Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times

Advertisements

MOFGA has announced that it is hiring Ted Quaday, whose main expertise seems to be in communications, as its new executive director after the obligatory "national search." Quaday comes from California. Apparently no one in Maine is capable of leading the organization, except, oh wait, the last five executive directors.

New MOFGA leader filling mentor's shoes | The Morning Sentinel, Waterville, ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:13 PM

506 posts, read 684,052 times
He should get along well with all of the out-of-state yuppies at the Common Ground Fair this year..............

Old 08-01-2013, 02:45 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
They say he was selected because of "... his experience that includes organic agriculture, food system movements and communication work with Farm Aid, Organic Farming Research Foundation and as an independent consultant."

That is not bad.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
buy local- but hire from away

the new mofga motto

Old 08-01-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

the new mofga motto
LOL. Not bad. Hope he sees this job as a destination and not a stepping stone. The article was a blatantly obvious (and failed) desperate attempt to tie the new guy to Russ Libby.

ETA: I didn't see anything in the info about him that says he's actually been an organic grower. Sounds like he's a manager. MOFGA needs someone who knows Maine, and OJT isn't part of the job description.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:08 PM

625 posts, read 792,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

the new mofga motto
Bingo. Sad..

Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,324 times
Normally I wouldn't bother to respond to such juvenile parsing, but this thread begs for it. I can't imagine that any of the speculative criticism is worthwhile reading for anyone bothering to visit the Maine forum. If you don't appreciate MOFGA as an organization, if you don't support the Association's choice of its new Director, let's hear some well founded facts to support your indifference.

Submariner, you are not my target...

Old 08-02-2013, 09:29 AM

The problem is that I do support MOFGA and have since its founding. It has become the largest and most successful organic agriculture organization in the country by finding leaders who know Maine, know the Maine political and social scene, and most of all know organic agriculture by being growers themselves. The new director meets none of those qualifications, according to the information currently available. His only link seems to be a pathetic attempt to play on Russ Libby's memory.

This is yet another example of a Maine organization that feels it can only be credible if it hires leaders from outside Maine -- especially those that were built from the ground up by Mainers. It's an insult to the many excellent Mainers who are more than qualified to lead MOFGA.

ETA: And before you ask, no, I was not a candidate for the position, nor was anyone I know.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:11 PM

625 posts, read 792,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Normally I wouldn't bother to respond to such juvenile parsing, but this thread begs for it. I can't imagine that any of the speculative criticism is worthwhile reading for anyone bothering to visit the Maine forum. If you don't appreciate MOFGA as an organization, if you don't support the Association's choice of its new Director, let's hear some well founded facts to support your indifference.

Submariner, you are not my target...
Well first and foremost the M is for Maine! After that I live up here in Maine.

I raise my own Chickens, pigs, goats and 3 cows down the road. I also have a good size garden where I raise everything from taters to tomatoes I even have several acres of blueberries. While I am no organic nut I do like the idea and what I grow is done so a la natural I even use the poop from my critters for fertilizer. The milk my family drinks comes form our cows and goes from cow to fridge.

That all said it is a MAINE association for Mainers and thus should be staffed and overseen by Mainers. Not some guy from CA or anywhere that is not Maine. Do not tell me we do not have a list of Mainers just as qualified educationally plus being a Mainer more familiar with Maine and our unique ways.

Comprende migo??

Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,324 times
If there had been a suitable candidate from Maine, I highly doubt MOFGA would have simply passed them over.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm reading a degree of provinciality in the previous comments that is just plain curious to me. The notion that someone needs to "be" from Maine to be adequate to the task of acting Director of any Maine based organisation is closed minded to me. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine