Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:52 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times

Advertisements

Well, I'd been all set to come up early / mid April. Then hubby sprang on me the other day that we'd planned on going to Key West that weekend for the annual secession from the US party. Oops!!

So, if we can't come up then it's going to be a bit before we can get up there. Summer time probably. So, what's a good time to be there in the summer? Anything exciting going on? We'd like to make a day trip to Boothbay Harbor while we're there, so if there is by any wild chance anything going on in both places the same weekend or maybe something going on one weekend in Boothbay and then something going on in Eastport the week before or after, that would be great too.

Just trying to put together a tentative vacation plan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,135 times
The biggest thing in Eastport in the Summer is the 4th of July Celebration. If you waited until late summer, then there are several labor day events that are worth seeing. There are lots 10000 or more people who attend Eastport 4th of July. If people are not your thing, then you should avoid that weekend. We went the last few days of July and first few days of August and had a great time. Good weather! There is a sailing ship that takes people out and is a restaurant and bar in the evenings. You should by all means take in the East Quoddy lighthouse in the Lubec area. In fact there is so much to see you won't get bored. I see that property prices are lower now than they have been. Many of the houses, and some of the property we looked at last summer are still for sale. Most of them have been reduced.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times
Indian Days is in August, Salmon Festival in September, July 4th holiday. Those are the three I can think of, but whenever you get there will be a festival of sorts. Just being there is a festival to me.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:39 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
I think my favorite time to be in Eastport is Salmon Festival. It's always the weekend after Labor Day. Great food out on the Breakwater, a really nice architectural walking tour, a sailboat parade, craft booths, and in the last couple of years they have the Pirate Weekend going on at the same time with a Pirate's Ball, a bed race, costumes, street sales. It's a fun time to be in Eastport.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Well, you need to come for the YaYa's meet n greet, of course! First part of June?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:44 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
When I used to visit my parents in Eastport we went to visit a home that was open like a museum, walk thru. It had a beautiful big round window with a gorgeous wooden frame that was like what you would see on a mirror or antique picture. This was a large window! Had a nautical feel about it like a port hole but like I say it was more like a round picture window. I don't know if it was in Eastport or ?perhaps the Rooseveldt home over on Campbello. Do any of your Eastporter's know the house I am thinking of? The window has stayed in my mind for over 20 years now...it and the view must have been really something.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:44 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,491,135 times
Yep, I forgot the Salmon Festival, and they have a Pirate Festival too. When we were there they were planning the Pirate event, and it looked like it was going to be great fun.
Personally I can't wait for the Sardine Drop on New Year's Eve! Cold or not, I want to see that!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:55 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
When I used to visit my parents in Eastport we went to visit a home that was open like a museum, walk thru. It had a beautiful big round window with a gorgeous wooden frame that was like what you would see on a mirror or antique picture. This was a large window! Had a nautical feel about it like a port hole but like I say it was more like a round picture window. I don't know if it was in Eastport or ?perhaps the Rooseveldt home over on Campbello. Do any of your Eastporter's know the house I am thinking of? The window has stayed in my mind for over 20 years now...it and the view must have been really something.
I believe that would be the house adjacent to the Roosevelt "cottage" on Campobello. There is a very large, round window that faces toward the water, on the back side of the house.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:12 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Default Campobello Cottage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I believe that would be the house adjacent to the Roosevelt "cottage" on Campobello. There is a very large, round window that faces toward the water, on the back side of the house.
We did go over to Campobello with the folks, so that is probably where it was. It was absolutely beautiful and made the outside view of the water, look like a framed seascape. Very effective! Thanks again, when I get to Maine I will want to see it again.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Well, you need to come for the YaYa's meet n greet, of course! First part of June?
That sounds fun!! We've got on in April in TN too. April in TN for a forum get together, June for the Maine get together, and September for the salmon / pirate festival. Wow. Sounds like I need to pick up a part time job here soon!!!

Thanks guys! I know hubby will be all for the Salmon / pirate festival. I have no doubt we'll be there for that. And I'll try my best to get up there in June for the get together - sounds fun!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine