Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:22 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
YIKES! I can't imagine hearing that in the wild while camping...

I wonder if that's a noise like "you're getting too close...back off" or if it's like chatter to them...
The noise I truly HATE is when a big black bear is "clacking" it's teeth at you and pounding the ground with their front paws. That is usually followed by a brief, but heart pounding rush at you, if you don't back away at the clacking.

I've heard a Bobcat out in the woods as well as a Canadian Lynx, the Lynx is the one that caused me a bit more concern actually. In all honesty though there are two things in the North Maine wood I fear far worse than Bobcat, Lynx, or Bear; those are a low built bald-faced hornets nest, and a randy Moose. One because they come from seemingly nowhere and can quickly overwhelm you, and the other because he will stomp you into a little grease spot just because you are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 10:02 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I expected for the dogs to startle when I played that....they both looked up from their naps like "what did you just do??", but nothing more than that. Me on the other hand? not quite the same reaction! That's definitely a "back off baby"!
Molly! I did the same thing to my dogs...they barely looked up too.
Funny

Old 01-12-2008, 10:06 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The noise I truly HATE is when a big black bear is "clacking" it's teeth at you and pounding the ground with their front paws. That is usually followed by a brief, but heart pounding rush at you, if you don't back away at the clacking.

You know...I was JUST saying the other day "that clacking before a bear attacks is something"...hehehe

I think I would just flop over into the fetal position and wee myself.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:25 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
I know this is a little OT, but here is the black bear.
Language and Sounds of Black Bears (http://www.bear.org/Black/Sounds.html - broken link)
Water and Woods: Downloads / Animal Sounds / Bear Growling (http://waterandwoods.net/download.php?view.20 - broken link)

Old 01-12-2008, 10:27 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
In all honesty though there are two things in the North Maine wood I fear far worse than Bobcat, Lynx, or Bear; those are a low built bald-faced hornets nest, and a randy Moose. One because they come from seemingly nowhere and can quickly overwhelm you, and the other because he will stomp you into a little grease spot just because you are there.
During hunting season the only creature I fear is the 2 legged variety. The most dangerous ones are usually equipped with a Massachusetts license and a high powered rifle.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:29 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
During hunting season the only creature I fear is the 2 legged variety. The most dangerous ones are usually equipped with a Massachusetts license and a high powered rifle.

Worse yet, is one that has Mass license plates and a Maine non-resident hunting license !

Old 01-12-2008, 10:33 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
LOL!

M*******s, yes, but nimrods from New Jersey are feared more in my area!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:22 PM

16 posts, read 51,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
The sound is erie and will make ones hair stand on end.
Water and Woods: Downloads / Animal Sounds / Bobcat (http://waterandwoods.net/download.php?view.60 - broken link)
CHILLING! I think I'm glad I've never heard that while outdoors! Thanks for that, and the other sound bytes added to this thread. The moaning bear in a barrel trap made me sooooooo sad!!

Mom and I were wondering *why* it is that we've never heard the bobcat make any noise ( not that we are complaining, now!), and we've never heard any coyotes singing in the area. We know they are out there, but we have never heard them. We theorize that they have learned not to vocalize in urban areas, so as not to give themselves away. What's the opinion on that, anyone?

While on the subject of wild carnivores in urban areas....WHY are people so foolish with their domestic cats?? WHY do they let them out, when they have been warned of the dangers? We have coyotes, bobcats and fishers confirmed in our area, and rumors of cougars and bear as well. So why do people still let their poor little fur friends out to perhaps become some coyotes lunch? I know of at least three cats that have disappeared in our neighborhood since Bobbie showed up!

next ....more pics!

PS...I played the bobcat growl for my cat, and she didn't even blink. She looked disgusted with me in fact!

Last edited by hedgie1; 01-13-2008 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: forgot something...

Old 01-13-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Hey mom,

Can I keep her? Please.

Pretty please!!!
LOL.....NO

Old 01-13-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I have a big thank you to hedge for giving me permission to use the story and photos in MNN this week. I seldom get to report something like a bobcat. I think the last one, other than a couple I've seen but had nothing to report, was last winter when a bobcat spent several days feeding on a deer carcass. Hedgie's been a big asset to MNN.
thank you, Maine Writer (and all the rest of you!). My mom has really been enjoying all this attention

And now, some more pics. First, I wanted to post the series she took that started all this, of Bobbie in her hidey hole, waiting to catch a duck. They are not all that clear (and I don't think my original explanation was that clear either), but I hope you can see what is going on here. Bobbie has dug a hole deep enough for her to hide in, right on the ducks feeding area, by the river. All you can see is the top of her head, and she has managed to get snow on top of her head to further obscure herself. I'm going to post them in sequence - only one pic has an arrow pointing to her. You can see just how close she was able to get to the ducks, and how oblivious of her they were, until the final moment!

patience:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/hedgie1/patience.jpg (broken link)

more patience:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/hedgie1/morepatience.jpg (broken link)

they don't see me! :
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/hedgie1/theydontseemearrow.jpg (broken link)

SUCCESS!!:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/hedgie1/success.jpg (broken link)

duck delivery:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/hedgie1/duckdelivery.jpg (broken link)

pretty smart, I think! Next post will be some random shots Mom took. Please, folks.....if you use these pics anywhere, credit due! Photos taken by BJ Taylor copyright 2008. THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine