Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 04:55 AM

27 posts, read 44,678 times

Advertisements

Hi, first time poster, I've read quite a bit in old threads.

I lived on a farm in western MA for over 20 years, lost it during divorce. Prior to that, I lived in Binghamton NY, in the snow belt of central NY. Snowy cold winters in both places. The weather that sails down off the Great Lakes can be very nasty. Last winter snow came to my hip and it was bitterly cold.

I'm staying in mid-coast Maine just now, hunting for land. I've done all kinds of searches, and would like somewhere that's the same size as what I lost in MA. Sixty eight acres, woods, fields, a pond and a stream. Decent, non-rocky soil. Aroostook seems to have what I'm looking for. I'm not a party animal, and I don't need lots of social time (mostly I get that from writing to friends online).

I drove to Houlton and looked at a couple pieces of land up there. It was a three hour and change drive, which I was expecting. Everyone I ask around here thinks moving to The County is analagous to flying into a black hole. I've been warned that the politics up there are crookedy, and anyone looking to make a difference gets treated with hostility.

I don't get why locals would be antagonistic. Their economy could use the help. This is the last move I plan to make. I want to grow produce up here same as I did back in MA, it being the thing I know best how to do.

So, what gives? Why do mid-coast Mainers act like I want to live in a rural ghetto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 05:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
"and anyone looking to make a difference gets treated with hostility."

Why would you want to go there and make it different?

"So, what gives? Why do mid-coast Mainers act like I want to live in a rural ghetto?"

Because that is how many from lower Maine regard us. Most of them have never been north of Bangor (which is in the southern half of Maine.)

Old 12-17-2015, 06:17 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
The County is my favorite part of Maine. If I could figure out a way to make a living up there, I'd move tomorrow.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:56 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
If you care what people think............. you dont belong in rural maine. Its only for the strongest of will, and those that have the strength to stick it out in the long winters with very few services.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:04 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karesuando1988 View Post

I lived on a farm in western MA for over 20 years, lost it during divorce. Prior to that, I lived in Binghamton NY, in the snow belt of central NY. Snowy cold winters in both places. The weather that sails down off the Great Lakes can be very nasty. Last winter snow came to my hip and it was bitterly cold.

I'm staying in mid-coast Maine just now, hunting for land. I've done all kinds of searches, and would like somewhere that's the same size as what I lost in MA. Sixty eight acres, woods, fields, a pond and a stream. Decent, non-rocky soil. Aroostook seems to have what I'm looking for. I'm not a party animal, and I don't need lots of social time (mostly I get that from writing to friends online).

I drove to Houlton and looked at a couple pieces of land up there. It was a three hour and change drive, which I was expecting. Everyone I ask around here thinks moving to The County is analagous to flying into a black hole. I've been warned that the politics up there are crookedy, and anyone looking to make a difference gets treated with hostility.

I don't get why locals would be antagonistic. Their economy could use the help. This is the last move I plan to make. I want to grow produce up here same as I did back in MA, it being the thing I know best how to do.

So, what gives? Why do mid-coast Mainers act like I want to live in a rural ghetto?
Welcome

I live a tiny bit North of Bangor, technically still in Southern Maine. I moved here in 2005. I may lack the mindset of long-term Mainers, though I know many people who live in Aroostook.

What I have heard is they do not like folks moving to Maine, to change it into the place they left.

If you liked Mass, then stay in Mass, and do not try to modify Maine into duplicating Mass. The same would go for people from California [like me], or people from NC, or Pa, or NY, ...

I would recommend that you rent a home your first year in Maine. That gives you a chance to explore the state, really find which region suits you and maybe locate a better deal.

Good luck

Old 12-17-2015, 07:20 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
I think you would find Aroostook to your liking. I've lived there all my life. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Volvo Line yet. It does exist, and right now you are on one side of it, Aroostook is on the other. One thing I will mention, is if you drove up the Interstate to Houlton, that gives you a sense that you are in the middle of no where all the way from Bangor to Houlton. Drive up Route 2 instead and you will see community after community along the way. The Interstate was built by-passing these towns. I wouldn't stop looking in Houlton. Further north along Route 1 is very nice. Consider the Sherman area. With the mill closings around there, it's a depressed real estate market. Don't move to the County without a means of support. Jobs aren't that difficult to find, but you'll need more income than you will get selling produce. As long as you don't move to the County and immediately start telling all the folks how they are doing things wrong, you will be fine. County folks look out for each other.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:22 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
What I have heard is they do not like folks moving to Maine, to change it into the place they left.
Yep. If your wanting to change things, you will be in for a wake up call. People live in rural maine because they like rural maine. Same reason you want to move there.

Only difference between you and them is...... they dont want it to change. And they out number you.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:53 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Yep. If your wanting to change things, you will be in for a wake up call. People live in rural maine because they like rural maine. Same reason you want to move there.

Only difference between you and them is...... they dont want it to change. And they out number you.
Well Stated !
I moved up here to have the life that exists here. If I wanted life as I had it before, I would not have moved to start with.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:05 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times
Quote:

People are just rude where every you live. I found that to be more the case in rural Maine also. Have you looked in Caribou? I have a friend up there and the landscape is more suited for farming and the people were extremely friendly. It is potato country. The winters are mostly all snow and not the ice rain. My friend lived on the outskirts of town and had several acres with all the features you described. I would suggest a weekend trip to get the feel.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:26 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:

I think a lot of people on here want to know what you mean by the bolded section. Welcome to Maine but please leave the crap from away behind you.

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine