Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 04:26 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times

Advertisements

LAC MEGANTIC, Que.

There was a train derailment and huge explosion today.....the train was carrying crude oil and was heading into Maine. . The town center has been destroyed.

Prayers for the townspeople. It sounds as if the disaster and human suffering is tremendous.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3554360.html

Last edited by elston; 07-06-2013 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 05:07 PM

468 posts, read 758,927 times
More: At least 1 dead, several reported missing after train carrying crude oil derails in Quebec | Fox News

and... http://bangordailynews.com/2013/07/0...cts-in-quebec/

It seems the train was parked, waiting for a new crew and it broke lose and ran into the center of Lac Megantic were it derailed and exploded.

Didn't we just have some kind of political protest over the environmental safety of these trains?

Old 07-06-2013, 06:54 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Last May they made a big deal of moving a train with 104 cars of tar-sand crude through Maine to get it to St.John for refining.

Too corrosive for a pipeline, and too hazardous for Alberta to allow refining on-site.

Whether this stuff eventually goes through a pipeline in the US, or by rail in the US, or on trucks using the proposed East-West Corridor, they really want to get it moved across Maine to be refined.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 PM

468 posts, read 758,927 times
Hmmm.... Other news accounts of this wreck state that the train had been parked, waiting for a new crew, when it somehow got released. It was supposedly about 300 feet higher in elevation than the town center, so down the grade it went.

It will be very interesting to hear what investigators find as the cause of the brake failure/release.

One person has been confirmed dead as well.....

One of those other news accounts also stated that this was Bakken, South Dakota crude rather than tar sands crude, if that matters.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,109 times
This will definitely have an impact on the debate about oil moving through Maine, either by rail or the Portland-Montreal pipeline. The East-West Highway may be affected as well if an oil pipeline is finally admitted as being part of the package. The Lac Megantic train must have been loaded with Bakken light crude for it to burn so easily. I wonder if there weren't other cars with perhaps propane or some other easily flammable substance in the mix.

Submariner, are you sure it was tar sands oil in that train last May? So far as I know, the refineries in St. John aren't set up to process heavy sour crude. I found a news article from May 2012 about Bakken oil crossing Maine that mentioned only that small quantities of tar sands oil had been moved across Maine as a test.

http://www.kjonline.com/news/oil-cro...l?pagenum=full

Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,550,572 times
I found it interesting that one of the National news reporters - I think it was Savannah Guthrie - said that Lac Magantic was about 135 miles from the border with Maine. The last time we did the crossing there, when camping in Canada, that town was only 10 miles from the border. Shows how so very much you see on the news is just plain wrong.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:25 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,773 times
I'm confused..........seems a little odd that an unmanned train carrying tar sand would explode. Just from a derailment?

Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I'm confused..........seems a little odd that an unmanned train carrying tar sand would explode. Just from a derailment?
It wasn't carrying tar sands oil. It was Bakken oil, which is much lighter and presumably more volatile. I haven't seen anything explaining how it caught fire, which is why I was wondering in my post above if perhaps other cars were included in the train that were carrying more flammable substances. Crude oil does burn, especially the lighter compounds.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:00 PM

888 posts, read 1,592,389 times
The runaway crude train supposedly hit several parked propane cars on a siding when it derailed.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:47 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I found it interesting that one of the National news reporters - I think it was Savannah Guthrie - said that Lac Magantic was about 135 miles from the border with Maine. The last time we did the crossing there, when camping in Canada, that town was only 10 miles from the border. Shows how so very much you see on the news is just plain wrong.
Well I was confused too. When I was a kid we lived in N Hatley Que.....over the Vermont border....near the city of Sherbrook. They said Lac Magantic was near Sherbrook ...... I don't think that was anywhere near Maine. But I am trying to remember geography from when I was just a little kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine