Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:06 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
As of 2015 statistics, Maine had the highest median age of the 50 States. There should be plenty of jobs for cna/lpn here. Have you searched for properties on Zillow or Trulia? We found both of the properties we purchased here online, then contacted a buyers agent for assistance.
Yep, I have those apps on kindle and phone. And the way some houses look, absolute beautiful especially with some rolling hills in area. Not used to it, we're really flatlandahs! We have to travel an hour's north just to het some rolling hills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:12 AM

428 posts, read 554,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhanks View Post
It would be hard to find a job now, since we're in Louisiana. We're looking to basically start our lives over and just look ahead when we get there.
You might be surprised. Indeed.com has quite a few listings for Maine. When we moved to Southern Maine from Aroostook I scored a job on my first application on Indeed. Also check websites for major employers such as Pratt Whitney (Berwick), General Dynamics (Saco and Bath), Smith and Wesson (Houlton) and others. You could find a job that will assist with relocation.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:49 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhanks View Post
Thank you. I was thinking that southern Maine may have more opportunities to work.
Southern Maine tends to be more densely populated, with more people they surely have more jobs. Bigger cities will tend to have larger FDs and more residential care facilities.

Come to Maine and play tourist for a week. Drive around and talk to locals. Interview for a few FDs, it can not hurt.

I recommend that when you are ready to make the big move, rent your first year. That gives you a home base of operations, a place to live while you continue to explore the state. It would be a shame to buy somewhere, then to find a better place a year later.

Good luck

Old 06-26-2017, 09:28 AM

100 posts, read 227,008 times
Fellow former Louisiana native here. We've lived in New Orleans, Boulder, Colorado and now a beautiful small town in the Hudson Valley in NY. Will be moving to Camden, Maine next summer (just signed a contract to begin summer of 2018). We could move pretty much anywhere, but we choose Maine. It checks all of our boxes. We love everything about it. I hope you two find all the happiness you're looking for.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:30 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,316 times
cnatips.com has cna training programs listed for each state, there are several in Maine. (I think your wife would need to get recertified in Maine) I know also that the Maine university system has RN, and I think LPN programs. Sometimes if one is working as a CNA, the employer will help pay tuition fees for a nursing program

Old 06-26-2017, 12:00 PM

133 posts, read 135,660 times
According to the Maine Board of Nursing, there are no approved LPN educational programs in Maine (LPN Nursing Programs: Education: Maine State Board of Nursing). CNA programs are relatively easy to find by contacting nursing/residential homes in an area you might be interested in.

If you want to be in southern Maine but want to be out of the city, it sounds like you'd want to look in southwestern Maine. With your criteria though and desire for affordable housing with acreage, you're going to want to stay away from the coast. If I was in your shoes, I would be looking north of Bangor. It's gorgeous up there with a much lower population density. You can easily be in rural Maine but still within work commuting/shopping distance from Bangor if needed.

I concur totally with Submariner's suggestion about renting for a year to get the feel and experience of the seasons and the lay of the land.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 PM

321 posts, read 486,954 times
Bangor has a larger healthcare infrastructure than could be expected for a city of its size because of its regional role, so there are lots of opportunities for medical professionals in the city. You don't need to travel far from Bangor to find rural living and affordable real estate.

Southern Maine has its advantages, but if you are looking for healthcare jobs in a rural environment, Greater Bangor may be a good choice.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:51 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times
Thank you all for the replies. You've offered a wealth of info. As Submariner stated, we'll more than likely rent the first year or so and shop around for towns.

I just can't WAIT to call Maine home.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Southern Maine is booming, especially along the coast.
You can live ten or twenty miles inland and work right along the coast somewhere for excellent pay. (It's really expensive to live right near the coast).
There are a few other pockets of Maine that are also booming: Sebago Lake area, Bar Harbor area, Rockland. You can live close to those pockets and find a job no problem.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:57 PM

133 posts, read 135,660 times
I wouldn't say that the Rockland area is booming with jobs. The surge is summer seasonal retail and hotels, like many coastal areas north and south of Portland. There are good jobs available in healthcare via MaineHealth's Pen Bay Medical Center in Rockport and associated medical offices. I'd be hard pressed to think of big new businesses that have moved to the area to consider the job market booming in this area.

I can't speak to Bar Harbor or Sebago Lake, but certainly both rely heavily on the summer tourist trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine