Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:02 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Currently they are fighting over the school budget - today I saw one of the pigs (not really sure what pigs have to do with it) but they put one up today on the Union Street detour circle - waiting to see the pile of dung next. (pig says vote no - dung has a sign saying cut the sh.. vote yes) At least they have humor in their signage.
The pig represents "pork" in the school budget and my understanding is that it was made by a tea party sympathizer, but I don't know that for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 09:29 PM

12 posts, read 24,600 times
Wow, quite the chord I struck here. Thanks all for sharing your views!

Old 05-16-2015, 09:50 PM

321 posts, read 487,050 times
Greater Bangor is quite moderate. While the city is a little bit younger and more liberal, the surrounding communities (but probably not Orono) are a bit more conservative. It balances out quite well. I guess it really comes down to what you compare it to, but saying it's "very liberal" is certainly a mischaracterization, especially if you consider the southern part of the state and other parts of New England.

Certainly having political connections helps here, but in my experience, the political dealings here aren't that much different than what you would find in other cities. It's all about who you know, and this is the case everywhere.

And as far as I know, the Bangor City Council hasn't declared war on anybody, not that it would necessarily have the authority to do so even if it wanted to. It expressed a position on the national park issue, which seems to increasingly be the same position some of the communities near the proposed park are heading toward. To think that the Bangor City Council wishes ill will on people living north of here is crazy.

Bangor is slowly becoming more like Portland, but it is still relatively blue collar and the people here have somewhat low incomes. It's obviously bigger than most other Maine cities, so the political experience is going to be different than what you will find in Hudson or Washburn or Clifton. But it's definitely not some liberal enclave. Spending a few days in Bangor would undoubtedly confirm this.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:10 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cocomut View Post
Wow, quite the chord I struck here. Thanks all for sharing your views!
like a family gathering,,,everyone gets along,,until politics come up...

keep in mind,,,whether its southern, central, northern maine,,,
politics,,are NOT usually discussed in public,,

Old 05-17-2015, 07:42 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
When somebody asks a specific question about a community he is considering for a home, he deserves an honest answer as to what he will face.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Liberal city with a champagne taste and beer budget

Old 05-18-2015, 02:44 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodels View Post
Greater Bangor is quite moderate. While the city is a little bit younger and more liberal, the surrounding communities (but probably not Orono) are a bit more conservative. It balances out quite well. I guess it really comes down to what you compare it to, but saying it's "very liberal" is certainly a mischaracterization, especially if you consider the southern part of the state and other parts of New England.

Certainly having political connections helps here, but in my experience, the political dealings here aren't that much different than what you would find in other cities. It's all about who you know, and this is the case everywhere.

And as far as I know, the Bangor City Council hasn't declared war on anybody, not that it would necessarily have the authority to do so even if it wanted to. It expressed a position on the national park issue, which seems to increasingly be the same position some of the communities near the proposed park are heading toward. To think that the Bangor City Council wishes ill will on people living north of here is crazy.

Bangor is slowly becoming more like Portland, but it is still relatively blue collar and the people here have somewhat low incomes. It's obviously bigger than most other Maine cities, so the political experience is going to be different than what you will find in Hudson or Washburn or Clifton. But it's definitely not some liberal enclave. Spending a few days in Bangor would undoubtedly confirm this.
The only honest, non-political answer. And I was born at EMMC 60 years ago. And yes, crazy.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:13 PM

"To think that the Bangor City Council wishes ill will on people living north of here is crazy."

Those of us from Northern Maine know that we have shopping alternatives like Brewer and local communities closer to home. We also have alternatives as to airports like Frederickton which for many of us is closer to home.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:14 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Bangor is very liberal. They seized a fine deli where five generations of the same family had worked so a newer store could be built. The newer store owner had political connections. The traditional store owner did not.

Now the Bangor City Council has declared war on Northen Maine by endorsing a national park up here. It would be 3.2 MILLION ACRES. A century ago, Bangor was a lumber town. Today it is an artsy town. There is a statue of Paul Bunyan on Maine Street. Old Paul is a prisoner of war in their war against Northern Maine. We ought to go down here some night and repatriate Paul Bunyan to bring him home to Millinocket!
Oh, my gosh! Talk about stretching the truth!! Perry's got paid dearly for that property and "a fine deli"?? I loved the place, knew everybody sitting in the booths, but that building was a fire pit and it was simply a very rough BAR that sold great fried clams. I'd guess that few people that post here would make it past the door without turning around and walking out. The City wasn't going to leave that ratty old firetrap building standing on a neighborhood redevelopment. By golly you can spin a tale of woe. I sat and drank beer with Joe's daughter just before they shut down. Can't remember how I got home.

Your tale regarding the City Council and "war" is likewise rubbish. Nealley voted against the resolution "supporting" any national park, and Civiello did the same simply and ONLY simply because they wanted the communities that would be most closely impacted to make some decisions first. I know Nealley feels that SOMETHING has to be done north of Lincoln to generate jobs, but he stops short of cheerleading a park. Civiello is another thing altogether politically. She believes everything ALEC feeds her. You'd clearly love her.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:26 AM

"Oh, my gosh! Talk about stretching the truth!! Perry's got paid dearly for that property "

Take it or leave it. That's the deal with eminent domain. The Sail Inn was a great seafood restaurant overlooking the old Waldo/Hancock Bridge. It was also multi-generational. That family was forced out and their property demolished. Today it is a vacant lot that could easily accommodate the exact business that was demolished. They didn't get anywhere near what their business was worth.

I-95 could have gone west of the airport in Bangor over reasonably even ground instead of the dangerous S-curve across Kenduskeag Stream. Bureaucrats are fascinated by big projects and change. The laws of economics and common sense do not factor into many of their decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine