Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:36 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times

Advertisements

They are kinda like the hat jeremiah johnson wears i think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 07:46 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
I do not recall if I have ever met him, sorry.

My hats are like this:

In Tijuana you get 18 of them for $12.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:47 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times
Im assuming that is sarcasm, but im talking the hats he wears in the movie jeremiah johnson. And the hats i see are like felt/leathers versions of your hat. I personally wear a bass pro shop baseball cap, or a london fod felt hat like the above when out in the wide open sun.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:24 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
That could be it, but i heavily doubt its just that when they also were belt buckles and jeans. Looks to me like maine has alot of wana be cowboys,...
John Stetson made his first cowboy hat in California during the 1949 gold rush, but his first was for himself. He sold it to go back east where he came from and began making them in Pennsylvania, his home state.

Pennsylvanians, not cowboys, were the ones who first wore the Stetson cowboy hats. Why did they catch on in Philadelphia?
Because they protect the head, offer shade for the face and the eyes, keep the rain off your head and out of your face, and look good doing it.

The same reasons the cowboys adopted them, southerners adopted them, midwesterners adopted them, etc. etc. They are practical, stylish and expensive headwear. People everywhere buy them for exactly the same reasons they always did.

What is a Mainer supposed to look like, anyway?

Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Like Red Green, including suspenders.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:45 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
So non of you have seen these hats (again not ten gallon, but smaller versions) or have rarley seen them?
Nope, not one.

Quote:
Now whats with all the belt buckles/country music. And again not big texas belt buckles, but rather something about the size of a fist?
None. What's with the caring about how we dress? We wear what we wear because it's how we want to dress. We listen to the music we like. We're obviously not the stereotype you were expecting and/or hoping for. We're individuals just like everyone in every other state.

Quote:
Who is he?

Old 12-29-2015, 04:12 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Whenevrr i am up in maine (i was last week as well) i tend to see men wearing cowboyish hats. Not ten gallon hats, but smaller versions. Is this common up in maine, if so may i ask why?

Its normally middle aged to elderly men, but i have seen some kids do it as well. It seems common from what i see, but idk why the northeast would have clothing styles known in the southwest.

On another nore ive been noticing a ****ton of country music (not pop country) but things like toby keith, jason aldean, hank williams charlie daniels, which seems contrary to my music post months ago.
I think you ran into the local chapter of the Tea Party.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Im assuming that is sarcasm, but im talking the hats he wears in the movie jeremiah johnson. And the hats i see are like felt/leathers versions of your hat. I personally wear a bass pro shop baseball cap, or a london fod felt hat like the above when out in the wide open sun.
Mine are cheap. Those your talking about are expensive.

If mine gets blown loose in the wind and tramped by my hogs it is not a big deal. Since they cost less than a buck a piece.

If I had a $100 hat I would be hesitant to wear it much.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
John Stetson made his first cowboy hat in California during the 1949 gold rush, ...
The "1949 gold rush" ???

I am familiar with a "California Gold Rush" (1848–1855) and a "Klondike Gold Rush" (1896 and 1899)

Old 12-29-2015, 08:53 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Couldn't keep a stetson hat on walking through the alders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine