Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,864 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking for information about my great great grandparents. They lived in Eastport, Maine in the late 1800s into the early 1900s. I don't know the exact time frame but it was definitely from the 1890s until the 1920s (possibly later).

My great great grandfather's name was John H. Dunn. He married my great great grandmother Louise (Ward) Dunn. Their daughter - My great grandmother Anna Maude (Dunn) Gill, was born there in 1891.

At some point my great grandmother moved to the Boston area, where she had my grandmother Thelma Louise (Gill) McDonough, in March of 1914.

I know that my family was still in Eastport, until at least the 1920s because my grandmother and her older sister Lillian Francis (Dunn) Barry, used to spend their summers as small children there, living with their grandmother (my great great grandmother).

I've attached two photos of my grandmother, great grandmother, and my great great grandmother.

The first picture is a picture of my grandmother and her sister as small children in Easport. Right behind them, is their grandmother Louise (Ward) Dunn.

The second picture is my great grandmother's high school graduation photo. She graduated in Easport, Maine, in 1908. She is on the bottom right of the photo.

I know that there probably aren't many people left who may have known them - if there are any left at all, but I thought I'd just try.

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Eastport, Maine 1890-1930-grandma-her-sister.jpg   Eastport, Maine 1890-1930-anna-maude-dunn.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 12:13 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
wished i could help you-interesting pics!!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,597 times
Default John Dunn

Hi, are you still looking for info on John Dunn?

I checked the 1901 Eastport city directory for John Dunn and there is only 1 Dunn in the directory and that is Henry J Dunn. Could it be that they may have lived in a nearby town? I looked in the 1935 Directory and there are no Dunns at all. Those are the only two directories I have access to. I also checked findagrave; no luck there anywhere in Washington county.

I found John and Louise in the 1910 census living in Eastport. It says John was born in Massachusetts about 1859; however Maine was still part of Massachusetts at that point so that is something to consider.

In the 1920 census, I find a John H Dunn with Louise living in Cambridge, Mass with Forrest and Mary Dowe. It says they are daughter and son-in-law to John.

I'll let you know if I come across anything else that will give you more info on them. In the 1920 census, it said that John's parents were born in Ireland.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:39 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiskabran View Post
Hi, are you still looking for info on John Dunn?

I checked the 1901 Eastport city directory for John Dunn and there is only 1 Dunn in the directory and that is Henry J Dunn. Could it be that they may have lived in a nearby town? I looked in the 1935 Directory and there are no Dunns at all. Those are the only two directories I have access to. I also checked findagrave; no luck there anywhere in Washington county.

I found John and Louise in the 1910 census living in Eastport. It says John was born in Massachusetts about 1859; however Maine was still part of Massachusetts at that point so that is something to consider.

In the 1920 census, I find a John H Dunn with Louise living in Cambridge, Mass with Forrest and Mary Dowe. It says they are daughter and son-in-law to John.

I'll let you know if I come across anything else that will give you more info on them. In the 1920 census, it said that John's parents were born in Ireland.

thats decent of you to research this..

tho im thinking maine became its own state in 1820

Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,950,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

tho im thinking maine became its own state in 1820
Yep that is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: