk about that experience without getting teary. I haven't been able to watch the videos about the program without being teary either. It's a wonderful, wonderful thing.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:08 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times
Thumbs up Hello Mollysmiles! Thank You To Forestbeekeeper!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this link!

Its GREAT!

And I also have tears in my eyes, just thinking of how many people we have lost! Truly sad!

LETS ALWAYS THANK & REMEMBER OUR VETERANS,

All of those wonderful men & women that give so much of themselves,

give up so much for our country! Their families, their homes, lives, etc. etc.!!!

MAY GOD BLESS THEM ALL!

And by the way, if I am not wrong, I believe that one of the MAINE regulars,

FORESTBEEKEEPER, is also a VETERAN, right?

THANK YOU TO "FOREST" for everything he did as well!

Take care,

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
You know I'm not rendered speechless very often, but I just can't talk a lot about all of this and do it any justice at all.

Please take a few minutes today and remember our Veterans. Please also take a few minutes, follow the link, and at least watch the videos. It will do your heart good.

Maine Remembrance Wreaths Decorate Veterans Cemeteries

Old 11-11-2007, 04:22 PM

yes, he certainly is---thank you Forest

Old 11-11-2007, 04:50 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Wow! **sniff***snifffff***** That is absolutely beautiful! That is definitely one of the many things we can all be thankful for the preservation of and thankful to those who have fought to preserve it!

And yes, thank you Forest and all others who have and continue to serve.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:33 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Countrylv22, Molly, Elcarim:

Thank you.

In 1976, I enlisted in the US Navy, and I eventually served onboard the:
USS George C. Marshall SSBN 654(B) [a Fleet Ballistic Missile submarine];
USS Simon Lake AS-33 [a submarine repair/replenishment ship];
USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633(G) [a FBM sub];
USS Alaska SSBN 732(B) [a FBM sub].
When I got tired of living underwater for so many years I was able to change jobs and I served two tours of Law Enforcement [three years in Groton Ct, and three years in Naples Italy and the Kosovo theater].

I retired in March 2001, among the last wave of retirees allowed to retire before the anticipated WTO attacks.

May God bless you and keep you.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:51 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Thank you Forest. I come from a long line of men who served. My father, brother, uncle, grand father, great grandfather, all the way back to General Veazie. You are very much appreciated.

I've known about the wreaths for years but I still get teary over what these folks do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine