Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 06:16 PM

33 posts, read 120,946 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at trying to move to Maine for several years...I would like to hear how the Houlton Area is and what people think of the hospital in Houlton? We are looking for rural and quieter life. We live in Minnesota and totally get snow and cold...no problems with that. We would be coming with 2 large dogs and a 6th grader. Thoughts anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Do both of you have jobs lined up in Houlton? If so, it's a great place to live. If not, it's an economic wasteland like most of Maine. I lived there for five years and loved it. The hospital is fine, for such a small town. If you need more there are two large hospitals two hours away. There is also a pretty good hospital up in Presque Isle, which is about 45 minutes away.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
I really like the Houlton area. You can find some awesome old houses for a pretty cheap price, since there are many of them. There are a couple of newer developments too. Houlton has a fantastic old downtown. There is quite a bit to do in the area. It is a quiet area to live.
It is a good hospital, as far as I know. The schools are good too. There is also Greater Houlton Christian Academy, which has a very good reputation.
It is a major farming area, with some industry too. There is a thriving Amish community about 10 minutes south of Houlton.
While I agree that it always helps to have jobs lined up prior to a move, Houlton is not a wasteland if you don't already have a job. You just can't be too picky.

If I can answer any more questions just holler.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Here is a good page for looking at Houlton: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2013 at 06:03 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 PM

468 posts, read 758,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I really like the Houlton area. You can find some awesome old houses for a pretty cheap price, since there are many of them. There are a couple of newer developments too. Houlton has a fantastic old downtown. There is quite a bit to do in the area. It is a quiet area to live.
It is a good hospital, as far as I know. The schools are good too. There is also Greater Houlton Christian Academy, which has a very good reputation.
It is a major farming area, with some industry too. There is a thriving Amish community about 10 minutes south of Houlton.
While I agree that it always helps to have jobs lined up prior to a move, Houlton is not a wasteland if you don't already have a job. You just can't be too picky.

If I can answer any more questions just holler.
Indeed.

About 3 years ago I was in Pioneer Place, which is the Amish general store in Smyrna as you know. While I was shopping, one guy happened across an acquaintance of his that was also shopping. Well, one guy asked the other guy what the news was and so forth, along with how business was and the second guy, whom I gathered was in some construction business, commented that it was good, but that he couldn't get anybody good that wanted to work, that is, he had construction jobs that went wanting.

I was kind of new to the area at the time, but that conversation made a lasting impression on me.

Then too, my neighbor, who farms potato and grains on about 300 acres, both owned and rented, has repeatedly commented to me that he is always looking for help. Hey, it's not software development, but I never see his guys out in the fields on their hands and knees either as the farm operation is fully mechanized.

Aroostook - the Houlton area anyway, is under-noticed and oversold if you ask me.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:16 PM

33 posts, read 120,946 times
Thank you for the answers...we would have at least one professional job lined up before we move..tool old to jump and not know where we are landing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine