Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 05:29 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times

Advertisements

Went for a drive today, investigating the area just south of Augusta. The house prices are a little better in Litchfield and Gardiner than to the south, and the taxes seem to be cheaper than Augusta or the Brunswick-Topsham area. I love both the agricultural areas (Litchfield) and the pretty antique-home town centers (Gardiner).

Anyone know pros or cons to living in this area, I'd greatly appreciate your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 05:59 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Went for a drive today, investigating the area just south of Augusta. The house prices are a little better in Litchfield and Gardiner than to the south, and the taxes seem to be cheaper than Augusta or the Brunswick-Topsham area. I love both the agricultural areas (Litchfield) and the pretty antique-home town centers (Gardiner).

Anyone know pros or cons to living in this area, I'd greatly appreciate your comments.
boomer, west gardiner is an area id highly recommend, well known for very low taxes,,,compared to neighboring towns,,,of litchfield, gardiner,
its out in the country yet 15 minutes to augusta

Old 01-20-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
boomer, west gardiner is an area id highly recommend, well known for very low taxes,,,compared to neighboring towns,,,of litchfield, gardiner,
its out in the country yet 15 minutes to augusta
Thanks very much for your input! I did get out to West Gardiner (forgot to mention it) --- out 9/126 to Spears Corner, to High St and back to Gardiner. Some very pretty places there. It was getting a bit dark by then so I had to head back home without seeing more.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
I always loved the look of gardner...with its convienent location I could never figure out why the market there was so slow. I think the Augusta/gardner area is just a dead area. I showed homes up there when I had my realtors license and I kid you not every home was vacant. So i cannot say why but I agree with you it was a very pretty area.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Thanks very much for your input! I did get out to West Gardiner (forgot to mention it) --- out 9/126 to Spears Corner, to High St and back to Gardiner. Some very pretty places there. It was getting a bit dark by then so I had to head back home without seeing more.
i can almost throw a rock to spears corner, just down the road a piece,

i love it out here!!!

ill use today for a good example,,,,my son and i rode our snowmobiles on the pond out front, ice-fished, then rode our sleds across the street ,,in the field and in the woods with many trails.
even tho it was a tad cold today, we had a blast!!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:51 PM

Sounds like I've stumbled onto a great location then! Thanks for the input, Flycessna. I'll be haunting the listings.
MaineBrokerMan, I'd have waved if I'd seen you. You must have had a great day outdoors; it certainly was nippy but beautiful. P.S. I just found a listing on Spears Rd tonight. Charming as all get out!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,263 times
No experience driving in snow. Do the cities keep the roads clear for driving in the winter? Thinking of moving out of these long summers and experience the opposite.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 AM

164 posts, read 353,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Barbara View Post
No experience driving in snow. Do the cities keep the roads clear for driving in the winter? Thinking of moving out of these long summers and experience the opposite.
cities can't keep it completely clean, and it is not just snow, it's ice too. Don't slam on the breaks...my sugestion is to do what most kids are taught, your first few snowy days go to a empty parking lot and practice especially breaking, and sliding...which I will have to do again since I have not driven in snow in 5 years

We really miss the snow, hope you get to experience it, so much more to do in the north.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,371 times
Cool Downtown Gardiner

I'm completely biased, (I'm the ED of Gardiner Main Street, the downtown revitalization group) but Gardiner is on the move! There are great new shops and restaurants moving downtown in the next few months, the gigantic waterfront development project, the Johnson Hall Performing Arts Center renovations, and our ever growing, ever lovely art walks and farmers market.

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-22-2009 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: new members cannot supply links

Old 07-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardinerMainStreet View Post
I'm completely biased, (I'm the ED of Gardiner Main Street, the downtown revitalization group) but Gardiner is on the move! There are great new shops and restaurants moving downtown in the next few months, the gigantic waterfront development project, the Johnson Hall Performing Arts Center renovations, and our ever growing, ever lovely art walks and farmers market.

the e.d. of gardiner? economic developer??

having dined at one of gardiners top shelf fine dining (gerards ) two nights ago,(on main street) i have to say, the main street needs some new businesses and excitement.

gardiner needs a prompto oil change, a car wash, a good meat market/store (need another store besides hannaford , (janelles would be a good location)

rte 201 has plenty of room for commercial development, maine street, gets a bad rap for parking,

the train depot should be a restaurant,(steak house)
with a dock out front (on the kennebec river) for drive ups,,sell gas,,and outside dining

just my two cents,,,boy its easy to be a critic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine