Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:17 PM

375 posts, read 609,852 times

Advertisements

From the left coast, I'm researching an Albion property where the 40-year-old house is close to a small stream; close enough I'm told that, if built today, it'd have to be sited further back from the stream. Since a mortgage would be involved, I'd expect that flood insurance would be required. Any ideas as to relative cost?

For better sun exposure , I'd consider cutting some trees near the house. Are there often restrictions as to whether trees can be cleared near streams; and are these generally state, county or local regs?

Been told that the septic tank was recently pumped, but this tells me nothing about the leach field which I'm guessing is original. No idea if the original installer is still around or would have records as to location of field and whether it has been serviced since installation. I'm guessing that a regular 'home inspector' would not be, so who else might be qualified to inspect a septic system?

Any suggestions as to Maine companies for testing water and soil quality?

My Belfast agent is researching some of these issues; and yes I know that Google is my friend, but any specifics, especially your personal experience with any of the above is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 12:31 PM

332 posts, read 504,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2ME View Post
From the left coast, I'm researching an Albion property where the 40-year-old house is close to a small stream; close enough I'm told that, if built today, it'd have to be sited further back from the stream. Since a mortgage would be involved, I'd expect that flood insurance would be required. Any ideas as to relative cost?
I cannot answer any of your questions. Apologies. But I look at the Maine MLS several times a day and if the house is the one I think it is then, wow that is a nice house on a nice spot. And the price, while way out of my range, is really very reasonable. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:07 PM

43 posts, read 74,720 times
You should take a look through this guide on shoreland zoning:
http://www.maine.gov/dep/land/slz/citizenguide.pdf

The Mandatory Shoreland Zoning Act applies to land within 75 feet of a stream. Sounds like your house is grandfathered in, which is good, but there will likely be restrictions on how much you can cut within that area. I also believe the restrictions vary by locality, and some localities are more diligent than others on enforcement.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:13 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:

For better sun exposure , I'd consider cutting some trees near the house. Are there often restrictions as to whether trees can be cleared near streams; and are these generally state, county or local regs?

Been told that the septic tank was recently pumped, but this tells me nothing about the leach field which I'm guessing is original. No idea if the original installer is still around or would have records as to location of field and whether it has been serviced since installation. I'm guessing that a regular 'home inspector' would not be, so who else might be qualified to inspect a septic system?

Any suggestions as to Maine companies for testing water and soil quality?

My Belfast agent is researching some of these issues; and yes I know that Google is my friend, but any specifics, especially your personal experience with any of the above is appreciated.

Always check with the towns code enforcement officer first.
They can tell you what laws will apply for the tree cutting. Possibly the towns plumbing inspector can show you a plan of the septic system, but it would seem that the sellers would also have a copy. What any of the plumbing people will show you about the septic, is that it flows from the toilet into the tank. They would use a dye tablet to do the test.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:58 PM

Thanks, Fog, I believe you spotted it. I wonder if the property really is well priced; hard to tell when out in the boonies and no similar props nearby. But my agent's supposed to be researching comps.

Thanks DPO and Austin. I'll check that link and also give town hall a call to check on creekside cutting and plumbing.

Another issue is that the well head is in the basement - or should I say half basement. Apparently it's just a partial short basement with a crawl space. And the septic is also serviced from the same area - if what's been reported to me is correct. Doesn't seem very sanitary to have well and septic so close together.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Thanks, Fog, I believe you spotted it. I wonder if the property really is well priced; hard to tell when out in the boonies and no similar props nearby. But my agent's supposed to be researching comps.

Thanks DPO and Austin. I'll check that link and also give town hall a call to check on creekside cutting and plumbing.

Another issue is that the well head is in the basement - or should I say half basement. Apparently it's just a partial short basement with a crawl space. And the septic is also serviced from the same area - if what's been reported to me is correct. Doesn't seem very sanitary to have well and septic so close together.

austin has good advice, call the town office,,you can also ask if the place is in a floodzone,,

im in a floodzone , but when i re-mortgaged the bank overlooked flood insurance requirement and i didnt volunteer it,(it was 600 yr 15 yrs ago,,,think its double that now..,, ask an insurance company about flood insurance premiums if needed

have a water test, and inspections will reveal if they are too close together- well and septic

Old 03-08-2014, 05:10 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,129 times
Being able to easily get at the well head and the septic tank is a good thing.

I don't think that having the septic tank and well head located in close proximity is a problem. At least, I have twenty' +/- between mine. It's the distance between the well and leach field that is regulated.

Maybe things are the way they are because of the soils test (?).

Old 03-08-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
austin has good advice, call the town office,,you can also ask if the place is in a floodzone,,

im in a floodzone , but when i re-mortgaged the bank overlooked flood insurance requirement and i didnt volunteer it,(it was 600 yr 15 yrs ago,,,think its double that now..,, ask an insurance company about flood insurance premiums if needed

have a water test, and inspections will reveal if they are too close together- well and septic
Thanks, MBM. $1200/yr seems pricey, but I'll check it out. Heck, that's about what I pay yearly for car insurance in SoCal.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Being able to easily get at the well head and the septic tank is a good thing.

I don't think that having the septic tank and well head located in close proximity is a problem. At least, I have twenty' +/- between mine. It's the distance between the well and leach field that is regulated.

Maybe things are the way they are because of the soils test (?).
Agree, Maureen, that accessibility is a good thing, but so close together concerns me. An inspector should be able to point out issues if any, I presume. You raise an interesting point about potential prior soil tests; time will tell.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:50 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
"From the left coast, I'm researching an Albion property where the 40-year-old house is close to a small stream; close enough I'm told that, if built today, it'd have to be sited further back from the stream. Since a mortgage would be involved, I'd expect that flood insurance would be required. Any ideas as to relative cost?

"Been told that the septic tank was recently pumped, but this tells me nothing about the leach field which I'm guessing is original. No idea if the original installer is still around or would have records as to location of field and whether it has been serviced since installation. I'm guessing that a regular 'home inspector' would not be, so who else might be qualified to inspect a septic system?"

We have a moto for such things in Maine. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

You should not add on to the house or buildings close to the stream than what is already there. That said, you might be able to add onto one side if prior owners have not already done so. The limit for an addition is 30% of existing floor space or volume.

As to trees, you can cut any of the four "d's". That's dead, diseased dying or dangerous. You don't need permission top do that, but it's a good idea to take pictures before you cut in case you have neighbors who are busybodies or environmental whackos. Most Mainers are pretty easygoing, but there are a few radicals who want to control other people.

Remember, it is much easier to obtain forgiveness than it is to obtain permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine