Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:12 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,088 times

Advertisements

Yes, it is true. But I do have issues with many of the "self taught" -- not that it is not possible, but learning on your client's dollar -- and that is what it amounts to when you take your first project to press without having learned the ins and outs from the point of view of a service bureau and a professional printer -- often leaves a less than favorable impression on the client.

In the "old days" (like 10 years ago) there was a distinction between desktop publishing (which pretty much anyone can handle with the software out of the box and an instinctive sense of what "looks good") and design professionals. But that has evaporated -- for better or worse. Graphic design is communications and layout and commercial art and typography and especially if you get into the electronic media, tech stuff. All of which used to be specialized fields, for which one was trained.

I do not want to be seen as having a 'business.' The fact that you have put that in quotes as you have shows me that the perception that I have deliberately worked to dispel as I have build my client base here, is still valid... that working from home and having a business in your home is perceived as being less... valid? professional? real? ... than one in a designated office space. That is why I live "behind the shop" in a zoned business area, in a building that has been a business for years. That is why I incorporated and had a business phone.

I don't know if I will continue to work as a designer in Maine. I honestly don't want to have a "home business" with the attitudes that many folks have toward that. Selling and promoting my art (I paint Pennsylvania Dutch hex signs also) at events and such is a different thing, and I will do that. And if the Powers That Be intend me to design as well, then it will happen, and I will have an office and do it. But I won't do it all virtually. I like sitting down with clients and plotting out their projects and in the process teaching and explaining. It's an important part of the process both for me and for their ultimate satisfaction. I know... I make happy clients and while several have gone out of business for various reason, none have ever just "gone away" and certainly none have ever gone away mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Most people I know in graphic design work from home. Some went to school for it, some taught themselves and have no degree or certificate. They all created websites promoting themselves and their 'business'. Some created blogs to further help promote themselves, their website and their 'business'. Some have made a lot of money, some barely any, but the beauty of it is that they can work from any place they choose as long as they have an internet connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 03:04 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Yes, it is true. But I do have issues with many of the "self taught" -- not that it is not possible, but learning on your client's dollar -- and that is what it amounts to when you take your first project to press without having learned the ins and outs from the point of view of a service bureau and a professional printer -- often leaves a less than favorable impression on the client.

In the "old days" (like 10 years ago) there was a distinction between desktop publishing (which pretty much anyone can handle with the software out of the box and an instinctive sense of what "looks good") and design professionals. But that has evaporated -- for better or worse. Graphic design is communications and layout and commercial art and typography and especially if you get into the electronic media, tech stuff. All of which used to be specialized fields, for which one was trained.

I do not want to be seen as having a 'business.' The fact that you have put that in quotes as you have shows me that the perception that I have deliberately worked to dispel as I have build my client base here, is still valid... that working from home and having a business in your home is perceived as being less... valid? professional? real? ... than one in a designated office space. That is why I live "behind the shop" in a zoned business area, in a building that has been a business for years. That is why I incorporated and had a business phone.

I don't know if I will continue to work as a designer in Maine. I honestly don't want to have a "home business" with the attitudes that many folks have toward that. Selling and promoting my art (I paint Pennsylvania Dutch hex signs also) at events and such is a different thing, and I will do that. And if the Powers That Be intend me to design as well, then it will happen, and I will have an office and do it. But I won't do it all virtually. I like sitting down with clients and plotting out their projects and in the process teaching and explaining. It's an important part of the process both for me and for their ultimate satisfaction. I know... I make happy clients and while several have gone out of business for various reason, none have ever just "gone away" and certainly none have ever gone away mad.
I think that you are reading too much into my post.

I put business in quotes not to suggest that a home business is anything less then any other type of business environment but in that the person on the other end has no idea what kind of operation you have going on your end, whether it is a corporation in an office park, or your mother's basement. You can take that how ever you want, but both have the ability to make bank over night.

Umm....most people learn on the job anyways. You learn more with hands on experience then you can ever be taught in a class room. If someone has the ability, patience and determination to teach themselves, more power to them. Anyways, regardless of how one learned does not matter as it is their own fault for taking on a project that is beyond their skill level.

I am not aware of these attitudes towards home business that you are referring to. Did not know that there is a stigma towards them.

Also, yo can meet with clients anywhere.

I have seen what can be accomplished by those who put their minds towards goals while others frown upon them. Not always a quick and easy journey, but ultimately rewarding in the end.

Doesn't matter what I think anyways as it is your own (working) life.

Hope the best for you regardless.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE2 View Post
I have sent out my resume for over 50 different jobs in Maine! I am willing to cut my current salary in half just to get there BUT to date have only received 2 responses! HELP! I'm in a catch 22 - can't move to Maine without a job AND can't seem to get a job unless I already live there! I even applied at Irving Oil Company AND no luck! Please put on your thinking caps and help me with a solution. I've got to get to Maine!
After some thought, I don't understand why anyone would hire someone out of state that they never met when they could hire someone in state with whom they could actually sit down and talk to. Also, why would you want to accept a position with an employer with whom you know nothing about. Their website, emails and phone conversations might be pleasant, but it seems rather risky without really knowing what the working environment is like.

Probably the best thing to do would be to set up as many interviews as you can over the span of a couple of days (or how ever long you can afford) and then pay a visit. You can also scope out potential neighborhoods and get a feel for the town while you are at it.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM

I have been hired from out of state before a move previously... in the case of that employer, the job had gone wanting for some time, had been filled and then quickly became vacant again. It was a nightside pre-press supervisor position for a daily paper... so it was not a premium position.

If I were to be in a position to hire again (as I have been in the past) I would hire the most qualified person I could find.. and if that meant someone who was willing to move for the position, so be it. The most qualified is not necessarily living around the corner, nor the one that fits the company style. And yes, I CAN tell this from research afar...

Quote:
After some thought, I don't understand why anyone would hire someone out of state that they never met when they could hire someone in state with whom they could actually sit down and talk to. Also, why would you want to accept a position with an employer with whom you know nothing about. Their website, emails and phone conversations might be pleasant, but it seems rather risky without really knowing what the working environment is like.

Probably the best thing to do would be to set up as many interviews as you can over the span of a couple of days (or how ever long you can afford) and then pay a visit. You can also scope out potential neighborhoods and get a feel for the town while you are at it.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:31 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I have been hired from out of state before a move previously... in the case of that employer, the job had gone wanting for some time, had been filled and then quickly became vacant again. It was a nightside pre-press supervisor position for a daily paper... so it was not a premium position.

If I were to be in a position to hire again (as I have been in the past) I would hire the most qualified person I could find.. and if that meant someone who was willing to move for the position, so be it. The most qualified is not necessarily living around the corner, nor the one that fits the company style. And yes, I CAN tell this from research afar...
Thanks Starwalker! Besides, I wasn't expecting a potential employer to pay for my air fare up to Maine. Nor was I expecting them to pay for my hotel accomodations.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 AM

Starwalker,

I stand corrected

Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Starwalker,

I stand corrected
No need for "correction"... it is just two different points of view. If you have never hired remotely, are not a good judge of people unless you can lay eyes on them and shake their hands, it can be scary and not necessarily a good thing. If there are an abundance of qualified candidates, then there is no compelling reason to look to the larger pool, unless you think the company could benefit from a different point of view, perhaps.

For those trying to move and needing to find work first (which is getting to be a much large percentage of the population, I think) the whole thing can be frustrating. Folks say "come up and look around and arrange interviews" but even that can be hard to do. I had folks who didn't even want to talk to me when I WAS there, because I hadn't moved yet! I got a lot of "come back after you have moved..."

At this point all I have to say is thank the Gods for unemployment compensation! LOL

Now back to my regularly scheduled house hunt...

Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,030 times
Hey Guys,

Guess What? I've been contacted about a job I applied for AND they want me to come for an interview. I'm so excited I can't hardly stand it! Now, I just have to figure out how to take a day vacation in the middle of the week to fly up and back! Please wish me luck and keep me in your prayers that this works out.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
Excellant news ILUV!! Best of luck to you.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 PM

Great! Congrats! You got a nibble.. now hook 'em and reel em in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE2 View Post
Hey Guys,

Guess What? I've been contacted about a job I applied for AND they want me to come for an interview. I'm so excited I can't hardly stand it! Now, I just have to figure out how to take a day vacation in the middle of the week to fly up and back! Please wish me luck and keep me in your prayers that this works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine