Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 05:30 PM

375 posts, read 609,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
This post has to be a joke, right?
Exactly my first thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 04:11 AM

25 posts, read 24,135 times
Hello everyone,
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate the great information you all provided. I thinks Calais would be a better fit for me. It's a small town and have familiar places (Wal-mart and Dunkin Dounut... Wish there was a Krispy Kreme though). I'm a real outdoorsy kinda guy but it very difficult to really experience the great outdoor in an urban environment. Heck, I can't even see the stars most nights.
Did the google maps as well. Both places seem isolated but Jackman was a more isolated than I thought. Oh and let me say, Calais to Bangor(?) is about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Yet it's about 95 miles away. Being an urbanite always stuck in traffic I forget the whole concept of miles traveled. When I saw 1 hour and 10 minutes I was like 15 to 30 miles tops lol. Heck, take the CA 405 freeway at certain times you will spend 1 hour and 10 minutes going no where.
I'm excited for the job and the opportunity to relocate. I've always wanted to experience all 4 seasons, be close to the ocean, ski slopes, a river... Maan, I think I'm going to love Calais. I just hope the people are decent folk.

Last edited by Keep2; 09-04-2016 at 04:32 AM..

Old 09-04-2016, 06:11 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
If you ignore all speed signs, I guess you might come close to making the Calais-Bangor trip in slightly less than an hour and a half but I think it a bit optimistic to think you could do it in 1:10. The locals tell me they can do it in an hour and a half but I never seem to do it in much under 2 hours. Of course, I always seem to hit that stretch in the middle of the night in a rain or snow storm but that Route 9 'super highway' (I roared with laughter when I read that) is a 2 lane windy, hilly road on the Calais end (few passing zones, often lots of logging trucks) and nearer to Brewer/Bangor the speed limit seems to drop considerably for a 20+ mile stretch.

I too suggest you visit before you move if you are coming from SoCal and haven't already spent a fair bit of time in the far northeast, even if you fancy yourself 'outdoorsy'. Could be quite a culture shock.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:15 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
If you ignore all speed signs, I guess you might come close to making the Calais-Bangor trip in slightly less than an hour and a half but I think it a bit optimistic to think you could do it in 1:10. The locals tell me they can do it in an hour and a half but I never seem to do it in much under 2 hours. Of course, I always seem to hit that stretch in the middle of the night in a rain or snow storm but that Route 9 'super highway' (I roared with laughter when I read that) is a 2 lane windy, hilly road on the Calais end (few passing zones, often lots of logging trucks) and nearer to Brewer/Bangor the speed limit seems to drop considerably for a 20+ mile stretch.

I too suggest you visit before you move if you are coming from SoCal and haven't already spent a fair bit of time in the far northeast, even if you fancy yourself 'outdoorsy'. Could be quite a culture shock.
I agree; that drive is always closer to 2 hours.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:44 AM

Oh speaking of snow. Does it snow really bad out that way?

Old 09-05-2016, 06:38 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep2 View Post
Oh speaking of snow. Does it snow really bad out that way?
It vary's place to place Jackman would probably get close to 100+ inches a year, Calais I think around 55 inches.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...l-snowfall.php

You won't be snowed in though Maine DOT keeps the roads cleared at all times, You may not want to go to the store during a Nor'easter, but a few hours after it ends the roads will be cleared.

bill

Old 09-05-2016, 02:19 PM

64 posts, read 60,422 times
In addition to the responses you're getting in the forums, you'll find a lot of the information you asking about for both places right here on the city-data site. Weather, demographics, house prices, industries, etc.

//www.city-data.com/city/Calais-Maine.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Jackman-Maine.html

In case you hadn't seen it already.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the links... Hey Westeasterly how did you get that information. I clicked on the city lick at the top of page. Then I selected ME, however on the next page Calais and Jackman wasn't listed. My thoughts were these listing must be major cities and towns in ME.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:23 PM

64 posts, read 60,422 times
Choose Maine on the City-Data home page under By Category... on the next page you'll see a drop down menu where you choose the size of the town. ("Filter Cities") It's easy to overlook. For Calais, you have to choose Smaller... and for Jackman Very Small... or they won't show up.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 PM

155 posts, read 196,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep2 View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and trying to get some information on two cities in ME.
So I'm going to apply for a job soon and wanted to get some information on Jackman and Calais. I have never been or even heard of either city. However, a job that I'm interested in is being offered out that way. I'm from SoCal but am yearning for a change of pace and scenery. Hence, why I'm looking into both cities.
Please forgive if I ask any dumb questions, considering I'm a urbanite.
1. What is the cost of living like? Is it like San Francisco where rent is 2.5k+ or is it more like Los Angeles 1.3k+. Also is housing readily available?
2. Is there public transportation?
3. How is the weather? Is there four seasons to enjoy or is winter pretty much half the year?
4. Demographics as in are these well mixed cities or pretty much whites, blacks, and natives?
5. How is the crime in those areas?
6. Are there plenty of local amenities like bowling, theatres, malls or shopping centers, etc?
7. Are these warm, welcoming, generous, friendly, community oriented cities?
8. Please fill free to include any other additional information.
9. Almost forgot, how is the dating scene? Just wanna know what I'm potentially getting into
Jackman and Calais aren't cities; calling them even large towns would be generous (especially Jackman).

1. Assuming those two, not too bad, you spend a lot in Maine to heat your home/apartment/etc for the winter, other than that... Portland is overpriced as far as housing, but Calais or Jackman, cheap as heck.

2. Non-existent. You have the BAREST bus system in Bangor and Portland but actually getting anywhere on those is a crapshoot at best. They seem very geared to the "I need to get to the pharmacy and the mall" crowd not anyone with a job.

3. There are four seasons; especially those two places you mentioned be prepared for very long very cold winters however. Spring and Fall can sometimes be short; especially Spring. It's not uncommon to have just a few short weeks separating snowstorms from 70/80 degree weather.

4. Whitest state in the U.S. That's not an exaggeration that's an actual fact. Again the two locations you've mentioned EXTREMELY white we're talking 98-99 percent no joke.

5. Violent crime is low in Maine but property crime in a real problem. There's also a real "who you are, who you know" aspect about it.

6. Those two spots? No

7. Not so much, rural Maine can be pretty insular, I mean you'll adapt better in Portland or Bangor or something but Calais and Jackman?

8. Think this over very carefully before you move. Maine, especially those parts of Maine, are EXTREMELY different from California. As in Maine probably has more in common with Sweden or Canada than it does California level of different.

9. Not so much... most people that stay in the area have probably been with the same boyfriend/girlfriend forever or are just absolute trainwrecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine