Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 06:51 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

The site-work contractor who dug the hole to prep for our foundation and basement, punched through a layer of gravel aquifer. As a result my basement sump is an artesian spring. We have fresh spring water in our sump. Tested clean, but not what I had in mind for our basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 11:18 AM

304 posts, read 397,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

He said that UTs have no cable. I told him that his Orono taxes do not provide cable either, cable is a private company, that he must privately pay for.

UT's have no CABLE...

Is this true for ALL UT's???

I want to live waay out in the Rural, quiet less populated woods, but for goodness sakes, I gotta have my MTV....['c mon, sing that old song to this now]

I've got to have cable TV and Internet. It's about the only entertainment we've got!

- I LOVE watching Nat Geo, History Channel, Science Channel and Discovery. Plus I'm an international 'news nut'.
I watch ANYTHING about Alaska....'Alaska the Last Frontier, The Last Alaskans, Life Below Zero' (!!!)
North Woods Law (of course) Filthy Riches, and my favorite show of all time, Mountain Men (with Charlie, who's up in The County, hunting and trapping.

Seriously though, would that be true for all UT's?
How about Direct TV, etc for Internet connectivity?

What will I have to do, put two squirrels in a box, and watch them run around it???

Please let me know this one, folks!

Thanks!

CTwoodnutt

Old 06-05-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post

UT's have no CABLE...

Is this true for ALL UT's???
Most of Maine [52% of Maine townships] are UT. Most of Maine has fairly low population-density, is not common to see UTs with between 1 an 10 people per square-mile. Most of Maine [92%] is forest.

Many UTs have no paved roads, power grid, phone lines, or cable.

As far as I am aware no UT has a cable company, though I could be mistaken. There might be one.

However I would like to point out that there are homes in the UTs that do have running water and electricity.

Quote:
... I want to live waay out in the Rural, quiet less populated woods, but for goodness sakes, I gotta have my MTV....['c mon, sing that old song to this now]

I've got to have cable TV and Internet. It's about the only entertainment we've got!
You are funny

I have internet access through my phone-line, it works. Video media may take some time to buffer, but it works for us.

Quote:
... I LOVE watching Nat Geo, History Channel, Science Channel and Discovery. Plus I'm an international 'news nut'.
My Dw drives down to DC twice a year to visit a relative. She gets her fill of cable TV during those visits. I think after a day of it, she gets to where she can not stand any more of it.

I imagine that you might be able to stream some of that online.

Quote:
... How about Direct TV, etc for Internet connectivity?
You can subscribe with: Direct TV, or Dish Network, HughesNet, StarBand, ViaSat's Exede, or WildBlue.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:54 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,304 times
If your telephone comes in through "Fair Point", you can get tv through Direct TV.
Also, when we moved here, the Time Warner Cable ( TWC) installer proudly told us that they are able to bring cable to the most remote of areas... Check it out with them as they might surprise you...

Old 06-05-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
If your telephone comes in through "Fair Point", you can get tv through Direct TV.
Also, when we moved here, the Time Warner Cable ( TWC) installer proudly told us that they are able to bring cable to the most remote of areas... Check it out with them as they might surprise you...
I would love to speak with that TWC installer.

I have called TWC. They flat refuse to go into my township.

I have a long list of townships in Maine [ie, the MAJORITY OF TOWNSHIPS OF MAINE] that TWC will not provide service to.

Seriously give me his name

Old 06-05-2015, 09:19 PM

631 posts, read 749,455 times
Quote:
I would love to speak with that TWC installer.

I have called TWC. They flat refuse to go into my township.

I have a long list of townships in Maine [ie, the MAJORITY OF TOWNSHIPS OF MAINE] that TWC will not provide service to.

Seriously give me his name
Time Warner buys Houlton-based Polaris Cable — Business — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Our realtor told us about Medway/East Millinocket getting TWC soon, the monopoly better deliver. I've heard about TWC being real lazy about making progress, but loves to buy up other companies then never do anything with the new power.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
Time Warner buys Houlton-based Polaris Cable — Business — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Our realtor told us about Medway/East Millinocket getting TWC soon, the monopoly better deliver. I've heard about TWC being real lazy about making progress, but loves to buy up other companies then never do anything with the new power.
We will see.

I would love to speak with a TWC rep who thinks his company services most of Maine.

I have a very long list of townships that they do not serve.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:09 PM

631 posts, read 749,455 times
Quote:
We will see.

I would love to speak with a TWC rep who thinks his company services most of Maine.

I did some digging and found some disturbing information. Regardless of the purchase and billing moved over to TWC from Polaris the speed will always top out at 8mbps and in some areas 4mbps. Apparently Fairpoint has the upperhand with offerings up to 30mbps and terrible DNS issues.

To fix your spotty speed issues, for anyone who continually has problems with their internet services involved with TWC and Fairpoint. Buy your own modem AND use OpenDNS or Google's public DNS service, you'll notice a sudden sharp increase in speed and the spotty service issues should disappear near completely.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:46 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,304 times
Quote:
We will see.

I shall get you his name tomorrow !

Old 06-06-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
I did some digging and found some disturbing information. Regardless of the purchase and billing moved over to TWC from Polaris the speed will always top out at 8mbps and in some areas 4mbps. Apparently Fairpoint has the upperhand with offerings up to 30mbps and terrible DNS issues.

To fix your spotty speed issues, for anyone who continually has problems with their internet services involved with TWC and Fairpoint. Buy your own modem AND use OpenDNS or Google's public DNS service, you'll notice a sudden sharp increase in speed and the spotty service issues should disappear near completely.
Most years a power spike will fry our modem. I take it in and they replace it. One year I tried buying my own, but it could not synch-up. When I spoke with tech support they said that when they give a customer a modem, it's serial number is logged into your account. So only that specific modem can connect for you.

When I took the private modem back for a refund that sales guy said that it happens a lot. They sell modems and most are returned, because they can not connect to the phone companies here.

I use OpenDNS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine