Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 10,297 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Utah county, UT with our six children, ages 20 -6. Joel works for a telecommunications company in Provo, and I am self-employed (I clean houses). We are tired to the traffic, the smog, and the rat-race. We are tired of working hard and getting very little in return. We both come from very small towns and would love to move our family to a much smaller community. We have been looking at Aroostook county in Maine.

Our only question is, how can we make a living in that area? We would love to own a business and work together. But what to do? Mind you, we are not just jumping into something without thinking. We are taking some business classes and doing our research and thinking about this very carefully.

I thought it would be a good idea to talk to someone who is from that area. Are we crazy? I look forward to your input and suggestions. What would be a good small business? How do people make money to support their families? We are not interested in being wealthy -- we just want to have a house and food and school for our kids.

Thanks for listening, Jacque Baldwin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 07:40 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,103,899 times
I'm replying for two reasons....one to move your post so hopefully someone with some insight to "the County" can respond, and second, how did you come to consider Aroostook? It is beautiful and the people are great, but I've only visited and don't have a lot of info for you. Good luck, and I hope you get some replies to your post!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:47 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,784 times
Aroostook County is beautiful but poor, the second poorest county in the state after Washington County in eastern Maine. It's a tough place to make a living, and there are towns up there that you will drive through and marvel that there's any reason for their existence. The agricultural base still exists, although it's far smaller than it once was, and it's the foundation for much of the economy up there. Presque Isle and Fort Kent have University of Maine campuses. Mars Hill has the wind farm. Houlton has a gorgeous brick downtown that's crying for renewal.

It's my personal belief that Maine in general and Aroostook County in particular will be good places to live in the next few decades as we go through the effects of Peak Oil and climate change. It still has good (and cheap) farmland for food production and plenty of wood for heat, as well as excellent rainfall and water resources. Aside from the occasional blizzard, it's not subject to extreme weather events like tornadoes or hurricanes. But it is isolated, which is good or bad depending on what you're looking for.

I would really suggest you visit and spend some time up there before you make any decisions. For some people, The County (as we call it here) can be severe culture shock.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:52 PM

9 posts, read 42,490 times
Smile Hey

I spented alot of time ther and live about an hour away, it's potatoe picking country and alot of hard work.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:24 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Smile The County

It would be a large culture shock if you are coming from Utah County, Utah. Aroostook County is the furthest north county in Maine and is still dependent on agriculture and timber production. Winters are much more severe than Utah because the latitude of The County is at 46-47N compared with 38-39N for Utah County. This area typically does not have many people moving there from other parts of the country. Other jobs are generally tied to the University at Fort Kent and Presque Isle like the other poster said. The politics of the area is obviously going to be more liberal considering that Utah is the most conservative state in the entire country.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:51 PM

87 posts, read 322,334 times
Well I've never lived there but my parents are from there and I spend a lot of time up there as a child (often entire summers). Making a living can be hard up there. I have many relatives still there and they work in the schools, post office and paper mill and I'm sad to report to you that they all got jobs from knowing someone who knows someone and often had to wait a while to get into the job they wanted. I know there are jobs in the healthcare field but those can be few and far between too. There are potato fields up there that use to create a lot of jobs for very little pay (my parents picked their entire childhood and that money went to support the family) but a lot of those have gone away since no one is picking by hand now. And sadly a lot of people are moving out. There's a whole lot of doing what you can and working when and where you can. Often times people work more then one job. Hopefully I'm not just generalizing though, that just seems to be the case with the people I knw.

I too worked for many years in the telecommunications industry where I live and have looked in the past at getting a job up there in that industry but it's next to impossible. Those types of jobs are coveted to say the least.

It's really too bad though. The land is beautiful!

One other thing to consider (although you may already know) that most of the towns in Aroostook county that line Canada are primarily French and Catholic. Very little diversity, especially in the way of religion. That may or may not be a factor for you.

All that said, I would say if you could make it, then do it. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2007, 06:04 PM

117 posts, read 430,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishinggirl View Post
My husband and I live in Utah county, UT with our six children, ages 20 -6. Joel works for a telecommunications company in Provo, and I am self-employed (I clean houses). We are tired to the traffic, the smog, and the rat-race. We are tired of working hard and getting very little in return. We both come from very small towns and would love to move our family to a much smaller community. We have been looking at Aroostook county in Maine.

Our only question is, how can we make a living in that area? We would love to own a business and work together. But what to do? Mind you, we are not just jumping into something without thinking. We are taking some business classes and doing our research and thinking about this very carefully.

I thought it would be a good idea to talk to someone who is from that area. Are we crazy? I look forward to your input and suggestions. What would be a good small business? How do people make money to support their families? We are not interested in being wealthy -- we just want to have a house and food and school for our kids.

Thanks for listening, Jacque Baldwin
Aroostook County is a good place to go if you want to get away from it all~but there are some serious life style adjustments with getting away from it all. First it gets cold. I am talking bone chilling cold, frost bite cold wind chill cold. Second, jobs don't pay that well and jobs can be hard to come by. But here you really are challenged, you learn you can do more than you thought you ever could. I would not trade my seven years up here for anything. In those seven years, I have learned alot and met some interesting characters. You may be able to do a house cleaning/office cleaning business, I can't say, I have a friend who makes $12.00 an hour cleaning houses. Many of the jobs around here are medical, there is a need for nurses, home health people etc. so you may want to consider that aspect. Keep in mind, though, you WILL travel, it is nothing to drive 50 miles in The County.

Last edited by rabbitlover; 04-29-2007 at 06:14 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,214 times
Ther is no money to be made here. Good thing getting rich was not part of your plans. With such a large family making a living here, providing health insurance and food would be IMPOSSIBLE. I moved here 2 years ago w/ 2 businesses money to buy a home and get those businesses started back up after the move. (Good businesses, construction & womens clothing store). Both myself and my fiance are unemployed, uninsured, losing our home and looking for a way out. The landscape here is incredable, but you have to assosiate and if someone can take advantage of you they will. Its dog eat dog. Its a big state and very isolated in the Northern region. People tend to forget its here.Try Montana it is closer to your current location thus making a move cheaper, less isolated and 10x more beautiful that Maine.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:53 PM

161 posts, read 419,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmh691 View Post
Ther is no money to be made here. Good thing getting rich was not part of your plans. With such a large family making a living here, providing health insurance and food would be IMPOSSIBLE. I moved here 2 years ago w/ 2 businesses money to buy a home and get those businesses started back up after the move. (Good businesses, construction & womens clothing store). Both myself and my fiance are unemployed, uninsured, losing our home and looking for a way out. The landscape here is incredable, but you have to assosiate and if someone can take advantage of you they will. Its dog eat dog. Its a big state and very isolated in the Northern region. People tend to forget its here.Try Montana it is closer to your current location thus making a move cheaper, less isolated and 10x more beautiful that Maine.

Montana more beautiful than Maine? Any state without an ocean is not beautiful!

Alan

Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmh691 View Post
Ther is no money to be made here. Good thing getting rich was not part of your plans.
Wow, you dug up a thread that is just a few months shy of being dead for 3 years to post this as your first post? Somebody needs to get out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine