Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
So basically you should pretend that you just woke up from a coma and landed in Maine with no recollection of a previous life.
Good advice, hopefully there are people in Maine who have open minds and would maybe show an interest in something other than their own little insular world.
By the way the term " from away" is very immature and a little elitist. But I guess you are something special being "from Maine".
He/she(?) asked for blunt, honest advice and I gave it. If I have to explain it, you probably wouldn't understand. Most people who move to Maine are trying to escape something at first anyway; or are looking for a different way of life. This topic has been hashed over numerous times on the forum. Oftentimes, the potential newcomers love the idea of relocating to Maine until they arrive. Then they start to change their view of Maine or decide they want Maine to be more like where they came from. Next step is complaining about Maine to the native Mainers. The last thing a native Mainer wants to hear is someone from away complaining about Maine or talking about how much better things were where they used to live. If Maine just doesn't measure up for them, why not leave? Why try to push their idea of how Maine should be on Mainers? This reminds me of people who get married and then try to change the person they married. If Mainers have an interest, they will let the person know. If they want to know more, they will ask. Yes, I am special and proud of my heritage. I hope you are too.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 10-22-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 03:24 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Acceptance is a two way thing. People from the urban/suburban areas move to rural states to escape the city, and bring their city attitudes with them, promptly complaining people hunt, have guns, don't have lights on at night, the people next door don't have a big or nice enough house or they have a few old vehicles lying around, and so on and so forth. There's a reason for the "away" and "flatlander" comments. Probably half the time you hear those sorts of comments they're not made very seriously. The other half of the time there's reasons behind them and they are sort of serious.
I think you are right in what you are saying about city people moving to rural states and complaining. Leave the citytudes in the city. Sometimes the term "flatlander" might have something to do with mountains or not, but this is not necessarily the case....just a nickname for people from away. Of course, most times when I hear the term "flatlander" used, there are other not so nice words in front of it, kind of like the words used to describe drivers from another New England state. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Maine wanting to be unique and valuing that uniqueness.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 AM

74 posts, read 147,849 times
Mainegirl, You are right. In fact, you're more than right. It's so silly to deny that Maine's lure is equal and opposite Florida's. How many times, in northern climates, do you hear people say that they just "can't stand another winter" and that the following spring, they're "heading south?" Then they land in places with different topography, frequently in states whose Latino population and culture strikes them as foreign, and humidity and heat as miserable as the cold and damp they needed to escape. They don't know that cockroaches can fly down south, with the pretty name "palmetto bug." Of course, down south or in the southwest, the issue isn't "flatlanders." But if a ranking were made of states about which non-residents have the greatest illusions, Maine would *have* to be in the Top 5.

How often do you hear someone in Maine say, If I could only move to Indiana, I'd be happy? Indiana is a gorgeous state, but it's not susceptible to day-dreamers with expectations that NO state could fulfill. In fact, after 1) Hawaii, 2) Florida, 3) California, and (these days) perhaps 4) Alaska, I'd definitely put 5) Maine. Maine is the only state people are ashamed to say they romanticize. The reason for this: they believe they are intellectuals.

Please (everyone) don't think I'm saying that folk who successfully and happily make the transition are any kind of problem at all. I'm just saying what I believe Mainegirl is describing: this inaccurate and sometimes very immature idea that Maine is Currier and Ives, with the entire state spiced with hot apple cider, 365 days a year.

Last edited by The Hillmeister; 10-23-2013 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
Hmmm.... I understand sometimes a person tries to fit in, but doesn't, for whatever reason. That being said however, I think the best way to approach relocation is to base it on what you *like*. What do you like to do in your spare time, what would you like to learn, what is it that makes you smile, and is it available in the area you're investigating? You know yourself well enough to know the answers to those questions. When you look into an area, ask yourself if it seems to have those things you enjoy, that make you happy. That should be the first step, especially because it will be those things that allow you to connect to people and make friends in your new location. I realize this sounds very simplistic, but it might narrow areas down quickly.

Beyond that, search for the job, if you need one, then the housing. It's true that some have a "us vs. them" mentality, but they are the people that search for differences, not commonality. It's been my experience that those people are not the most friendly, or open, and often don't make very good friends! I don't think you're missing too much if you avoid them entirely! All of Maine is beautiful, and all areas have wonderful people, but you have to decide what you're really looking for and that will help you narrow it down. If coming for a month, living here, and looking around helps, then yes, you should do it! Just be prepared, your list of places you could happily live might actually grow larger.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:12 AM

74 posts, read 147,849 times
I think I finally identified the problem.

If your lifelong dream is to live near truly French-speaking Canada and also the Maritimes, without leaving the United States, then you have to move to Northern Maine. But there are no large cities or airports, or even a large choice of ground routes, to get to and from. It has nothing to do with people being friendly or not friendly, or welcoming or not welcoming. It has to do with your ability to parachute into what is essentially a foreign country while maintaining all the benefits of not leaving the U.S.

So I wanted to wrap up this thread by thanking everybody whose contributions helped me identify the insoluble problem, my potential character flaw, and/or the choice I have to parachute and forever hold my peace.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:16 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
99% of mainers do not know each other, so to some extent most of us are from "away" when i travelled most of the towns in maine, i quickly found- follow the golden rule,,,and you will be fine
from ft kent, to bridgeton, if i pulled over to make a call, or do some paperwork in the car- cars would pull up behind me, just to see if i was ok... or needed some help..thinking i was broke down...
maine people are people- treat them decent, you will be treated decent- just dont be arrogant or condescend..

i travel all over n.h. mass. now and always breath a sigh of relief, driving out of mass. - the welcome to maine sign, is my favorite sign....

maine isnt for everyone ....its what you make of it- im sure just like everywhere else.... im sure it would be the same if i moved to a southern state- i d probly hate it- just too hot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine