Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,435 times

Advertisements

So, in a year I will be graduating from college in Chicago & I've decided that I need to get out of the city. My family used to vacation up in Maine, & I think that I want to move to Maine after graduation.
My major is photography & I'm looking for a city/town in Maine that's artsy & friendly. I really have no idea where to start looking, so I thought I'd come here & see if anyone has any good suggestions for places to check out.
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2006, 03:40 AM

15 posts, read 68,444 times
I Lived in Several Places in Maine and The Whole state could be considered Artsy... Not "Big City Artsy" but "Liberal Arts Artsy" ... Living in Aroostook County (way up North) was like stepping back in Time... Living in Lewiston Auburn was more Modern ...Living in Bath /Brunswick / Topsham area was somewhere in the Middle... I would Suggest the Bath / Brunswick area.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:25 PM

528 posts, read 2,481,056 times
Portland or Brunswick are the first two that come to mind...depends on what else you're looking for in a town, other than "artsy".

Old 04-19-2006, 05:01 PM

92 posts, read 226,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanfare
So, in a year I will be graduating from college in Chicago & I've decided that I need to get out of the city. My family used to vacation up in Maine, & I think that I want to move to Maine after graduation.
My major is photography & I'm looking for a city/town in Maine that's artsy & friendly. I really have no idea where to start looking, so I thought I'd come here & see if anyone has any good suggestions for places to check out.
Thanks for your help!
I agree - it depends on what you're looking for. I live in Bangor, they have hosted the National Folk Festival here for the last few years (this year being the last). There are a variety of events that happen here each year.

MOST of Maine is friendly, but as you go further north I've found it gets better. Some of the people in the Portland area act like they were transplanted from Mass..

You can learn a little more about Bangor by going to http://www.bgrme.org, or the Greater Bangor Region at http://www.bangorregion.com/Website3/Start.htm. There's probably a ton of other sites out there too.

--D

Old 04-21-2006, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,436 times
I've lived in Augusta, Maine most of my life. It may be the state capital, but there isn't anything here. If you are into phtography, head for the coast of Maine. The "nightlife" can be found in Portland. Good Luck.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:03 PM

92 posts, read 226,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown
I've lived in Augusta, Maine most of my life. It may be the state capital, but there isn't anything here. If you are into phtography, head for the coast of Maine. The "nightlife" can be found in Portland. Good Luck.
You're absolutely right. Augusta is largely built on the Kennebec River and there's nothing there.

There's nightlife in Bangor because of UMaine Orono (and other colleges) (the largest of the UMaine campuses if I recall) and then there is in Portland because it's the largest metro in the state.

--D

Old 04-25-2006, 08:26 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,056 times
true, Augusta doesn't have much at all....a shame, since it is the state capital. Too bad the downtown/riverfront area doesn't get some development money, it could be a cute area.
I think a nice small town that is kind of "artsy" is Blue Hill....beautiful area, too.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 23,615 times
Default info on dresden and palmyra

Anyone know anything about these 2 towns? Looking to relocate from southeastern Ma. Would like a small friendly town with a good school system and horse friendly. I do like Bath - Georgetown area so am leaning toward Dresden but Palmya is definitely more affordable. Thank you for any help and info you can send my way.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:04 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanfare
Thanks for your help!
I think that the first question to ask is how you plan to support yourself. Is your photography career along well enough to provide you with the wherewithall that is necessary to pay the rent and feed your face? If not, you will have to remember that the local economy here will NOT support a new photographer at all, and even experienced ones have a hard time making it in photography alone here. I think you should start with asking where your other skills could be used, and then think about whether or not starting out in Maine is a good idea.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:07 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,728 times
I lived in Palmyra for a while. Feel free to ask questions if you would like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine