Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

I had a thread long ago somewhere about cheapest ways to heat but this is about the very healthiest. I know you pay more but your health is your wealth when inhaling particulates/indoor air quality. Ok, before you all start yelling at me, haha, please be kind & discuss this civilized, if we can.

I think Solar would be best but in Maine it isn't a real viable option. Electric is ok as it radiates, I think, but again not sure here. Wood, pellets, natural gas, propane, etc. all emit particulates but to what degree in what order?

Ok, experts in indoor/outdoor home heating & pollution can you give us all some real data/ideas as to the BEST source -- & healthiest for heart/lung/asthma or older folks?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
There is a weekly radio program that focuses on home heating topics. It is called 'Hot and cold', they are on 103.9 FM every Saturday morning from 8am to 10am.

There has been a lot of work in the last decade to perfect heat-pumps. The latest new development has been with 'mini-split' heat-pumps. Their big feature is that the compressor is variable speed and computer controlled. In test-site installations, these new mini-split systems appear to be a relatively eco-friendly [they burn electricity so it depends on where you choose to buy your power from and in what manner they pollute]. The cost of operating a mini-split heat-pump is less than burning oil.

But these systems only work during the shoulder periods. In the fall going into winter, and in the spring coming out of winter. They are not capable of heating a home once we are in winter.

If you are interested in the topic of home-heating, the discussion each week is very instructional.

We plan to put in a Solar-Thermal heating system for our home [an array of twenty [3' by 6'] panels]. It will be providing heat to the thermal-bank we are already using.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:44 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
I was always told by my plumbers (and doctors !) that the healthiest option is steam radiators, the kind old homes have. Best for allergy and asthma sufferers. In Maine these would probably run on oil, so it might not be the cheapest option.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:53 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Natural gas fired hydronic baseboard heat, hands down. It is similar to steam radiators in concept only it does not use steam. It uses hot water that heated to between 160-200 degrees and then distributed by a circulation pump. It is very efficient, ductless, reliable, very even (when laid out correctly) and has a very fast recovery due to the nature of the heating. Unlike forced air, it does not kick up allergens nor does it overly dry the air. Hydronics heat your home both indirectly (IR radiant heat) and by convection. It is a highly effective and efficient way to heat a home. Though not as common, there are also LPG and oil-fired hydronic boilers available.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 AM

'Hydronic' ran in the floor is much more comfortable heat, and uses less heat; then baseboards.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
It isn't the cheapest but we have the steam radiators. I love them and we rarely if ever are sick with even a cold. The heat is very even. Over the years we have replaces both the boiler and the burner as the house was built in 1917. There is natural gas on our street and about half of the people have hooked up to it. We are taking a wait and see approach. Right now they are not saving as much as they thought they would as the ng prices are shooting up. It would have taken about $2000 to $3000 for us to convert.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
'Hydronic' ran in the floor is much more comfortable heat, and uses less heat; then baseboards.
It's also very, very expensive. Baseboard radiators work just fine.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
It's also very, very expensive. Baseboard radiators work just fine.
I have installed both types of systems in different houses I have owned.

Radiant heated flooring was much cheaper in components, then baseboards were.

Radiant heated flooring was much faster to install, then baseboards were.

In terms of expense to operate, ... radiant heated flooring is more comfortable and uses slightly less heat. So a radiant heated floor home consumes less heating fuel.

I could see, where if you had an older home, that needed to be back-fitted with a heating system. Installing radiant heated flooring into such an older home, could possibly by more expensive than baseboards, maybe.

I installed in the system in a new house, and it was much lower cost.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Hey all, getting back late here. But is radiating heat THE best for asthma? I know wood stoves are the cheapest but how can anyone guarantee that no indoor rise in air quality/pollution -- no matter how well insulated, cleaned, upkept, etc.?

Ok, again these are hard questions, I know, but you all are best to answer as most of you are in Maine & are dealing w/ this very cold winter thus far too.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Hey all, getting back late here. But is radiating heat THE best for asthma?
For asthma?

I would think that anything that gives off an exhaust fume would be 'bad' for asthma. Burning wood, propane, or oil, all have exhaust gasses.

Electric has no exhaust, clearly in terms of asthma that would be 'best'.

But electric is not the most reliable, nor the cheapest, nor the most comfortable source of heat.

Quote:
... I know wood stoves are the cheapest but how can anyone guarantee that no indoor rise in air quality/pollution -- no matter how well insulated, cleaned, upkept, etc.?
I do not think there are any guarantees in life.

Quote:
... Ok, again these are hard questions, I know, but you all are best to answer as most of you are in Maine & are dealing w/ this very cold winter thus far too.
No colder than average, not this winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: