Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:35 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,976,324 times

Advertisements

I've been on this board long enough, and know enough about Maine to know that the smart thing to do is have a job lined up before you get there. The question is, how do you go about it? I've never gotten a job "long distance" before-every job I've gotten has been by way of a face to face interview. I'd be curious to hear from folks who have been successful landing a job in Maine before they moved. I currently work in higher education for one of the state schools here in New Jersey (Administration/Facilities-not teaching), so I've been looking at jobs in the University of Maine system quite a bit, but also at the private institutions as well. The school where I work does nationwide searches for the real bigwigs like Vice Presidents, etc...but for smaller time positions (peons like me ) I'm not sure how they'd react to someone who could only really interview on the phone or over Skype, etc...at least at first.

My wife, on the other hand, is a high school teacher (English). She has nearly 10 years of experience, a Masters degree in Writing, and is certified in Special Education. She loves her work and would want to continue as a teacher, but I've heard that Maine teachers do not pay into Social Security and that if she took a job as a teacher in Maine she would forfeit all of her contributions. Can someone confirm this? Also, I'd love to hear from any teachers from out of state who landed a teaching job in Maine as I have no idea how the job market is for teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 04:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
Badfish740 wonders:

"My wife, on the other hand, is a high school teacher (English). She has nearly 10 years of experience, a Masters degree in Writing, and is certified in Special Education. She loves her work and would want to continue as a teacher, but I've heard that Maine teachers do not pay into Social Security and that if she took a job as a teacher in Maine she would forfeit all of her contributions. Can someone confirm this?"

First off, there are no bad fish in Maine, only good fish. Send your wife though. We need her. My wife has 2 masters degrees and taught for decades. She taught in special ed, loved her work and retired.

Because I was in the Navy, she taught in six different states. My wife gets her social security benefits from those states where she paid into it. Maine does not participate in social security which could be a wise move considering the direction our country is headed.

With the exception of Portland which is eagerly recruiting refugees from third world countries, student enrollment in nearly all Maine school districts is declining. However, Maine's teachers are getting long in the tooth and retiring at an increasing rate. There are many opportunities for experienced teachers. Look for prosperous districts though, because most districts like to hire teachers who are recent graduates to keep their district budgets as low as they can.

I have seen all this for the last half century from both sides. Wife and I are both on the school board now and we know how the system is supposed to work and how it actually does work. That makes some people nervous.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:59 PM

173 posts, read 165,008 times
Welcome to the Maine Boards Bad Fish!

I am from NJ as well and I have looked at jobs too. It's good that you have a background in Education.

If you have looked long enough you will come to realize that Maine doesn't have a ton of jobs advertised. Not that they are not there, but when looking you will find what is there usually falls into a category of Education and Nursing. There are exceptions too that, but the bulk is in that field.

What would greatly help is if you could provide information as too where you may be re locating to. If you choose a Portland, Bangor, or Southern Maine in general there are much more choices. Then say up in Houlton or Greenville.

I come from a Business Administration background as well. Just like nabbing a good job here in NJ the hunt is scare. My best advice to you is be prepared for an immediate interview in the city you apply too.

Proper Interview attire

Two pairs of neat polo's and slacks.

Have some travel toiletries

Make the best damn cover letter you have written for each job.

A lot of HR or Small time bosses may not be keen on bringing in someone who has not yet moved. They will know your from out of state but what you will need to convey is that you are serious can interview immediately. You will need to be able to come through on that. Maine is not that far from us. You get hit up on Tuesday with a call back. You should be able to interview Thursday no later than Friday. It's just an example but the shorter the turn around time the better!

With that said, you are currently working. So you should have a formal talk with your bosses. Reaffirm that you love your job and the folks there. (standard BS ) However, your wife and yourself are exploring moving out to another state and explain the attraction in doing so. When you have this talk cover what you mentioned about relocation benefits that they offer to higher ups. Your not expecting them to cover costs however, it would be great if they or you can find out if there is an availability of work for you through their network. Overall this may be best.

Now if you still do not want to get your bosses attention in this or at least not yet. Take stock of your PTO. Does it need to be a sick day? Is it straight PTO where you can use them however you please? How much notice is ideal. If you can just go out the above mentioned plan will work fine. "Hey, I need to take day x and Y off for something personal" should do the trick.

Now you can also try soliciting for jobs too. Reach out through networking at places like this forum, linkedin(if your into that) job boards ,search for business and just cold call them. Tell them what you do and what you can do for them and see if you can get your foot in the door. I wouldn't rule out skyping as that is becoming for main stream, again though being able to see you in the flesh is best. See if you can get a weekend meet and great.

Lastly, consider entrepreneurship we have a great thread starter by reg here wolfhelm You should have already seen it if you lurk here

Good industrys to be in if i would like to live in rural maine?

A lot of Maineah's have chimed in with good suggestions. It's something to consider!

Old 09-01-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
First off, there are no bad fish in Maine, only good fish. Send your wife though. We need her. My wife has 2 masters degrees and taught for decades. She taught in special ed, loved her work and retired.
The name is a long story for another time... I'm glad to know that the social security is not an issue though, but you're right, I am 34 and my wife is 30, so who knows if it will even be there anyway.

Quote:
With the exception of Portland which is eagerly recruiting refugees from third world countries, student enrollment in nearly all Maine school districts is declining. However, Maine's teachers are getting long in the tooth and retiring at an increasing rate. There are many opportunities for experienced teachers. Look for prosperous districts though, because most districts like to hire teachers who are recent graduates to keep their district budgets as low as they can.
Would it be safe to say that many of the college towns (and maybe some surrounding towns) could be considered "prosperous districts," since it would stand to reason that a lot of the college's employees live in the area? I'm hoping this would be the case since it would serve to focus our search a little more. As you may have seen from another thread I started, neither of us would mind living as much as 45 minutes away from work, and from what I've seen, living 45 minutes outside of places like Augusta, Bangor, Waterville, or Lewiston could put us right where we want to be in terms of an affordable home, land etc...

Old 09-01-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Wizard View Post
I am from NJ as well and I have looked at jobs too. It's good that you have a background in Education.
I figure higher ed is my best bet, at least for right now. Hopefully my wife can land a K-12 teaching job as well.

Quote:
The name is a long story for another time... I'm glad to know that the social security is not an issue though, but you're right, I am 34 and my wife is 30, so who knows if it will even be there anyway.

Quote:
Would it be safe to say that many of the college towns (and maybe some surrounding towns) could be considered "prosperous districts," since it would stand to reason that a lot of the college's employees live in the area? I'm hoping this would be the case since it would serve to focus our search a little more. As you may have seen from another thread I started, neither of us would mind living as much as 45 minutes away from work, and from what I've seen, living 45 minutes outside of places like Augusta, Bangor, Waterville, or Lewiston could put us right where we want to be in terms of an affordable home, land etc...

Old 09-02-2015, 09:04 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,141 times
[quote=Badfish740;41048018]
QUOTE]

Maine teachers pay into Maine State Retirement, not Social Security. Any quarters your wife has earned in Social Security will remain with her. You need 40 quarters to draw SS and qualify for Medicare. There is a provision in Social Security that effects any SS benefit she would draw. It's called "Government Pension Offset" and basically the Social Security benefit is reduced by a certain percentage if a person also draws a State Pension. It only effects a handful of states, but Maine is one of them. Congress keeps saying they are going to repeal it, but hasn't happened.

It's a complicated formula that calculates the penalty. It doesn't affect one's State retirement, but does reduce the SS amount one would receive if they had enough quarters to earn a SS retirement.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf

Old 09-02-2015, 08:12 PM

[quote=kellysmith;41053819]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
QUOTE]

Maine teachers pay into Maine State Retirement, not Social Security. Any quarters your wife has earned in Social Security will remain with her. You need 40 quarters to draw SS and qualify for Medicare. There is a provision in Social Security that effects any SS benefit she would draw. It's called "Government Pension Offset" and basically the Social Security benefit is reduced by a certain percentage if a person also draws a State Pension. It only effects a handful of states, but Maine is one of them. Congress keeps saying they are going to repeal it, but hasn't happened.

It's a complicated formula that calculates the penalty. It doesn't affect one's State retirement, but does reduce the SS amount one would receive if they had enough quarters to earn a SS retirement.

https://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf

This was a very informative post.

Couldn't an individual voluntarily pay into SS? If the company or school has the services available to deduct pay and place it into 401k, savings, and checking account. Couldn't you also allocate the percent needed for the SS?

Old 09-03-2015, 03:52 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,141 times
[quote=Electric Wizard;41062227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post

This was a very informative post.

Couldn't an individual voluntarily pay into SS? If the company or school has the services available to deduct pay and place it into 401k, savings, and checking account. Couldn't you also allocate the percent needed for the SS?
Most school districts will allow you to pay into SS as well as State Retirement now. That allows the person to qualify for Medicare which is a biggy. It takes 30 years of "substantial earnings" to avoid the GPO. There is a sliding scale SSA uses to determine the amount of earnings that would qualify. It's increased over the years because of inflation.
Another tidbit to consider, State retirement is taxable income. (first $10,000 is non taxable for State Income Tax purposes) SS is probably not taxable, based on your other income, etc. That will make a difference when the retirement checks start rolling in too.

Posted the link too quickly yesterday. What affects the State Pension is another curve ball from SS, called the Windfall Elimination Provision....same story, here's the link.

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep.html

Old 09-03-2015, 07:16 PM

[quote=kellysmith;41064474]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Wizard View Post

Most school districts will allow you to pay into SS as well as State Retirement now. That allows the person to qualify for Medicare which is a biggy. It takes 30 years of "substantial earnings" to avoid the GPO. There is a sliding scale SSA uses to determine the amount of earnings that would qualify. It's increased over the years because of inflation.
Another tidbit to consider, State retirement is taxable income. (first $10,000 is non taxable for State Income Tax purposes) SS is probably not taxable, based on your other income, etc. That will make a difference when the retirement checks start rolling in too.

Posted the link too quickly yesterday. What affects the State Pension is another curve ball from SS, called the Windfall Elimination Provision....same story, here's the link.

Retirement Planner: Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP)

I couldn't give you any rep for it, but thank you!

Old 09-08-2015, 06:54 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,893,375 times
I have wondered how Maine became one of 14 to 17 states who do not withhold social security for teachers. Maine school systems save a lot of $ by not having to match FICA contributions from employees. They are always looking for ways to save money and this is a way. Another way is to hire less experienced teachers. Here is an article from The Ellsworth American about two teachers who recently left Ellsworth High School. I haven't read the online version, but if it's the same as the paper version, there was some working cleaning toilets at the Colonial before getting a teaching job(s). Beardsleys leaving after 26 years with EHS - The Ellsworth American

I know a young teacher who started out as a custodian for a Maine school system, then moved on to an Ed Tech III position, and eventually was hired to teach. I know another person who worked as an Ed Tech III for eight years before being hired as a teacher. She had at least 18 years' experience teaching before moving to Maine.... just a couple of examples.

There seems to be a shortage of special ed teachers so trying to find a job in special ed might be a good place to start looking. One of you might get a job you want sooner than the other. Then it's decision time.... one of you might have to work one or two (or even three) part-time or full-time jobs for $10 an hour for a few years before landing a "dream" job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine