Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:33 PM

21 posts, read 76,846 times

Advertisements

Is Portland the best place to move to for a young 20 something? I live in South Florida right now and its really big and sprawling and I'd like something a little smaller, a lot cooler, but still relatively urban. I'm going to graduate soon but its going to be a history degree, not like a business degree or anything. I live pretty cheap though, I've always been a saver over a spender. I was thinking of going to grad school but I want to take some time off and move to a new place, at least for a little bit. Maine seems like a good place to wind down and relax for a bit, but I also want to be able to go out places...I like to eat, go to movies, theater and ideally, I'd like to live in a place with a decent singles scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 08:42 PM

51 posts, read 143,640 times
I'll make this quick and simple -

Young people move AWAY FROM Maine.

As for the singles scene - New Englanders (especially Mainers) are not renowned for their attractiveness, to put it delicately.

(Upon further reflection, I thought I should elaborate on your points:

"I live pretty cheap though, I've always been a saver over a spender."

You'll need to be. Cost of living is atrocious.

"I like to eat"

The food is generally bland, the seafood is overrated.

"go to movies"

Improving in that respect, but still no THX-equipped theaters. Limited number of releases.)

Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
Well, there's a late evening wet blanket. I guess all I can add is that we graduate about 60,000 history majors in our country every year and have jobs for fewer than 600 historians. I must ask; Why did you choose a major that didn't prepare you for work in that field?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:32 PM

37,455 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
I'll make this quick and simple -

Young people move AWAY FROM Maine.

As for the singles scene - New Englanders (especially Mainers) are not renowned for their attractiveness, to put it delicately.
Mainers are ugly?

If you went to France and said that all French people were ugly, they would be insulted.

I think that I should be insulted. I live in Maine, I know lots of other Mainers. Some of them are very attractive.

Some of the females who post on this forum are most attractive.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-08-2008 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimplestupid View Post
Is Portland the best place to move to for a young 20 something? I live in South Florida right now and its really big and sprawling and I'd like something a little smaller, a lot cooler, but still relatively urban. I'm going to graduate soon but its going to be a history degree, not like a business degree or anything. I live pretty cheap though, I've always been a saver over a spender. I was thinking of going to grad school but I want to take some time off and move to a new place, at least for a little bit. Maine seems like a good place to wind down and relax for a bit, but I also want to be able to go out places...I like to eat, go to movies, theater and ideally, I'd like to live in a place with a decent singles scene.
Portland is an urban destination, I see many young folks going toward the universities, though young people are everywhere in Maine.

Florida is sprawling you have that right, and Portland being one city is much tighter than Florida is.

Have you thought of what you would like to do for a profession?

I live in rural Maine, though from what I am constantly hearing about Portland it does sound like the young singles scene is very active there.

Don't let the trolls scare you away.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:39 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,406 times
I think you may really enjoy it up here. It will definitely be different than Florida, which at your stage in life is a great thing to experience. Their seem to be many attractive young singles here and their are many cultural events going on (though perhaps more low-key than bigger cities). It may be that you will find it expensive but if you end up in a decent roommate situation you should do fine.

Good luck wherever you land.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Well, there's a late evening wet blanket. I guess all I can add is that we graduate about 60,000 history majors in our country every year and have jobs for fewer than 600 historians. I must ask; Why did you choose a major that didn't prepare you for work in that field?
I asked my GF that same thing. She is currently a history major and plans to go all the way through grad school with it. She wants to eventually become a professor and history writer. Doesn't matter though; these days you basically need at least a BA in anything to get a decent job.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Portland is an urban destination, I see many young folks going toward the universities, though young people are everywhere in Maine.

Florida is sprawling you have that right, and Portland being one city is much tighter than Florida is.

Have you thought of what you would like to do for a profession?

I live in rural Maine, though from what I am constantly hearing about Portland it does sound like the young singles scene is very active there.

Don't let the trolls scare you away.

Beekeeper---I have followed comments on this post for the past few months and I have to say you seem to tell it like it is. Thanks for all of the input you add. What do you think of the Bangor area? My wife and I are considering making Maine our home in a few more years.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathernut View Post
Beekeeper---I have followed comments on this post for the past few months and I have to say you seem to tell it like it is. Thanks for all of the input you add. What do you think of the Bangor area? My wife and I are considering making Maine our home in a few more years.
Thank you.

Bangor? We like Bangor. A smallish city with everything that a city needs, and yet you do not have to go far to be totally away from it.

Personally I do not care for cities. However I do recognize that sometimes you need something and only a city can offer that thing.

Today I needed a couple parts, the first place that I called did not have what I needed. Had we lived way out in the boonies [or like when we have lived overseas] if the local iron monger did not stock an item, then you had to order it. Today it is easier stateside as we can purchase on-line and get things very fast. But here living near Bangor, I can locate ten other businesses that might carry what I need. To me that is the difference of living near to a city. The closest town may only have one hardware store, but you know that Bangor has a bunch of them.

Culture? Well my DW goes down to DC twice a year to visit her sister and they spend a week each time in museums and watching plays, etc. So we just do not require so much in that regard up here. Though Bangor does have a theater company, and the Jazz festival, and what not.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:58 PM

51 posts, read 143,640 times
To the original poster - I live in Maine and answered your questions honestly based upon my own observations and upon issues that have been raised and debated in this state. I stand by them. I would not like to see you go through the trouble and expense of uprooting to a place that does not appear to fulfill your needs as you have elucidated them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine