Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:25 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times

Advertisements

Hi Gerard here, just registered.

Can't wait to get out of Boston with its cold winters.

Planning to drive up in 2 weeks to buy a house or trailer nr Houlton.
I'm recently retired, was a baker.
Last yr we went up to Caribou, I asked an old guy what are the winters like,
he said "summer fell on a thursday last yr".

I'm from the UK originally, weather there is very mild yr round so Boston is something I just got used to, I guess Maine will be the same but more of it.?

Will there still be snow coming down in late April up there?
I drive a volvo FWD, seems to handle snow fine here.

My question, how are the trailer/modular homes in winter, are the floors freezing?
Cheers .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 06:53 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
First and foremost, it is a long way down to a Volvo dealer from Houlton. The nearest one is going to be Bangor and they are only there to provide service to the professors at the university in Orono. Stop in on the way up though. They will be happy to see you. Buy a few Volvo oil filters when you are in there. You may want to get your oil changed up in Houlton.

By late April you will still see flurries and we may get some accumulation on lawns, but significant snows are usually done by the middle of April.

Low priced homes are abundant in the Houlton area. Northern Maine is different from Boston in more ways than I can count. The two biggest differences are freedom and cost of living, both toward the beneficial side. Welcome to Maine. We need people.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:09 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Hi Gerard, Caribou here.
Winters are obviously longer/harsher than in Boston. But summers are better.
We might get snowstorms in April, but then again, we might get none at all. April is a very variable month.
Modular homes are much better for heating, etc. than are trailers. I would never live in a trailer in northern Maine. THat's just me.
Good luck! I really like Houlton.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 AM

106 posts, read 122,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Hi Gerard here, just registered.

Can't wait to get out of Boston with its cold winters.

Planning to drive up in 2 weeks to buy a house or trailer nr Houlton.
I'm recently retired, was a baker.
Last yr we went up to Caribou, I asked an old guy what are the winters like,
he said "summer fell on a thursday last yr".

I'm from the UK originally, weather there is very mild yr round so Boston is something I just got used to, I guess Maine will be the same but more of it.?

Will there still be snow coming down in late April up there?
I drive a volvo FWD, seems to handle snow fine here.

My question, how are the trailer/modular homes in winter, are the floors freezing?
Cheers .
I lived in Presque Isle several years, the next town over form Caribou. I'm not originally from that area but I'm very familiar with it.

I'm hoping for your own sake that your comment on cold winters is sarcasm. Winters in Aroostook County aren't just cold, they are bone chilling. The difference between Presque Isle and Bangor is stunning.

Generally speaking, there is more snow and from what I've observed less snow days, although that won't really have any impact on you because you're retired.

I know a few people who lived in mobile homes and it depended on the age and condition of the home. If you're living in an older home in poor condition, you can bet that it will be cold. I've seen mobile homes so poorly insulated that ice forms around the windows and doors. On the contrary, if you buy a newer home that it well insulated, it won't be a problem.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as111 View Post
I lived in Presque Isle several years, the next town over form Caribou. I'm not originally from that area but I'm very familiar with it.

I'm hoping for your own sake that your comment on cold winters is sarcasm. Winters in Aroostook County aren't just cold, they are bone chilling. The difference between Presque Isle and Bangor is stunning.

Generally speaking, there is more snow and from what I've observed less snow days, although that won't really have any impact on you because you're retired.

I know a few people who lived in mobile homes and it depended on the age and condition of the home. If you're living in an older home in poor condition, you can bet that it will be cold. I've seen mobile homes so poorly insulated that ice forms around the windows and doors. On the contrary, if you buy a newer home that it well insulated, it won't be a problem.

Well, the difference is stunning if you consider a temperature difference of five to ten degrees "stunning".....

Old 04-04-2017, 05:00 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times
If houlton is warmer than boston, than it looks like i should move to arkansas inorder to get some snow/cold weather...

Old 04-04-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
If houlton is warmer than boston, than it looks like i should move to arkansas inorder to get some snow/cold weather...
No..Houlton is ten or fifteen degrees colder than Boston.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:55 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
No..Houlton is ten or fifteen degrees colder than Boston.

Sarcasm aside, i have been assuming it is atleast 15-20 degrees colder, as i hear negatives tossed around for Aroostook alot, and the boston area is regularly 20 in winter.

Edit: checking city-data sources, the average temperatures in houlton are about 20 degrees colder in winter, and 10 degrees colder in summer. Which to be honest is a range i prefer as i prefer temperatures cooler than most.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:18 PM

321 posts, read 486,560 times
I grew up in an old trailer in Presque Isle, and it was manageable with a wood stove, which kept things toasty. Having a kerosene furnace alone may be less than ideal, but doable. A wood stove in an addition or even the main part of the trailer would make things better.

As another poster mentioned, you could do o.k. With a newer trailer or modular home. An older trailer may take a little bit more money and work to get it to be as warm as you would like. That having been said, a lot of people live in old trailers and have no choice but to make them work.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:20 PM

321 posts, read 486,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Well, the difference is stunning if you consider a temperature difference of five to ten degrees "stunning".....
I agree that "stunning" may not be the right word.

I've lived in both places for extended periods of time, and while The County is colder, and sometimes it can be noticeable, the climate isn't really that much different and won't affect your day-to-day life very much. The County is colder, but Bangor is cold, and it will snow in both places. Spring comes a little bit earlier in Bangor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine