Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 04:12 PM

5 posts, read 4,875 times

Advertisements

Next year or so my husband and I will more than likely be moving to Maine. We have 4 rescue dogs, so living just outside of the city is a must. We're coming from Washington State, and live 2 blocks off the beach currently. I have read about some odd beach laws restricting dogs from beach play at any or curtain times of the year. I'm wondering is it like this up and down the coast of Maine? Is there an area that is more dog friendly than another? We are researching Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth, and old Haven Beach? Any other suggestions or reason why we shouldn't pick one of these locations? I am an artist, so being close to Portland for events is a must. We have not kids, except the furry kind, and my husband works in IT, but works from home. Any recommendations or places of interest we should be looking at or considering would be appreciated.

Also, I'm wondering about the quality of drinking water and soil. Has anything there made it toxic on any level, like Fracking toxic spills etc?

Thanks

Last edited by pjollimore; 09-23-2015 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 11:55 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Overall, Maine is a very dog-friendly state. Most of the stores in Bar Harbor welcome dogs, some offer them treats, and a drink of cool water on a hot summer's day. There's a wonderful doggie store in Bar Harbor called Bark Harbor.

Yes, certain places have dog rules. First and foremost, clean up after your dog! If you want to be sure you can take your dogs on to the beach year round, buy oceanfront property and check the rules before you buy.

Sand Beach in Acadia National Park doesn't allow dogs on the beach June 15 through September 8 and Echo Lake Beach May 15 through September--pretty much when people will be swimming. Pets - Acadia National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Here's a website that might help you with some of your dog questions.
Top 10 Dog Friendly Cities in Maine

Maine State Parks and dogs on beaches: not allowed on beaches April 1-September 30.
Pets in the Parks: Reservations: State Parks and Public Lands: Maine ACF

Here are the dog rules for Higgins Beach. Beach Rules and Tips

Old Orchard Beach: Dogs are allowed on the beach before 10 a.m. and after 5 p.m. year round. Old Orchard Beach, Maine Pet-Friendly Hotels, Dog-Friendly Restaurants, Dog Parks and Travel Guide

and more about Old Orchard Beach.... (there is a dog park) http://mainecampgrounds.com/wp-conte...-Dog-Rules.pdf

so .... just pick a place and check the dog rules before you take your fidos with you.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:14 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Here's another dog happy link. Top 5 Things I Love About Living in Dog-Friendly Portland, Maine - HappyMeStuff*|*HappyMeStuff

Old 09-24-2015, 04:41 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times
In maine it seems almost everyone has a dog when im up there, atleast 'round our cabin.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 4,875 times
Great, thanks for the information. As far as the other things I was inquiring about i.e. toxic. I was surprised to read you can't eat fish out of the rivers or lakes due to toxic levels and beaches were 27 on a list of 30 for cleanest beaches. Almost rated the worst in the country.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:53 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjollimore View Post
Next year or so my husband and I will more than likely be moving to Maine. We have 4 rescue dogs, so living just outside of the city is a must. We're coming from Washington State, and live 2 blocks off the beach currently. I have read about some odd beach laws restricting dogs from beach play at any or curtain times of the year. I'm wondering is it like this up and down the coast of Maine? Is there an area that is more dog friendly than another? We are researching Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth, and old Haven Beach? Any other suggestions or reason why we shouldn't pick one of these locations? I am an artist, so being close to Portland for events is a must. We have not kids, except the furry kind, and my husband works in IT, but works from home. Any recommendations or places of interest we should be looking at or considering would be appreciated.

Also, I'm wondering about the quality of drinking water and soil. Has anything there made it toxic on any level, like Fracking toxic spills etc?

Thanks
There is no fracking in Maine. There is no oil here.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:03 AM

506 posts, read 683,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
There is no fracking in Maine. There is no oil here.
Except on rail cars delivering oil to refineries in New Brunswick.......and we all know how "safe" those are.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:04 AM

506 posts, read 683,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjollimore View Post
Great, thanks for the information. As far as the other things I was inquiring about i.e. toxic. I was surprised to read you can't eat fish out of the rivers or lakes due to toxic levels and beaches were 27 on a list of 30 for cleanest beaches. Almost rated the worst in the country.
Maine is absolutely polluted. Guess you better look elsewhere.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:59 AM

337 posts, read 429,987 times
Ha! No wonder Maine is so unpopulated! Now we know......it's because of the polluted beaches and rivers. I knew there had to be a reason. LOL

No state that experienced the industrial revolution back in the early 1900s escaped pollution situations, especially where businesses built on rivers to use their water for power and processing. Fortunately and eventually and early on, citizens saw the light and rescuing those waters and the forests surrounding them became a priority, especially in Maine. I can tell you, from first hand knowledge, that the word "pristine" is the one adjective I'd use to describe the bulk of Maine's waters. Just go anywhere.....up the coast or along the gorgeous rivers of Maine and examine them for yourselves. Go to Baxter SP and tell me that the lakes there aren't so pristine that you can't see 30' down clear as day. If the waters were so polluted, would Maine lobstermen be pulling record harvests of shellfish......hundreds of tons year by year? Would the world-class river fly-fisherman be so popular virtually everywhere in the state, especially up in the North Woods? I've experienced all of it, first hand, and can tell you that anyone who makes the statement that Maine is a polluted state is simply misleading you. I'm not saying that there aren't specific issues that still need to be addressed but if there is one thing that every Mainer I know is hot on it's keeping their state clean and addressing any long-term issues as best they can.

Drive to the coast and experience the vast, unbelievable beauty of the coastline where, as Jack Perkins says, the unstoppable meets the unmovable; the ocean meets the craggy shore line of volcanic rock. It's too gorgeous to believe. You won't see McDonald's wrappers there nor beer cans or oil smears or sludge or anything else out of place. Same goes for the rivers, lakes, and ponds I've experienced. I haven't see 'em all. No one can because there are just too many.

Some people just can't allow themselves to be happy and figure they need to bring everyone else down.

Rome

Old 09-25-2015, 07:15 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
Except on rail cars delivering oil to refineries in New Brunswick.......and we all know how "safe" those are.
Nobody fracks rail cars...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine