Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:05 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
We're obviously not the stereotype you were expecting and/or hoping for. We're individuals just like everyone in every other state.
This might have been taken a completly wrong way, as i never meant to bring up stereotypes, with the exception of the fact i thought it would be alittle odd for a new englander to wear one of those hats, as i rarely if ever see people wearing them, in mass, nh, vt, or ct, however i did notice many of them up in maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 10:18 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
This might have been taken a completly wrong way, as i never meant to bring up stereotypes, with the exception of the fact i thought it would be alittle odd for a new englander to wear one of those hats, as i rarely if ever see people wearing them, in mass, nh, vt, or ct, however i did notice many of them up in maine.
No stereotypes? Then why do you think mass, nj, vt, and ct are all alike?

Old 12-29-2015, 11:58 AM

i was stating that i very rarley see them when i am in those states, as opposed to maine. I have seen a few from time to time, but its rare. However in maine, as i stated, i made the observation that i have noticed more. I am not stereotyping, merely stating an observation.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:22 PM

1,069 posts, read 746,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

Who is he?
Jeremiah Johnson is the name of a the protagonist in a 1972 film starring Robert Redford and Will Geer. Johnson was a mountain man during the 1820's fur era and wore a hat like the one worn by Redford on the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

What is a Mainer supposed to look like, anyway?
Perhaps TheKezarWoodsman is thinking that all Mainer's should resemble this gentleman on the left including the oilcloth rain hat.
Attached Thumbnails
Stetson/cowboy hats???!!!-lobsterpegs.jpg   Stetson/cowboy hats???!!!-jeremiah-johnson.jpg  

Last edited by irishcopper; 12-29-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 12:41 PM

Im assuming the last part was sarcastic humor?

Old 12-29-2015, 01:22 PM

1,069 posts, read 746,631 times
Quote:
Im assuming the last part was sarcastic humor?

That's up to you. It's a free country or at least it was until 2008.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:30 PM

337 posts, read 429,987 times
In New England, it was common for men to wear a brimmed hat. They were not in the "western" style but more in the English style, brimmed and some with and some without a crease. How do I know? Just look at the photos in the link below. I don't think you'll find one man in those photos without a brimmed hat and they were the predominant business in Maine: logging. TJ's Woodshop - Untitled
Men wore a hat with a brim right up until Kennedy was killed and hats fell out of favor. They are coming back again, however. I, personally, have worn both comfortable and dress brimmed hats similar to the ones my Dad wore in the 50's since I was 18. I have four of them I swap:some for good and some for everyday. They keep you ears warm in the winter. No kidding. They block the wind from chilling your earlobes very well and the wool or beaver in them keeps your head warm. I suspect that country music has had some influence on them but New Englanders have been wearing them for over a century.

Rome

Old 12-29-2015, 07:47 PM

Whats a hat crease? And that is what i wanted. Some of those hats are very close, but slightly smaller than what i have seen.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:01 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Whats a hat crease? And that is what i wanted. Some of those hats are very close, but slightly smaller than what i have seen.
When you block a hat you can put creases in it.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:16 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times
I think most fellas wear baseball caps as I do. I do also wear a brimmed hat(Indiana Jones size) as well. Haven't seen a true cowboy hat since leaving the west coast. Of course I am an old rock and roller so don't hang at country western venues either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine