Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times

Advertisements

Balance is the key! I would NOT want to live in an area with only younger families. The most valuable lessons I've learned in life were taught to me by my Grandma. I wouldn't trade those quiet times with her for anything in the world!

I want my children to have the positive influence and teachings of their elders as well. Sometimes there is just nothing quite like "Grandma's touch".

But then there's the need to have a friend to go out skating and sliding with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:41 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
This is such an interesting discussion and the points of view are varied but not acrimonious. Some of our recent threads have only tangentially dealt with Maine issues and some have been "cranky"; this one brings out lots of perspectives and considerations. Let me go back and see if I can give reps or if I have to spread it.....24 hour thing. Nice to read what other people are thinking about and lookng for in their lives and in the lives of their families.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
There are a number of young professionals who are choosing quality of life over chaos in the cities. They might not make quite as much money, but they will live longer and enjoy life more in a safer place. For many of them that is huge. These talented people often find that the anticipated financial 'penalty' for living in Maine doesn't exist for them compared to their alternative. Many of them do very well. I have lunch with such a group monthly in Bangor. I'm the historian or 'token geezer' in the group. They think it helps to have a living historical resource. I enjoy the heck out of it and encourage these young folks full of energy.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:56 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Same here! In my endless research, I am having to be aware of the demographics of the various areas we have looked at. I am coming with 3 of my own little people, ages 7,6 and 2. It IS an important factor when you have a young family, and you have to make sure there is adequate stimulus for their age level.

One thing I've considered is the quality of education in areas where there is primarily an older population. You know, a city is either going to focus on educating the young or properly caring for the aging. That seems to be the trend that I am seeing.

Good question!
I know a darling little 7 y o (grand daughter) who seems to be very very happy growing up in Maine, living in Saco and going to school in Portland.
She loves the art museum, the parades and festivals in Old Port, she is an avid SeaDogs fan!!!!!; she loves building snow men and snow Sea Dogs; she plants seeds, she told me that "I know I have a beautiful voice; she and her Daddy go birding in the many parks.....as she grows older I have no doubt that she will find friends and activities to continue to interest and socialize her. At her last birthday party her mom and dad had 30 kids (I thnk that included most of her class plus friends and grown up relatives.

Last edited by elston; 01-24-2008 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There are a number of young professionals who are choosing quality of life over chaos in the cities. They might not make quite as much money, but they will live longer and enjoy life more in a safer place. For many of them that is huge. These talented people often find that the anticipated financial 'penalty' for living in Maine doesn't exist for them compared to their alternative. Many of them do very well. I have lunch with such a group monthly in Bangor. I'm the historian or 'token geezer' in the group. They think it helps to have a living historical resource. I enjoy the heck out of it and encourage these young folks full of energy.
I guess you just sorta described my situation...and I indeed have an appreciation for the older generation - I mean, just look at how much this world has changed in less than a century...the time may come where we need to resort back to our 'old ways' in how we live, grow food, get around, etc....and nobody's gonna be around to guide us. I think about that a lot.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:32 AM

323 posts, read 993,114 times
Ok I live in AZ and have been to Auburn.

Here in my community it is a kid mecca but really you only hang out with the kids your kids know and most of them you meet at school. The parents are very busy and you have to schedule a "playdate" and the parents have to look at their calander and plan a day that their kids can come over and play! I don't see to many kids playing in the street due to the fast drivers and fear of getting your kid taken away from you. Yes we have lots of choices for our kids in the city but with that comes big money, lot's of time, driving in traffic and plus you have to fit in school work and family time. I actually enjoyed things more when my life wasn't so hectic with stuff and choices.

I am not sure how old your kids are but when they are school age a lot changes with their social life and yours. You will meet lot's of people and be sure to schedule the "playdates" and invite the parents over to hang out, when your kids play sports you will meet lot's of dad's and mom's. Most of our friends here are from the school our kids attend.

I know my girlfriend in Auburn has lot's of friends ever since her young one started school. She went from being pretty bored to extremely busy and I can barely get a hold of her! They have poker night and game night and I saw kids playing in the neighborhood with eachother. In fact a new house is going up and 6 kids are moving in.

I agree the taxes are outragious and younger people have a hard time affording that...I know it makes me nervous for sure. We are looking into Scarborough also and I am concerned about sports in Auburn. I have an athlete and out here in PHX you can play anything you have time for. I feel for you but if it makes you feel any better I grew up IN a retirement community and still had friends and lot's of fun. You only know what can make you happy and what stinks now can change tomorrow. Get out there and meet people, go to church, join a club you just have to go for it-

Old 01-24-2008, 10:33 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I guess you just sorta described my situation...and I indeed have an appreciation for the older generation - I mean, just look at how much this world has changed in less than a century...the time may come where we need to resort back to our 'old ways' in how we live, grow food, get around, etc....and nobody's gonna be around to guide us. I think about that a lot.
You said it Shuffler. I feel the urgent need to learn more self-sufficiency in order to have some quality control over what I eat, in particular. For a couple of years now I've been gathering books and bookmarking websites on canning, knitting, vegetable gardening, composting, eco-friendly building practices, etc (though I've yet to start on any of these projects because I move every 6 months). But the absolute best sources for learning to have a higher quality of life are the older generations. We've a lot to learn from them. Maybe technology has advanced too quickly, resulting in social and environmental irresponsiblity. Responsible living isn't easy or convenient, but I think it's what many of us really want. Thus the desire of we 30-somethings to move to Maine, a state where such practices are appreciated.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
yes, it would seem the older generation actually knew how to live...whereas nowadays we have technology as a crutch, and most people would have no clue on how to fend for themselves or live with fewer amenities. The perspective of the older generation never ceases to amaze me...simple, stoic, salt-of-the-Earth kinda stuff. You just don't get that much anymore.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
AHEM!!! - I resemble those old people remarks.
I don't...well, not yet. But, my wife and I have no children, in the new town we are replacing a couple who had two (I don't know where they moved to but I'm pretty sure it's out of town).

Old 01-24-2008, 11:55 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
I live in an 1885 house and I know how they lived. I could do it today if I had to. Few people today could recreate those times. I have posted here that I cut ice on the lake the way the old timers did when they shipped ice from Maine to New Orleans.

When I built an addition onto the house I found some things in the walls. I found some brass lantern mantles and various old items. I also found a bottle that was about half full. It still had its paper label and it was "Miss Lydia's Preparation for Ladies". I carefully took the cap off and it was RUM! I don't know if it was actually shipped that way or it the lady of the house had her own private stock she accumulated from Hubby. It made me smile though to find it. I still have the bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine