Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:28 PM

121 posts, read 320,754 times

Advertisements

First, I have to say how great it is that there are so many of you here that I remember. Has anyone heard from Elcarim?

My situation has changed considerably since I last planned on moving to Maine.

My sister and I and our Mom are now going to be the ones making the move. My sister cleans house for a living and makes about $25 an hour here in Santa Fe. She doesn't work for wealthy people , more teachers and nurses and retired couples. Would she possibly be able to find enough work to make a living.

Second, our Mom has Alzheimers and is 86. We need to be near a medical clinic or hospital.

My question: Is there a town that would be better for us than another. I can guess that Eastport might not be the best idea , but what about Camden or Belfast? I would appreciate any advice. Is Portland the only practical answer? Thanks guys in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 07:42 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSisters View Post
First, I have to say how great it is that there are so many of you here that I remember. Has anyone heard from Elcarim?

My situation has changed considerably since I last planned on moving to Maine.

My sister and I and our Mom are now going to be the ones making the move. My sister cleans house for a living and makes about $25 an hour here in Santa Fe. She doesn't work for wealthy people , more teachers and nurses and retired couples. Would she possibly be able to find enough work to make a living.

Second, our Mom has Alzheimers and is 86. We need to be near a medical clinic or hospital.

My question: Is there a town that would be better for us than another. I can guess that Eastport might not be the best idea , but what about Camden or Belfast? I would appreciate any advice. Is Portland the only practical answer? Thanks guys in advance for any help.
Glad to hear from you again!!!

El is here in Maine, not active on the board but friends with many. She and her family have made a fantastic transition and are still loving every minute of it (even the challenges!)

I have no idea what cleaning ladies get, but my feel for the area around Bangor, where we are (about 30 min. north, in Corinth) is that wages would be much lower and there would not be as much work.

Sorry I couldn't give you more help.

Starwalker

Old 02-07-2010, 08:59 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
I am glad to see you posting here once again.

I have no answers for your questions though, sorry.

Welcome back

Old 02-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Thanks Starwalker and Forest, it's good to be back! I've really missed all you guys!!

Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,698,184 times
Hello and welcome back to the forum! I sent you an email to answer some of your questions. (I also do house cleaning and wanted to go into more detail about it privately. Hope that's okay!) Good luck with everything!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 AM

Smile Glad you made it to Maine!

Thanks lovemaine! Happy to get your e-mail!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
The Camden/Belfast area would be a better fit than Eastport. There are good hospitals close to both towns.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:13 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,889,563 times
I agree. Eastports nursing home is very good in my experience. My mother was there with alzheimers and they were really, really goo with her. Calais hospital is good too. but it is a good drive especailly in winter. The closest major hospital here is in Bangor. 21/2 hrs away.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
As far as cleaning homes, if you can build a clientel in Bangor of more well of people you probably would do ok. I am not sure what the hourly rate here is. Camden might be worth looking into as there are quite a few very well off people there.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 AM

393 posts, read 982,300 times
As someone who is going thru this with my own mom, I think you need to concentrate on where you can get the best services for her. There will probably be a point where she cannot be in your home any longer. My mom became violent and not only would wander, but would actually try to "escape" and there was only so much I could do to secure my house. When it was no longer safe for her (or me!), I realized she could no longer stay at home with me. Do not make the mistake of putting her in an unsecured facitility, because (again speaking from experience) you will have to hire private 24/7 "companions" to watch her which is a fortune, or subject her to yet another move to a secured facility , and change of any type is very very traumatic for Alzheimers patients. If being in close proximity is important to you and you would hope to visit daily, then that obviously would affect your decision. There are always tons of facilities listed online and thru the yellow pages, but until you visit these facilities personally, don't believe anything you hear about them no matter how good they sound based on brochures or via the director. You really ideally need to make a trip up to Maine to see what there is for your mom, and then base your move on that. I wouldn't worry too much about finding a house-cleaning job - there will always be a need that you can fulfill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine