Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:05 PM

198 posts, read 211,081 times

Advertisements

I will read all the notes/threads about Augusta.....but how would a Mainer compare the two cities, I know Portland is much larger, more populous....but what else. I have been in Portland several times but never to Augusta........
Does Augusta have enough to do? Shopping, good grocery stores, events (Musical etc), nice walking area around.....

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 03:54 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,652,230 times
Augusta is a small town.
Portland is a city.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:31 PM

321 posts, read 486,693 times
I think that if events and nice walking areas are important, Portland is going to win every time. Not that there aren't some things to do in Augusta; there is the Civic Center and some other options, and of course there are safe neighborhoods to walk in. You can access a number of big box stores and restaurants in Augusta, so if that's your baseline standard, the city meets it.

Portland:

- Larger and much more going on
- Can be somewhat touristy in the summer
- More expensive (rents/homes)
- Much better food options
- More traffic
- More out of towners, and a liberal feel, at least for Maine
- On the ocean, which you may or may not value
- Very compelling downtown/Old Port

Augusta:

- Smaller, and a bit grittier
- More "old school" Maine
- The seat of state government, for whatever that's worth
- Downtown is uninspiring
- New hospital

It's all about expectations. If a small city with the basics appeals to you, Augusta might be o.k. But if you're looking for things to do and more options, Portland is better. I lived in Portland for two years, and if I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely choose Portland.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:35 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
anyone here actually live in augusta went to the school system???????

I did as did my son, he was in the public school system all the way up thru high school, he played sports and after graduation he went right into college and in a few months he will graduate as a pharmacist

augusta mas many areas... nice neighborhoods,,,and commercial areas for strip malls and such,,it has a very nice park, waterfront to a river, you can launch a boat there or go fishing

augusta has some great small towns around it to live,,,with lakes, ponds, streams, out in the country
such as Manchester, Winthrop, hallowell, gardiner, farmingdale,

my son now lives in Portland,,i use to work there years ago,, if you are a young adult in he night life,,,,then Portland is the place to be (the old port)

Portland has around 63k population, augusta has 18k population

all depends on the person ...if you like being in the big cities and the culture/living in an apartment then Portland is the place
if you want a house,,and some acreage/privacy then augusta or surrounding towns is the area

both are decent areas,,
im partial to the augusta area...but that's just me. (because ive lived around it most of my life)

Old 01-27-2016, 10:34 AM

Thank you all, I am also looking at some of the surrounding towns/areas....and I know it is less expensive than Portland. It probably gets a heavier winter as in snow fall amount.
It is always important to visit and do the research as I am looking to buy a home in Maine.....but do not want to go into an area that is totally dead with no cultural amenities etc.
I have (like most) only spent time on the coast of Maine .....with all the tourists...lol.
I believe it is about 1 hour drive to Portland.....but then again that is on a good day.
I am an older person (not too old tho) and so looking for a smaller town feel. I like Saco very much from what I saw of it.....but it is all about how much you want to spend on home etc....

Lewiston I hear is not a good place, but maybe has some nice area. What about Auburn...?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:42 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
all depends on the person ...if you like being in the big cities and the culture/living in an apartment then Portland is the place
if you want a house,,and some acreage/privacy then augusta or surrounding towns is the area
Yup. My thoughts exactly.

If you're a city person, you'll like Portland better.

If you prefer a quieter lifestyle, you'll like Augusta better.

Both have good neighborhoods. Both have bad neighborhoods. Both have things to offer and areas of lack, depending on what you want out of your community.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:30 PM

124 posts, read 173,174 times
What everyone else has pretty much said.

We live just outside of the Augusta/Waterville area and really enjoy the quieter life with few neighbors vs a busier crowded city. If I had to choose one negative my biggest complaint would be the grocery stores or the lack of. Hannaford is our only option and it leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,484,208 times
Why not get out of the cities, and see the REAL Maine? After all, you can enjoy the city right where you are now. Moving to Maine ought to be about walking through pine-scented forests, spending a morning on a lake, seeing a moose track in your yard, and getting snowed in once in awhile!

But...how ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen Paree?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Why not get out of the cities, and see the REAL Maine? After all, you can enjoy the city right where you are now. Moving to Maine ought to be about walking through pine-scented forests, spending a morning on a lake, seeing a moose track in your yard, and getting snowed in once in awhile!

But...how ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen Paree?
Me sentiments exactly, I am in the "big" city and it...blows. That is the reason I want to move to ME. A complete life style change, one that I have wanted since childhood....can always drive to Boston if I want the rat race..

Old 01-28-2016, 01:44 PM

536 posts, read 844,649 times
Surely the real Maine includes every community that Mainers live in?
I am wary of people who think the "real" world is only to be found in the place and life they have chosen. Maine actually offers many options, just imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine