Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:17 PM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if this is a Maine thing, or is it just how it goes in my town...

Seems like whenever I try to hand or swipe my credit card, it's like they try and force the "debit" thing on me. I understand merchants prefer I use debit, but what does the 20 year old clerk at the Circle K care? This happens every store in town it seems, and this is when I hand them a regular Capital One, Chase, etc. (I could understand if it was a TD Bank or something with local branches where they would assume it is a debit). When they say "debit?" and I say "no" or "credit", it's like they are totally wowed (and these are people who see me all the time!).

I realize this is a petty issue in the grand scheme of things, but I'm in a venting mood! It's those little annoyances that just seem to build up inside of me, LOL.

So is this a commonplace elsewhere in Maine? I never experienced it like this anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:40 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Just wondering if this is a Maine thing, or is it just how it goes in my town...

Seems like whenever I try to hand or swipe my credit card, it's like they try and force the "debit" thing on me. I understand merchants prefer I use debit, but what does the 20 year old clerk at the Circle K care? This happens every store in town it seems, and this is when I hand them a regular Capital One, Chase, etc. (I could understand if it was a TD Bank or something with local branches where they would assume it is a debit). When they say "debit?" and I say "no" or "credit", it's like they are totally wowed (and these are people who see me all the time!).

I realize this is a petty issue in the grand scheme of things, but I'm in a venting mood! It's those little annoyances that just seem to build up inside of me, LOL.

So is this a commonplace elsewhere in Maine? I never experienced it like this anywhere else.
They all have new machines so if when the transactor asks " is this a debit card"- if you push " no" it will go through as a credit.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:04 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,151 times
I used my wife's debit on a gasoline machine on Saturday, and it didn't ask debit/credit or even ask for a pin number.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
Northern Maine is pretty much a csah economy. When somebody swipes a credit card to buy a coffee and a muffin, the clerk thinks, "Wow. this guy is so broke he has to borrow money to buy coffee and a muffin."

Old 04-12-2016, 05:37 PM

234 posts, read 360,266 times
The only time I use my debit card is when I need to take out cash for some place that won't take a credit card. This is becoming increasingly rare these days with the prevalence of Square.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:53 PM

319 posts, read 346,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Northern Maine is pretty much a csah economy. When somebody swipes a credit card to buy a coffee and a muffin, the clerk thinks, "Wow. this guy is so broke he has to borrow money to buy coffee and a muffin."
What an odd thing to think. Perhaps the muffin buyer gets free airline tickets each year from points accrued by using credit cards and paying them off in full each month. I know many people that do this. And debit is the same as cash

Old 04-12-2016, 06:04 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
When I sell pigs or farm produce the transactions are always in cash. When I deliver manure to people's garden beds, they usually want to pay in cash, eggs or moonshine. When I buy stuff face-to-face like firewood or firearms it is done in cash. I pay my medical co-pay in cash, the same for servicing my vehicles.

For a couple of years we paid for all of our heating fuel with eggs.

If I am at a store, I tend to use my plastic card. It is both credit card and debit card. I don't see that it makes any difference one way or the other. I do not sense that cashiers push either way, they don't care.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:15 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,151 times
30 years ago I used a credit card in Nova Scotia. They never saw it before and when the swiped the card with the manual machine they threw away the receipt.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:55 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Maine people are modest and keep it simple. Typically, if they can't afford it, they won't buy it. End of discussion. Flashiness is considered tacky. No fragile $30K millionaire egos there. They recognize BS when they see it.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:08 PM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
One card I get 5% cash back at gas stations, one 5% back on groceries, this month one 5% back on restaurants and another 5% back on pharmacies ie. Rite Aid. The way I see it, if I dont take advantage of those I'm just throwing dollar bills down the drain.

In addition, credit cards offer all sorts of protection debit cards don't and are less prone to scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: