Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 18,941 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been putting off getting my car inspected but I just got a warning for it so looks like I'd better get moving. I have no idea if my car will pass or not, there are some problems with it. Does anyone know of a place in Southern Maine (York, Wells, etc.) that passes cars easily? A "lick em and stick em" location?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 12:10 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,275 times
That's a bit of a setup. Roll the dice like everyone else. Avoid the chain stores where they "find" things that may not need fixing. Many won't charge you to tell you it won't pass. Most are well aware they can get royally shafted if they pass something that goes out and has a problem, like the lady that got her inspection in Greenville a few years ago and the brakes failed and she drowned in the lake when her car rolled down the ramp. There's a reason for inspection. Not all of us know how to keep up a vehicle.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:44 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,340 times
So for your first post here you're asking members how to break the law? Smooth move.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 18,941 times
Did not know a member would be breaking the law if they gave me a recommendation for an inspection station...after all, it's the station itself which decides to break the law or not. Even with a small sample size of 2 users, in my first post here I understand this is not the type of forum for me..I truly hope you find peace in your life and learn to communicate respectfully at some point.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
I think that every licensed mechanic can do the inspections. They hate doing it though. To keep a shop profitable they honestly need to bring in roughly $60/hour. For your car to sit in a bay for 30-minutes as they inspect it, they can only charge $12.50, and part of that fee goes to the state. So every inspection they do, they are losing money.

The big dealerships all offer cut-rate oil-changes with a free inspection. We have a couple new cars, for them we let the dealership do all required maintenance and the free inspection.

We also have a couple really old rust-buckets. I know they will have problems, and I expect something to rust loose every year. So I ask a local mechanic to do a complete tune-up every year and to look it over for anything that is getting to be a problem. I do not mind dropping a couple hundred each year, just to keep the wheels from falling off. I pay that guy to do those inspections.

Some shops are rip-offs. Some are not. But you have to understand that they lose money doing these inspections. Give them $200 of honest business, and they will be far more willing to be straight on the inspection.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:36 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,277 times
Our vehicle is currently inspected from where we moved in Virginia, and now due at the end of this month.
We are not even sure where to go to get it inspected.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:21 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,690 times
Maine Vehicle Inspection (easy to pass location)-inspection-station.png

An official inspection station will have this sign displayed somewhere. Most car dealerships are inspection stations, but a lot of local service stations are as well.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,275 times
Just watch out for "idler arms, ball joints, cv joints, brake lines" etc. One chain store that begins with "V" is famous for not letting you get a sticker or out the door without at least $250 worth of work.

I would think Dwelley's might be an inspection station up in Princeton. Maybe not. Can't remember. Old.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:42 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Our vehicle is currently inspected from where we moved in Virginia, and now due at the end of this month.
We are not even sure where to go to get it inspected.
I think Bohanan's in Woodland still does inspections. VIP in Calais does them by appointment.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:52 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Just watch out for "idler arms, ball joints, cv joints, brake lines" etc. One chain store that begins with "V" is famous for not letting you get a sticker or out the door without at least $250 worth of work.
Valvoline was the place down in RI where my wife caught a guy with a clipboard watching all the associates try to sell up during an oil change. She knew the kid who changed her oil (she'd been there a lot). He told her under his breath that he'd have to hit her up for an air filter and cabin filter...just say "no". She did say "no", but when he left for greener pastures, I got the pleasure of changing her oil , as every time she went back to the big V, they'd hit her up for at least $150 (in addition to the oil change)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine