Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

Been puzzled by what I've read about this Roxanne Quimby. I'm sure the forum here is just thrilled about her . And here I thought we were holding all the "do-gooders" hostage down here in southern NE. It's one reason we want to get OUT of RI. I've searched posts about her, but only found something to do with the "Volvo Line" which was hilarious - and I loved the stuff about the difference between a Saab and a saab. Me - I just drive a Ford 250, which is 7 years old - practically brand new .

Now, what if Mr. Buffet and Mr. Gates of Fortune 500 fame, decided to up and buy the whole County? I would think they'd have better things to do with their time and money - and so far, so good. But this Roxanne character puzzles me. What right does she have to take millions made from this Burt the Beekeeper guy, and buy up a whole passel of prime Maine, then say, "All of this is mine now, I want to restore it to God's country, all of you Mainers can plug it with a cork if you don't like it!"

I was shocked! Can she just do that? How much more of God's Country can she buy with the millions she has left? What if (gulp) we someday find she has bought all the land surrounding our property? Be interested to read what your *true* feelings are about this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Eminent Domain. If Roxy gets too carried away we'll just take it back from her.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:48 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Will you have to pay her for it? Or do you get it back for FREE?

Old 03-17-2008, 09:49 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Eminent Domain: A judge condemns the land, and orders that you pay the owner 'fair market' value for the condemned land, maybe $1 per hectare.

My grandfather lost his first farm during the depression, but his second was lost due to Eminent Domain. The county commission condemned the land, the sheriff drug him off his land, and he was handed a check for a few pennies per acre. the county later sold the land to a developer. I have visited the land since then, it is all 50 foot vacation lots today that market for over $250k each.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:56 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Eminent Domain: A judge condemns the land, and orders that you pay the owner 'fair market' value for the condemned land, maybe $1 per hectare.

My grandfather lost his first farm during the depression, but his second was lost due to Eminent Domain. The county commission condemned the land, the sheriff drug him off his land, and he was handed a check for a few pennies per acre. the county later sold the land to a developer. I have visited the land since then, it is all 50 foot vacation lots today that market for over $250k each.
Yeah ....ain't the government a wonderful thing?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:54 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
If the parcel is for sale, and you have the cash...go for it! Private land ownership is the cornerstone of the American Experience.

Do what thou wilt, so mete it be.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:00 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
someone has to sell the land in the first place........

Old 03-18-2008, 06:28 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
If you can find the July '05, Volume 51, No. 12, Down East magazine, there is the real story behind the rise and accumulation of land by the "Bee Lady."

Old 03-18-2008, 06:31 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
I guess I am a little confused. It's her money, and she's buying up land to do with as she pleases.

I guess if she bought way too much land and was hindering the gowth of the state, the "government" could use their coercive powers of Eminent Domain. But....is there any "real" concern with what she's doing?

I do not know much about national parks...But I guess I would rather see a "National park" with federal mony suporting it rather than just a state park.

Bar Habour is the 2nd most visited park in the country next to "Yellow Stone"

Old 03-18-2008, 05:36 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
"Bar Habour is the 2nd most visited park in the country next to "Yellow Stone""

I only go to Bar Harbor in the summer to see my doctor. It's got to be great to get back to nature with a million of your closest friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine