Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,621 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Looking to buy a house within 45 min of portland maine in any direction. Top of my budget is 110k. Just need a small house for my husband and I. Garage and yard would be nice. Open to any size of town as long as it's reasonably peaceful and safe. Any thoughts on locations would be hugely appreciated. We're in our 50's and looking to retire and work on our home-based jobs. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 05:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecheapie View Post
Hi all! Looking to buy a house within 45 min of portland maine in any direction. Top of my budget is 110k. Just need a small house for my husband and I. Garage and yard would be nice. Open to any size of town as long as it's reasonably peaceful and safe. Any thoughts on locations would be hugely appreciated. We're in our 50's and looking to retire and work on our home-based jobs. Thanks!

look on realtor.com-enter your search criteria

the further you are away from portland,,,the value of money increases pertaining to properties.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
I looked on the realestate look up in my local realtor site and immediate found some houses that would fit your bill.

So they are here. You may have to do a little fix up, and they may not be what the people on HGTV think is wonderful, but you can find those houses pretty much anywhere.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:41 PM

We bought our house in 2007, and then rented it until 2011. It needed work and we got it for a good price. HGTV words are: "This needs upgrading". Now only 7 year later, you can't buy a house like ours unless you are willing to pay 69% more than we paid.

I would avoid renting if you can. Renters can be wonderful or impossible, but in Maine the law favors the renters over the landlord in all things. We had trouble getting our second set out of the house when we moved and for a period of time we actually had no place to go because the process of eviction takes so long. And then our renters sabotaged the house in subtle ways not seen until later when they left.

But we had no choice, we could cover the mortgage without their rental payment, since we had another house to sell.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,938 times
Zillow.com

Old 04-17-2014, 01:06 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
My suggestion would be to contact an area realtor. Zillow and Trulia frequently showcase houses based on their last recorded price that really are not for sale. Century21 and Remax cover rentals as well if renting to buy is an option. There are still bank -owned properties on the market that only specific entities, like licensed agents, have access to.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Look in Waterville, Oakland, Fairfield, Winslow, Skowhegan, Millinocket, Lincoln...to name a few. Wife and I have been looking and they (the houses) for that price range DO exist. I would refer an online agency for you to look at BUT I will be censored by this forum for recommending.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:53 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,526 times
You could send them a PM?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:20 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Within 45 minutes of Portland? Try Bath, Richmond, Bowdoinham, Bowdoin. You'll get more house/land/outbuildings for your money. South and west of Portland is more problematic.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
We bought our house in 2007, and then rented it until 2011. It needed work and we got it for a good price. HGTV words are: "This needs upgrading". Now only 7 year later, you can't buy a house like ours unless you are willing to pay 69% more than we paid.

I would avoid renting if you can. Renters can be wonderful or impossible, but in Maine the law favors the renters over the landlord in all things. We had trouble getting our second set out of the house when we moved and for a period of time we actually had no place to go because the process of eviction takes so long. And then our renters sabotaged the house in subtle ways not seen until later when they left.

But we had no choice, we could cover the mortgage without their rental payment, since we had another house to sell.
I read this post without seeing the name, and said "Wow those people sound just like us". And then I looked at the name and realized it was/is us.

Age has its disadvantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine