Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:50 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,659,872 times

Advertisements

Yep, you can have total privacy in Maine. People wont even know you died.

Link

Not surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:18 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post

Link

Not surprised.
I do not read the article that way at all, and therefore disagree with that statement.
She was a recluse, removed herself from people even not answering the telephone etc. Stated to anyone that knew her that she wanted to be alone etc. Adding also in many places, homes are occupied in summer months ( ie the snow birds), and with little activity at the house- her own preferences to being left alone- all obviously proved to be this end result. ( even obviously any family she may or may not have had....)

Everything I have seen of " Mainers" is that people help each other, aid if asked with a warm friendly response. As example- there isn't a person around here if say one of us mentioned that we needed help with plowing a driveway etc that someone would jump in/ or send someone without a second word.

Sounds like to me she did all she could to be alone and received her wishes. Sad but true- by her own choice- she lived as she died. Alone.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:23 AM

536 posts, read 845,540 times
In "Country of the Pointed Firs," by Sarah Orne Jewett (1896), one of the stories is about a hermit, jilted by her fiance and depressed, she retired to a small mid-coast island. She died there, and that was how she wanted things.

But people knew her story, and the fishermen always left part of the catch on the beach nearest her house. Those are wonderful stories of mid-coast Maine. Henry James thought they were perfect as short stories.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
its a good thing its winter and cold.....

Old 01-16-2016, 12:42 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,151 times
Quote:

Link

Not surprised.
I can see how that could happen. But it could only happen to someone who really has some kind of emotional or mental issue.

Almost everyone is driven to some kind of interaction with others, either in a church, or a group of some kind. To isolate yourself that much means that you have some kind of issue with how you interact with the world. She was kind of like a bag lady living in a cardboard box on the street. But even there, she would have had connections to other street people.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:09 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
Quote:

Link

Not surprised.
I agree, Mainers keep to themselves and get offended if you try to meet your new neighbors. To have someone dead next door for two years and no one smelled the decomposing body?

While living in NJ I like getting to know the people in my neighborhood. I lived on a small public road so we were at the end of the list to get plowed so I plowed it. An old widow lived nearby and we shoveled her walks and drive. NJ helps the neighbors too as does every state I am sure. Sandy showed how caring people can be when in a desperate situation.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:18 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,659,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Sounds like to me she did all she could to be alone and received her wishes. Sad but true- by her own choice- she lived as she died. Alone.
Not sad at all. Many people do not wish to socialize and really do want to be left alone.

Welcome to Maine. Land of the introverts.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:20 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,570 times
I have the opposite true, as many here on the Maine forum as well, as people known their neighbors, and all work together if one asks.
Mainers are friendly, warm, sincere and social. They are also respectful- if a person wishes not to be around people, they respect that too.

Now- when I lived in NJ- that was a different story. In general people ignore you completely basically except for maybe a hello from a neighbor as they jump in their car to leave....

Old 01-16-2016, 06:44 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I agree, Mainers keep to themselves and get offended if you try to meet your new neighbors. To have someone dead next door for two years and no one smelled the decomposing body?
Disagree. I have gotten to know some of the neighbors, both new and old. But, they also know that we like our privacy, and if the Mrs. and I were to die here I suspect that it could be a long time before anyone realized it. It's not unusual. It seems to me that people are generally willing to respect your wishes, whether it's that you want to be friendly and gregarious, or you want to be left alone.

If you restrict contact with others, then it stands to reason that it might be a while before anyone realizes you've kicked the bucket.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:11 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I can see how that could happen. But it could only happen to someone who really has some kind of emotional or mental issue.

Almost everyone is driven to some kind of interaction with others, either in a church, or a group of some kind. To isolate yourself that much means that you have some kind of issue with how you interact with the world. She was kind of like a bag lady living in a cardboard box on the street. But even there, she would have had connections to other street people.

I can see how this could happen, and it's probably a lot more common that people would think. In the Mobile Home Park I live in here in Florida, it has happened more than a few times. These are older people. Though they are certainly found before 2.5 years. It is usually sometime after the 10th of the month, because lot rent must be paid by then. These are people with no family, and this park is primarily vacant 6 months of the year. No one knows who is here, other than when the snowbirds come back and take over.

As far as emotional or a mental problem, that is not always the case. Some have no peer group where they are at. Believe me that goes on also. I don't know about the woman in the story, what her reasons were for being so alone. I just know it does happen, and I wish it were not so. No one should be all alone when they are sick or need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine