Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,467,464 times

Advertisements

Acadionlion, thanks for the lesson in Maine geography.

Is Down East Magazine still located in Camden? That might be a possible job opportunity, while I realize that Belfast and Camden are not next door to each other it isn't a horrible commute. (except in the summer -)

Freelance is where the money is at in Graphic Design. I'd be willing to bet you could drum up some business just by visiting local shops/ galleries/ restaurants. If you're into print anyway. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:47 AM

263 posts, read 616,723 times
Medical care? Do you mean hospitals close to town? Waldo County General Hospital is located on Northport Ave. And several private practices are across the street.

Your wife may find employment easily in Belfast. Wal-Mart and Lowe's are looking to open stores in town and AthenaHealth Care has just arrived. Plus there is Bank of America. As for Graphic designer…I am not sure. Are you a graphic web designer? Belfast has hi speed Internet. Once in town you will feel out your job opportunities.

There are some great housing on the market right now. Condo's too.
Many restaurants in Maine are open seasonally. Belfast has many wonderful year around restaurants you can try like…Dockside, Darby's, Chase's Daily, Ocean's Edge, The Weathervane, Rollies Bar and Grill, Dudley's Diner, Chelsea by the Sea, Hide Away Diner, Oriental Plaza, Papa J's-seasonal, Penobscot Bay Inn, Thai Restaurant, Alexia's Pizza, Angler's (Searsport), Young's Lobster Pound- seasonal, Lookout Pub, 3Tides, and the fast food fav's Wendy's, McDonald's, and Pizza Hut. Take out or sandwich shop's: Jack's groceries, Subway, Perry's Quick Stop, Belfast Variety, Wasser's, Belfast Soup and Sandwich, Bell the Cat, and Weaver's Bakery-seasonal.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM

9 posts, read 35,274 times
Thanks arzachena! Well there's no shortage of restaurants that's for sure! Yes I do web as well as print. Good to know there is high speed internet. That's a MAJOR plus. Sounds like Belfast is expanding with some major companies coming to town. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I appreciate all the responses.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:51 PM

12 posts, read 29,507 times
I have lived in the area, Stockton Springs for most of my 48 years.
I have seen Belfast change dramatically over that time. Its better, but the downtown is rife with Real Estate Offices and Art galleries. There is one over priced clothing store and a few speciality shops. Dudleys diner is your best bet for a meal that wont break the bank.
Belfast is lively during the summer, but like all seasonal vacation areas it
shuts down for winter. The cost of living here is depressing at best. Rents, real estate, cost of heating oil are high compared to income. The town is listed as number 2 in the state for most expensive place to live in Maine. I was not surprised to read this. More and more folks are moving here from high rent, high cost real estate areas because its a bargain, but beware of the taxes, Belfast's are high. If folks who move here could become involved in the community to raise wages, Waldo County would be a better place. As it is, the high school is 3rd highest in the state for drug problems and recently we had arrests for 3 loaded guns found in the school, Bomb scares and arson. Nice ehhhh? What does that tell you about this small town? Your wife might be able to get a job at Athena, but like MBNA and BOA they may hire folks from away.
All in all its a fairly safe place to live, but rather boring during the long winter months.
If I moved into Maine, I would look at Damariscotta or Rockland. Nice communities with a thriving downtown. As far as Walmart and Lowes...well.....no one wants
them here, so that probably wont happen for a while yet.

Oh and forget the hospital! Band aid station at best.
If you need surgery, or emergency treatment,
go to Bangor for that. I speak of this from personal experience with a parent who
is now in a nursing home because of a visit to the ER in Belfast. If you would like details please ask.
There are very few holistic doctors in the Belfast Area.
Good luck!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 AM

9 posts, read 35,274 times
wow! I really appreciate the honest answers, annimmaine, though I was a bit shocked and disappointed. Not exactly painting a pretty picture, but the kind of information we needed to hear. As I posted earlier we have no children or commitments, and can basically move anywhere. Perhaps southern Maine may have more opportunity for work, good hospitals, culture, etc. I know my field, graphic design is rather specialized, and larger cities would have more opportunities. We just want a slower, simpler pace of life. Maybe we should check out Rockland as you mentioned, or Freeport and that area...

Old 02-03-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anninmaine View Post
I have lived in the area, Stockton Springs for most of my 48 years.
I have seen Belfast change dramatically over that time. Its better, but the downtown is rife with Real Estate Offices and Art galleries. There is one over priced clothing store and a few speciality shops. Dudleys diner is your best bet for a meal that wont break the bank.
Belfast is lively during the summer, but like all seasonal vacation areas it
shuts down for winter. The cost of living here is depressing at best. Rents, real estate, cost of heating oil are high compared to income. The town is listed as number 2 in the state for most expensive place to live in Maine. I was not surprised to read this. More and more folks are moving here from high rent, high cost real estate areas because its a bargain, but beware of the taxes, Belfast's are high. If folks who move here could become involved in the community to raise wages, Waldo County would be a better place. As it is, the high school is 3rd highest in the state for drug problems and recently we had arrests for 3 loaded guns found in the school, Bomb scares and arson. Nice ehhhh? What does that tell you about this small town? Your wife might be able to get a job at Athena, but like MBNA and BOA they may hire folks from away.
All in all its a fairly safe place to live, but rather boring during the long winter months.
If I moved into Maine, I would look at Damariscotta or Rockland. Nice communities with a thriving downtown. As far as Walmart and Lowes...well.....no one wants
them here, so that probably wont happen for a while yet.

Oh and forget the hospital! Band aid station at best.
If you need surgery, or emergency treatment,
go to Bangor for that. I speak of this from personal experience with a parent who
is now in a nursing home because of a visit to the ER in Belfast. If you would like details please ask.
There are very few holistic doctors in the Belfast Area.
Good luck!
Quite the picture you painted!

You made the High School guns/bomb/arson sound like multiple kids. You know it was one boy. Waldo County General is a small hospital, yes. Band Aid station, Harsh! Sound like you are unhappy living in Maine. I agree with some of what you posted, but Rockland is a better location?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:10 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,530 times
As noted, the troubles at the high school all trace back to one individual and are certainly not typical of either the school or the town. And Waldo County General is far and away one of the best small hospitals in Maine. I would hate to have it judged by one person's bad experience, especially when we don't know all the facts.

I would really like to see the study that showed Belfast as the second most expensive place to live in Maine, especially compared to the cost of living in places like Falmouth and Cape Elizabeth. Frankly I'm skeptical, but I'm willing to be convinced. Where did the statistic about BAHS being third in the state for drug problems come from?

Taxes are high everywhere in Maine, but if the property taxes in Belfast are a concern, there are plenty of small towns nearby, such as Searsmont and Waldo, with lower rates. I'm curious why Ann recommended Damariscotta -- property prices and taxes are higher there than in Belfast. Rockland-Thomaston are attractive on a number of levels, and you shouldn't make a final decision until you've checked them out.

Contrary to popular belief, the city does not shut down after Labor Day. In fact, IMO that's when it really comes alive, with events at the library and the University of Maine's Hutchinson Center and other venues around town. The downtown is always busy with shops and stores, although it could use a few more clothing stores and such. Check out Reny's for an unforgettable shopping experience. The movie theater has three screens and carries all the first-run shows.

There are several successful graphic design shops in the Belfast-Rockland area, and one of the benefits of having MBNA move to Belfast was a first-class Internet connection. If your wife is in the medical billing field, AthenaHealth should be her first stop. MBNA and BOA hired a lot of local folks and attracted others from around the state, but her background should give her a leg up.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 19,086 times
im orginally from Belfast ill rethink that decision if iwas you

Old 02-03-2008, 01:11 PM

I think Keyboard Komuso needs to visit Maine and find the right town for him and his wife. It may be Belfast or it may be another location all together. And that is ok.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:20 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,098,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri04915 View Post
im orginally from Belfast ill rethink that decision if iwas you
From the Recession thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri04915
well im from bangor orginally and im goin to tell you . u maybe alright but i wouldnt plan on it . Bangor qill get hit hard by recession di=ue to mostlu lost of stores not much factory work or nursoing work there
Ummm, Teri, which is it, Belfast or Bangor? Why so down on both towns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine