Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 47,438 times

Advertisements

A hillside dump site on my property is still in surface trash stage of discovery. What I cannot identify are the non-glass cylinders - about the height of a soda can, not as big around, very HEAVY, and the only feature is a rod that protrudes from one end by about 1/2 inch. Of course I have photos - but I am not sure how to go about including those ...

Well, I have gone to the attachment icon - let me see what happens ...oh kewl beans - OK - if you can help me please
Attached Thumbnails
Dig them bottle dumps!-0566whatisit.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 07:31 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
Sort of looks like old brake fluid cans.
Yahoo! Image Search Results for old brake fluid cans

Old 06-29-2009, 08:24 AM

737 posts, read 1,037,015 times
Default Is it a cod?

Funny how "bottle dump" sounds better than "land fill". I find most bottle-necks on the highway. Years back, when I started digging for a living... at a local Utility co., with the first shovel of dirt I heard a clink. It turned out to be a rectangle shaped brown bottle with a raised fish on the front with a raised fish-scaled border. Not a fisherman. Why I don't even fish in the e-Bay... but I figured it held cod-liver oil. Its about 3 inches x 9 inches...not very big...but I still didn't throw it back! Is it a cod?
Dig them bottle dumps!-fish-bottle.jpg

Old 06-29-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannadanc View Post
A hillside dump site on my property is still in surface trash stage of discovery. What I cannot identify are the non-glass cylinders - about the height of a soda can, not as big around, very HEAVY, and the only feature is a rod that protrudes from one end by about 1/2 inch. Of course I have photos - but I am not sure how to go about including those ...

Well, I have gone to the attachment icon - let me see what happens ...oh kewl beans - OK - if you can help me please
at first glance they look like catalytic converters... 2nd glance cathotic anodes?

Last edited by round tuit; 06-29-2009 at 08:44 AM..

Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lehman View Post
at first glance they look like catalytic converters... 2nd glance cathotic anodes?
I had to look up photos of the catalytic converters - and most of them have 2 "ends" Equally - they were introduced in 1975 - and this is turn of the century dump site....

Thanks so much for offering some help!

BTW - your brown bottle may certainly be a COD bottle, but definitely not a CODD bottle.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Sort of looks like old brake fluid cans.
Yahoo! Image Search Results for old brake fluid cans
Thanks for giving me the cranial hit for something else I couldn't remember. The ones pictured here, however, are solid, heavy, and with no openings. The end that protrudes is not a cap of any sort - may be a long rod, as we found some rods that length separate from any apparent cylinders.
Attached Thumbnails
Dig them bottle dumps!-0567cylinder.jpg  

Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 AM

Default Cash On Delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannadanc View Post
I had to look up photos of the catalytic converters - and most of them have 2 "ends" Equally - they were introduced in 1975 - and this is turn of the century dump site....

Thanks so much for offering some help!

BTW - your brown bottle may certainly be a COD bottle, but definitely not a CODD bottle.
Stepped in in it big time! Sorry...I was having so much fun with catalytic & cathotic that I danced right by codd. Do you think the dump was "closed" after '75? So, in there somewhere, you're saying the fish is NOT a codd?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 AM

The Unusual Codd Bottle
In 1872, Hiram Codd realized that inserting and capturing a marble in the neck of a bottle would provide a new and effective way of sealing mineral water and soda bottles without corks or external stoppers. His bottle used the effervescent pressure of the mineral water to force a marble against the upper ring of the neck of the bottle. This made a very efficient and durable seal. Some of these bottles have remained sealed for more than 100 years.

OK.. think I got it into the boat! The fish is a cod, and Mr Codd's bottle is special!

Old 06-29-2009, 01:39 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Wannadanc, are your mystery objects solid? Have you broken one open to see what's inside? I'm wondering if they could be parts of old batteries that have been broken up for scrap.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:53 PM

503 posts, read 1,025,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Wannadanc, are your mystery objects solid? Have you broken one open to see what's inside? I'm wondering if they could be parts of old batteries that have been broken up for scrap.
Or weights from an old scale ? The ones they used in warehouses with the weight arm like they use in doctors offices today ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine