Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 12:49 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,744 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Earlier this year, here in NYC where I live, I met the owner of a business in Camden. I told the owner I'd been to Camden and was given the name and location of the business. I forgot all about it until recently, when I happened to stumble upon the business's website. On the site, I learned that this business is open from April to December, and that got me thinking about seasonal enterprises like this. Now, I'm avoiding identifying this business and the industry for a reason, but I will say I was a bit surprised that it does well enough for the owner to be able to shut it down for that length of time. It made me wonder if this person had hit upon a great idea or if they were just financially comfortable to begin with!

Over the years, I've fantasized about starting a business in New England somewhere, and I've come up with lots of ideas. I've thought that I would want to have a business that caters to locals year-round as well as tourists - but wondered what kind of business that could be. I also think it would be pretty great to be able to work hard at something that could support me well enough to take 3 or 4 months off. I love traveling, so a seasonal business that could give me the freedom to do that, or to let me still have a place in NYC to go back and forth, appeals to me very much. But I'm far from wealthy and don't have a lot of capital, so the biz would have to be very viable.

So, I thought I'd throw it out there to you experienced Mainers.
  • What kind of seasonal business do you think would do well enough on the coast of Maine (primarily mid-coast) that a person could take a few months off?
  • Or are there any types of year-round businesses that wouldn't need a lot of oversight that might do well there?
  • What have you observed from seasonal businesses that didn't make it?
  • What sort of businesses do you think mid-coast Maine needs?
  • Maine is supposedly very small business-friendly - is that true, in your estimation?

I'm not familiar with much of the state, as I've only spent time in the Rockland-Camden area, but I'm open to other places. I do prefer ocean to woods. And although I have extensive experience in the restaurant business, I'm not interested in that kind of major investment. I know all too well that opening a restaurant is a huge undertaking - but I might be open to other kinds of food-related businesses.

Sorry if this has been too vague, but I thank you in advance for any suggestions and ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 05:28 PM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
  • What kind of seasonal business do you think would do well enough on the coast of Maine (primarily mid-coast) that a person could take a few months off?
  • Whatever things the rich tourists from down South are likely to spend money on.

I rarely travel over to the coast. In my area we get very few tourists. In a tourist-driven economy, sell anything the tourists want.

Campsites, hotdogs, lobster rolls, ice cream, ...

I have been involved with a couple Farmer's Markets that operate year-round. The tourist trade has no effect on a Farmer's Market at all. Tourists may browse, do not buy local produce. Because they have no access to kitchen facilities. Besides who wants to cook while on vacation?

Restaurants really struggle when the tourists are gone. I have known a few people who work seasonal jobs along the coast, in restaurants there. When the tourists start arriving everyone is hiring. They have to earn enough real fast, to carry for a year.

Quote:
  • Or are there any types of year-round businesses that wouldn't need a lot of oversight that might do well there?
  • What have you observed from seasonal businesses that didn't make it?
  • What sort of businesses do you think mid-coast Maine needs?
  • Maine is supposedly very small business-friendly - is that true, in your estimation?
There are people who have no work, that if you need trees and rocks removed, they will show-up after a day notice, with heavy equipment and a crew of men to do the job. No full time employees, no 'payroll' just day-wages.

There are people who can do your plumbing one day and your electrical the next day. Sole proprietors with no employees. Very small businesses indeed.

Of course they might not get any more work for a month. It keeps them small ... and hungry.

Maine has a lot of small businesses

The tourist regions 'need' businesses that cater to wealthy tourists. We already have a lot of small support businesses.

Quote:
... I'm not familiar with much of the state, as I've only spent time in the Rockland-Camden area, but I'm open to other places. I do prefer ocean to woods. And although I have extensive experience in the restaurant business, I'm not interested in that kind of major investment. I know all too well that opening a restaurant is a huge undertaking - but I might be open to other kinds of food-related businesses.

Sorry if this has been too vague, but I thank you in advance for any suggestions and ideas!
Good luck

Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
We need more brothels

And I don't believe Maine has a Hooters

Old 06-19-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
We need more brothels

And I don't believe Maine has a Hooters
We briefly had a topless donut shop. It was burned to the ground by a jealous ex-boyfriend, if I remember correctly.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:15 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,744 times
<sigh>

Any ideas on a kind of retail store that the mid-coast area doesn't have and would benefit from? Housewares, home goods, tableware, etc.?

Or services like a laundromat or packing and shipping?

Old 06-19-2016, 07:40 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,277 times
I'll tell you what we need more of around here, and something I surely miss from Virginia.... A self serve dog wash. They were busy all the time as people could wash their dogs somewhere else, and as far as general needs- a small cost for towels, or store shampoo- or bring your own, and a flat fee to use their big tubs. They ahd a few Metro dryers etc.
Now- if you had something like that near a place where rentals were common- I think it would be a good business in the busy seasons as people could bathe their dogs before they return home....

( I sure wish we had one here as a local, I would use it all year round.... )
I actually debated briefly of opening one,.. however- I have owned my own business before years ago- and now at retirement- I know me well enough to know that I would expand the business.

Sounds like an option for you though- if you could find a place where you didn't pay for the water. Or even dog groomin- There isn't even a groomer within like 40 miles of us...

Old 06-19-2016, 07:43 PM

321 posts, read 486,643 times
What about a craft beer/wine store? I think this could do well.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
... ideas on a kind of retail store that the mid-coast area doesn't have and would benefit from?
A self serve dog wash and laundromat with topless servers offering craft beer/wine, coffee and donuts.

A town near me used to do pretty well with bowling, it was nude bowling.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:19 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
I'll tell you what we need more of around here, and something I surely miss from Virginia.... A self serve dog wash. They were busy all the time as people could wash their dogs somewhere else, and as far as general needs- a small cost for towels, or store shampoo- or bring your own, and a flat fee to use their big tubs. They ahd a few Metro dryers etc.
Now- if you had something like that near a place where rentals were common- I think it would be a good business in the busy seasons as people could bathe their dogs before they return home....

( I sure wish we had one here as a local, I would use it all year round.... )
I actually debated briefly of opening one,.. however- I have owned my own business before years ago- and now at retirement- I know me well enough to know that I would expand the business.

Sounds like an option for you though- if you could find a place where you didn't pay for the water. Or even dog groomin- There isn't even a groomer within like 40 miles of us...
There's one of these in Blue Hill at the Tradewinds supermarket. It doesn't get used much. They also have a bike wash.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:40 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,730 times
There's a do-it-yourself dog wash in Manchester, just west of Augusta (about 2 miles west of I95):

Barks & Bubbles Pet Washes | J&S Oil | Car Wash, Brushless Wash, Vaccum Cleaning

And you can fuel up your car/boat when you are done washing the dog(s)! It is in a good location for both locals and visitors to the lakes or the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine