Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:21 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
I personally have not seen anything in a drug problem here. We moved here a year and a half ago- and one the reasons why is that Maine has the lowest crime rate of the states.

Honestly I think the reason the governors statement, take out of contest in the repeats of this story, was taken more in shock of the issue- and to place the story as in priority of seeing it as a problem.

We honestly just do not see it. We live in a small town in Maine, where everyone knows everyone to a point. People take care of each other without being pushy, and where the big activities around the area is the weekly farmers market in the spring and summer... Or other area "events'....
Out of curiosity, what part of the state do you live in?

Old 02-09-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I didn't serve in the military and never worked in manufacturing. Now that that irrelevance is out of the way: Actually, a local Buttspot guy hammered the deceased, and a guy from Lincoln was in on it. It turned out, I believe, that they thought he was a narc, not a drug dealer. Just plain mean people. Over 40 years ago. Same thing with a cabin burning down at Lucerne years ago with no arrests. Mean people.

A rather comical diatribe for some so bent on "Constitutional Government." Some Judges are forced to follow the Constitution. Elected Judges, like elected politicians, are manipulable, which is the apparent goal. The monied amongst us would LOVE that.

Purdue Pharmaceutical (and others), with their well financed lobbyists and cadre of lawyers initiated this last miserable wave of addiction in the early 90's with the advent of oxycontin. How about simply making oxy illegal period? I have friends that lost children - late teens - to overdoses of diverted drugs. Just saying "Judges in Maine" don't care when their rulings, following the State and U.S. Constitutions, don't suit you . . . I do not recall there ever being a body found in Brewer Lake related to the Jacob Buck murder by Freeman. Literary license?
The problem with making it illegal is to do so will sentence terminally ill people, or people with short term painful injuries (think multiple broken bones or burns from accidents) to needlessly suffering in order to pay for the criminal (and I mean criminal) pushing of it for chronic pain.

They have their place and are classified for a reason. When they were initially developed, it was for short term use for specific horribly painful situations. Examples of that are 1. terminal illness and dying and 2. crushing pain caused by injuries until the injuries healed sufficiently to begin the process of weaning them off to non-narcotic pain relievers (think war injuries for example).

It frustrates me when we punish the people who most need these drugs because some big pharma jackwagon wants his bonus and their stockholders want to make magic money - not to mention the scumbag dealers who peddle it on the streets. I'm also tired of feel good measures like making me pony up my drivers license to get real sudefed.

They've been doing that for a while now in an effort to stem the making of meth. Ha! The number of meth labs in this state have gone nowhere but UP. Not only that, the drug dealers have gotten even more crafty by changing the formulation to the "shake and bake" variety.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"I do not recall there ever being a body found in Brewer Lake related to the Jacob Buck murder by Freeman."

That's OK, Maineac. I do.
I can find only one newspaper story about a boy who was found in Brewer Lake during July of 1979, but I'm finding that google newspaper archives are adding more and more editions, so it's entirely possible that they haven't gotten to that one yet.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,2661582&hl=en

Be that as it may, this whole sorry situation is not going to change without significant multifaceted problem-solving actions, with emphasis on ACTIONS.

The governor basically (and as usual) opened his mouth before his brain engaged. And to be truthful, he pretty much said out loud what a lot of people are thinking. But it's sad that he couldn't have made better word choices so people would actually look at the problem and not just the fact that he stuffed his foot in his cake hole....sigh...once again.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:28 PM

319 posts, read 346,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebdark View Post
They've been doing that for a while now in an effort to stem the making of meth. Ha! The number of meth labs in this state have gone nowhere but UP. Not only that, the drug dealers have gotten even more crafty by changing the formulation to the "shake and bake" variety.

The problem with the drug production and distribution channels is the people running the show are quite intelligent. The guys down the road from you doing the visible street level dirty work may not be the sharpest tacks in the box (and, of course, these will be the ones to get caught and taxpayers will spend tons of money to prosecute and incarcerate). But the guys running the show are smart. They never touch the drugs and the minute any adjustment is made to deter the channels of production or distribution, the plan and execution just mutate like a virus and become stronger. And everyone in that industry is dispensable. It is designed that way for survival and strength.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:52 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
All states across US face increasing drug use. If buyers are out there, sellers will be too. If you reeducate youngsters it'd help but if not, it is a Biblical prophecy come true, as denegration in many ways is hitting our society & world in general. Look at the world chaos (not to digress) & see that it seems not good for future generations -- & their plight from economic standpoints to morals.

We are in serious trouble folks, as a Nation, & better asap regroup & pull together -- not apart -- in order to save soverignty toward other nation's encroachment -- & dictating (literally) our way of life . A New World Order is upon us & darn, if the Bible didn't predict as such. Ok, well party on folks but I'm sure we're not going to get much better going the wrong way to get to the right place/direction.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:58 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
The US started this 'drug war'. The US perpetuates this drug war. The US can stop it whenever the US wants to, but for now it serves the politics to keep the drug war going, so we keep subsidizing it.

Like fighting in the Middle East, if we ever stopped paying them, training and arming the 'enemy', they would stop. But the US needs to have an enemy. So the US continues to pay, to train and to arm people to become our enemy.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:55 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The US started this 'drug war'. The US perpetuates this drug war. The US can stop it whenever the US wants to, but for now it serves the politics to keep the drug war going, so we keep subsidizing it.

Like fighting in the Middle East, if we ever stopped paying them, training and arming the 'enemy', they would stop. But the US needs to have an enemy. So the US continues to pay, to train and to arm people to become our enemy.
I do agree w/ this totally too.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:21 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
They don't advertise. They keep a low profile. t's like a neighborhood watch. Local police and sheriff's departments encourage neighborhood watches. Ever notice an eyeball at the end of a road leading into a neighborhood? Those are neighborhood watch communities. I have never seen a citizen wearing a neighborhood watch patch or pin on a jacket.
A neighborhood watch (where neighbors loosely organize and agree to report any suspicious behavior to the police) is a far cry from town-appointed "safety committees" whose job it is to mediate disputes, keep out the riff-raff, enforce the peace, and are made up mostly of former military and police officers. Those are two very different things. Where exactly are these safety committees forming? Which towns?

Not advertising is one thing. Being top secret is something else, especially if they really are government appointed. Top secret government "committees" ... that's scary, my friend.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:14 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
Quote:
MarkS asks:
"And where is this going on exactly?"

Wherever Maineac takes it. Now he wants to dance. This thread started with the topic of guillotines. We all hope to avoid their employment in our country. When the EBT cards no longer work, we could see an outmigration of the entitlement class. Maybe Europe would make them more welcome than the savages invading Europe right now. We know that Europe and Canada were happy to have our draft dodgers during the Vietnam War.
Yeah, I don't know what that means. I do know someone asked a question and the new dance began. Let's clarify: I'm all for the 2nd Amendment, well outfitted in that regard. All for low taxes, government non-interference.

But if the only way to communicate or comprehend is put on a tinfoil hat, I'm out.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:53 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebdark View Post
Out of curiosity, what part of the state do you live in?
I live in Princeton- ie Downeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine