Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:15 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

Once we get some land in Maine, we intend to build our own home from scratch (OK, OK, maybe we'll hire out a little help!). Would like to run some ideas by you, to see if you can find a reason why we should not do it this way. Always best to listen to those who have tried!

First, the house will be solar-oriented, meaning a large expanse of south wall would face the sun and have large windows to allow the sun in. The floors on the south side would be deep (2-3') of concrete for thermal mass, which would be insulated with foam all around. Here in RI, there is solar gain even on cloudy days.

Next our main (Maine?) source of heat would be a hand-built masonry structure, central in the house, containing a wood stove. We figure the stones will also be a thermal heat mass, giving off heat after the fire has gone down. This is different than just a regular wood stove, which also works well, but would burn more wood.

It goes without saying that, building new, the house will be well-insulated, a good 8" on the north side and 6" on the rest, at least 12" below the roof, with a vapor barrier and house wrap. Any other ideas?

These techniques have been tried here in Rhode Island by others (while we heat with oil - and pay and pay!). Would they work in Maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Your plan sounds good. The guys on hot and cold (a radio handyman show) reccomend an r rating of forty on the side walls, and 60 on the roof. Make provision to insulate the windows at night and what you are talking about sounds great.
There show be secondary heat source for when you are away for extended periods.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:58 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
They certainly would work in Maine. The only change I would make is to use dark slate for your thermal mass floor at ground level and reduce the thickness of your concrete to about 8 inches. I would put pipes in that floor and route warm air up the front of the house. The source of that air would be the back as cooler air flows down by gravity.

I need to go out and photograph such a house for you.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:10 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
They certainly would work in Maine. The only change I would make is to use dark slate for your thermal mass floor at ground level and reduce the thickness of your concrete to about 8 inches. I would put pipes in that floor and route warm air up the front of the house. The source of that air would be the back as cooler air flows down by gravity.
One of the neighbors around here had a sun room just as you described. worked great.
The concrete people are not going to like your suggetion of using less concrete. What is it now, $90 a yard or something like that. 2-3 feet of cement does seem to be a bit of overkill.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:12 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
What great thread...I have a feeling there will be a lot of information covered before its over.

I am sorry there isn't much for me to add

Old 03-16-2008, 03:25 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times
Smile Thank You!!!

THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!!!

I am sure that it will be very helpful to lots of people!!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

Take care,

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Once we get some land in Maine, we intend to build our own home from scratch (OK, OK, maybe we'll hire out a little help!). Would like to run some ideas by you, to see if you can find a reason why we should not do it this way. Always best to listen to those who have tried!

First, the house will be solar-oriented, meaning a large expanse of south wall would face the sun and have large windows to allow the sun in. The floors on the south side would be deep (2-3') of concrete for thermal mass, which would be insulated with foam all around. Here in RI, there is solar gain even on cloudy days.

Next our main (Maine?) source of heat would be a hand-built masonry structure, central in the house, containing a wood stove. We figure the stones will also be a thermal heat mass, giving off heat after the fire has gone down. This is different than just a regular wood stove, which also works well, but would burn more wood.

It goes without saying that, building new, the house will be well-insulated, a good 8" on the north side and 6" on the rest, at least 12" below the roof, with a vapor barrier and house wrap. Any other ideas?

These techniques have been tried here in Rhode Island by others (while we heat with oil - and pay and pay!). Would they work in Maine?

Old 03-16-2008, 04:40 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Once we get some land in Maine, we intend to build our own home from scratch (OK, OK, maybe we'll hire out a little help!).
I hired out the driveway, power pole, well and foundation.

I have done the rest myself. Power from the pole to our house, power to the well and piping form the well to the house, phone line from the pole to the house, and everything else.

Quote:
... Would like to run some ideas by you, to see if you can find a reason why we should not do it this way. Always best to listen to those who have tried!

A little light on the insulation IMHO.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:04 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I hired out the driveway, power pole, well and foundation.

I have done the rest myself. Power from the pole to our house, power to the well and piping form the well to the house, phone line from the pole to the house, and everything else.
Since you did the well power and pipe, and I'm assuming the bladder as well, maybe you can give me a tip on a problem I have-

My inside pressure varies more than I would like, especially when taking a shower which results in variations between hot and cold...and particularly sometimes going from comfortable to intensely hot...which results in a bit of impromptu dancing (which is even worse than my singing).

Do you know of a way to decrease the pressure variation? Maybe a larger bladder, stronger pump, increase bladder pressure? Combination of these?

Old 03-16-2008, 05:27 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
A little light on the insulation IMHO.

That was my first thoughts as well.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Your air side needs more air. If you have no gauge, put a pressure gauge on it. Your air pressure should be half the peak pressure of your system pressure.

Until you get the pressure gauge, turn off your well pump. Drain your pressure tank to zero pressure. Inflate the air side to 20 PSI. You have a tire pressure gauge, right? Turn off the drain from your tank. Turn your well pump back on.

Presto! Comfortable showers again.

While you are down there, bleed the air off the top of your hot water tank. It can prevent burning out your top element.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine