Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:46 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,802 times

Advertisements

I do have another thread about all of Maine, and what jobs are common, but this one is more in line were I want to live, as Maine is a BIG state. I would assume these areas would be high unemployment, and high poverty, but people do need to make money, so how do they do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 01:00 PM

321 posts, read 486,741 times
I can speak to Northern Maine:

- Work in healthcare. Hospitals are the largest employers in many communities. The hospital in Presque Isle, for example, employs about 1000 people.

- Do many different seasonal and/or semi-permanent jobs to string together a living. You will find that there are people who plow snow in the winter, do landscaping or construction in the summer, work at a local store in between, and prepare and sell firewood for extra income.

- Teach. Although there a many fewer kids than there used to be, as long as there are still children around, there will be teaching jobs. There are also colleges and universities in some places that employ people in various roles.

- Look to the outdoors. There are still some farming and forestry jobs and some people supplement their income by doing guide work. There are also businesses that exist to take advantage of the small amount of seasonal tourism that exists.

There are pockets of other industries here and there as well in different communities that may be of interest.

You will find that many people scrape by with service industry jobs...Walmart, restaurants, etc.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:40 PM

Farming/forestry/logging is good (being a farmer is on my list, but small farmers have it bad, so ill probally end up raising some chickens rabbits ect, maybe even grow some stuff, if i matched that w/ hunting i might be able to cut my food bill heavily 1 deer = alot of meat)healthcare is definitly a no-go, just not my thing personality, would lawyers be a good option, as i would assume people would need them for various reasons...

Old 02-14-2015, 01:42 PM

Guide work would also be another good job for my personality, i hike, caneo, ect, it could do well to bring in that extra $5 figurativly, and lots of people i know head to northern maine hunting, granted they dont use guides.

Now, what would be a good income to live in these areas, basically own my house, 1000 sq' is more than enough, and raise a family.

Were i am in ma, its a high amount....

Old 02-14-2015, 02:08 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,902,651 times
House or rental costs in western, northern or downeast maine are half what they are in the rest of the state (and probably a third of Mass.) The exception is anything on the water.

Unemployment in Aroostook is 7% right now and dropping slowly. So it's not doing too bad. There are many different ways to earn a living.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:36 PM

Thats not to bad to hear, 7% unemployment isnt that bad, alittle high, but not substancially high.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:47 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,902,651 times
No, it's been alot higher than 7% in the past, so we aren't really complaining. With low gas prices I think things will keep getting a bit better up here.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:35 AM

Starting to think this is wrong area, being diabetic, my meds are like 6k a year with insurance (20kish without) so ill need a job with insurance, or really good pay.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:28 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,653,145 times
Very few salaried jobs, they simply dicker....

Down East Dickering - Episodes, Video & Schedule - HISTORY.com

Hard way to make a living but you are your own boss.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:33 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,796 times
What do you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine