Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:54 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times

Advertisements

Please check out this thread. //www.city-data.com/forum/maine...or-august.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:41 AM

337 posts, read 429,907 times
You've received a lot of suggestions, all great, and from that you'll get the idea that there's a ton of stuff to see in Acadia. We've spent a whole lot of time up there and I'd like to add one side trip to an area that most people don't know exists.

If you do any reading about Acadia and it's history, you'll know that back in 1947 a major fire swept through the island destroying many/most of the mansions that had been there since the turn of the century. But, there are small conclaves of areas where there are are breathtaking homes just tucked away on a side road that's just outside of Bar Harbor.

Drive on Rt 3 out of the town and head toward Blackwoods Campground, Acadia's primary campground. First of all there's plenty to ogle at as you drive to that area. Then drive right past it and take your next left onto a road called "Cooksley Road". That road looks absolutely unassuming but slow way down and just look at the homes down there built into the sides of the mountain and tucked away like uncut jewels. This is what Acadia was like only on steriods. While these homes are just exquisite, imagine what the other burned mansions are like. You can also continue down on your self-guided tour and end up in Seal Harbor and you can continue on to the other tiny towns there, all seriously New England/Maine places that you only see in calendars.

You won't find this recommendation anywhere else.

Rome

Old 05-06-2015, 09:57 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Then drive right past it and take your next left onto a road called "Cooksley Road". That road looks absolutely unassuming but slow way down and just look at the homes down there built into the sides of the mountain and tucked away like uncut jewels.
One of the most enjoyable walks, and easy, in the park is off of Cooksley, and is called Hunter's Beach Trail. There is a parking it for it on your left right after the turn into Cooksley. And if you are so inclined there is a trail along the water there also.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:58 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
It would be nice if the OP would return, and comment on all the ideas that were given here.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:38 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Lots of great ideas here. I'm going to have to start a list. Thanks! It sounds like I'm going to need some new hiking boots and my backpack.

I forgot to ask. I'm a train buff both real and large scale (g scale models) are there any sites to see for the RR fan?

Old 05-07-2015, 06:07 PM

Train in Ellsworth Downeast Scenic Railroad | Travel Maine's historic Calais Branch Line in a beautifully restored vintage train.

Railroad Museums: MAINE (note: google is our speedy friend)

Old 05-07-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Loving these suggestions !
We have not been yet to Bar Harbor since our move up here, and so looking forward to the trips.

Any suggestions also to any 'dog friendly' areas? Would a leashed dog be able to also come to the tourist areas?
Pet Friendly Hotels in Bar Harbor, ME, US

Ellsworth, Maine:

http://www.bringfido.com/lodging/cit...th%2C+ME%2C+US

Dogs are allowed on most hiking trails in Acadia (limit is 6 ft leash), but not allowed on Sand Beach beginning June 15 through September 8 Pets - Acadia National Park (U.S. National Park Service) woof woof

http://stevespetsitting.yolasite.com/

(Lots of motorcycle enthusiasts visit Bar Harbor.)

Old 05-07-2015, 06:55 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
Thank you ! ( * where is the bowing smilie...*)

Old 05-09-2015, 07:25 AM

337 posts, read 429,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
One of the most enjoyable walks, and easy, in the park is off of Cooksley, and is called Hunter's Beach Trail. There is a parking it for it on your left right after the turn into Cooksley. And if you are so inclined there is a trail along the water there also.
Absolultely. I was going to suggest that. It's primordial. And, as you get to the bottom you'll notice the stream going to the ocean gets larger. Some nice little trout in there. I brought my fly rod last time and had a ball. Wish they were just a tad larger!

Rome

Old 05-09-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Loving these suggestions !
We have not been yet to Bar Harbor since our move up here, and so looking forward to the trips.

Any suggestions also to any 'dog friendly' areas? Would a leashed dog be able to also come to the tourist areas?
Here's more dog friendly info: petMAINE (Pet-friendly Lodging & Parks, Beaches, Trails)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine