Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 02:04 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Was that -40 F or -40 C?
-40C AND -40F ARE THE SAME.

Google: centigrade to Fahrenheit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 03:50 PM

304 posts, read 397,296 times
Default 40 Centigrade is N-0-T 40 Farenheit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
-40C AND -40F ARE THE SAME.

Google: centigrade to Fahrenheit

40 degrees Farenhiet, as we here in the US measure temperatures, is cool/cold....

40 degrees Centigrade is waaaay H-O-T and would be 104 degrees Farenhiet

Go to Weather Underground, and see what the temperatures have been 'Down Under' in Australia, especially, and New Zealand this past week.
They are suffering a severe Heat Wave, with temps up to 116/118Farenheit.

I actually prefer our severe Arctic Cold, as opposed to THAT kind of temperature.

I hate the heat!

CT2MEwoodnutt

Old 01-07-2018, 05:46 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2MEwoodnutt View Post
40 degrees Farenhiet, as we here in the US measure temperatures, is cool/cold....

40 degrees Centigrade is waaaay H-O-T and would be 104 degrees Farenhiet

Go to Weather Underground, and see what the temperatures have been 'Down Under' in Australia, especially, and New Zealand this past week.
They are suffering a severe Heat Wave, with temps up to 116/118Farenheit.

I actually prefer our severe Arctic Cold, as opposed to THAT kind of temperature.

I hate the heat!

CT2MEwoodnutt
Did you miss the minus signs in front of the number 40? Minus 40F and minus 40C are the same temperature.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:56 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,712 times
T(°C) = (T(°F) - 32) × 5/9

So -40C should equal -40-32 x 5/9

So yes, -40C is equal to -40F. Fascinating.

Beware the January thaw. If there's 2' of snow on your roof and we get rain or inordinately warm temps, there will be insurance claims flying everywhere for roof leaks. Shovel thy roof. Or hire someone to do it.

Last edited by Maineac; 01-08-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 01-08-2018, 10:24 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
T(°C) = (T(°F) - 32) × 5/9

So -40C should equal -40-32 x 5/9

So yes, -40C is equal to -40F. Fascinating.

Beware the January thaw. If there's 2' of snow on your roof and we get rain or inordinately warm temps, there will be insurance claims flying everywhere for roof leaks. Shovel thy roof. Or hire someone to do it.
Side question: I have bubbling paint in an upstairs bedroom that I know is due to a slow roof leak. When I get a new roof how can I get assurance from roofer that leak will be fixed and paint won't bubble? Or is it a crap shoot with no guarantees? Excuse me if this appears to be a dumb question. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:45 AM

973 posts, read 2,382,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Side question: I have bubbling paint in an upstairs bedroom that I know is due to a slow roof leak. When I get a new roof how can I get assurance from roofer that leak will be fixed and paint won't bubble? Or is it a crap shoot with no guarantees? Excuse me if this appears to be a dumb question. Thanks.
If you are getting a leak at this time of year, it's from a water dam formed by ice. The roofer should use a product like Grace Ice and Water Shield on the roof. It should cover the drip edge and I would say at least two courses of water shield so that you get a minimum of 5 ft of coverage. The ice shield will give you a waterproof layer where the ice may form and cause the water to back up. The ice is caused by too much heat escaping to the attic. A well insulated house has a cold attic because the heat isn't escaping to that space. If the space under the roof is warm, you will get ice. If you can't get the attic cold enough to not form ice on the eaves, soffit vents and a roof vent will help. Long answer, but the ice guard will keep water that backs up behind an ice dam from penetrating the roof. 2 or 3 courses of Ice Guard would be the first step, but eliminating the ice buildup should also be a step in the process and that is done by insulating and ventilating the attic space.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:00 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,712 times
What KS said. I changed the whole complexion of my roof by putting vents in the peak ends and elsewhere to keep the roof cold by letting any heat that would melt snow/ice escape. Well, and I put ice shield up when I re-roofed a couple years ago. All the ice shield does is if it DOES get an ice dam, it takes the runoff water to the edge of the roof under the shingles. The worst issue is usually near the eaves where heat escapes.

The roofer don't care about your paint. If you got an ice dam, and he fixed the roof, get yourself some Bin (alcohol based), scrape off the loose paint and hit it with that before finish painting. A coat or two of "Bin" or "Bullseye" should cut any stains. I'm in the process of repainting the whole shooting match inside to sell the house this spring, and the #2 pine trim was full of knots which even oil based "Kilz" doesn't touch for some reason. Now it looks great. God I do good work. But I hate ceilings like the plague.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:22 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Hi Frozen Maine Brothers & Sisters...

So, we think it's Cold where we are, right.

Well, sure, it is Record breaking Cold, here in the shivering Pine Tree State!

Today, here in little Peru, just South of Rumford, and next to the Androscoggin River (which hasn't frozen yet ???) it was the Coldest in many years according to my longtime 84 yr old lady neighbor Bunny.

Our daily high temp was -2.5 degrees, with last nights overnight low, of -11.
Tonight, we're supposed to hit -14.

Ahh, but that's nothing, folks...

I listen to a NOAA Weather Radio, daily, throughout the day, and the temperature alone this evening, was -40, with the winds at a sustained 80 -90+ mph, making the Windchill -98 degrees making it the SECOND Coldest spot on Earth, running #2 only after Scott Base in Antarctica.

So, we're not doing too bad here in the Great Northeast then are we.

How Cold was it at your location?

'Bundled up like an Arctic Explorer!

CT2MEwoodnutt in icicle-clad Peru!
Crazy cold spell

Old 01-08-2018, 05:41 PM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Default Ice Dams

This picture shows pretty well how ice dams form:

The area outboard of the walls (the eaves) tends to be cold. That's fine, but when the upper roof deck is significantly warmer, due to too much heat from inside the house reaching it, then in cold weather with snow on the roof, you can have water melting on the warm upper deck, and then freezing when it reaches the cold eaves - do that for awhile and you get a berm of ice along the lower roof edge that can block melt water from running off. The shingles aren't meant to seal against standing water, and will in time allow it to penetrate into the house, where it can do real damage.

To fix this:
- add more insulation into the attic floor to reduce heat leakage from the living space into the attic space
- add soffit vents under the eaves and a ridge vent at the peak to allow cold air to run along the underside of the roof decking, entering at the soffits and exiting at the ridge, helping to cool the roof decking from whatever heat is still getting through the insulation
- add ice and water shield - essentially a rubber membrane to better seal against any ice-dammed water that occurs
Attached Thumbnails
Sooo, you think it's cold where you are...-icedams1.jpg  

Old 01-09-2018, 01:12 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Hi Frozen Maine Brothers & Sisters...

So, we think it's Cold where we are, right.

Well, sure, it is Record breaking Cold, here in the shivering Pine Tree State!

Today, here in little Peru, just South of Rumford, and next to the Androscoggin River (which hasn't frozen yet ???) it was the Coldest in many years according to my longtime 84 yr old lady neighbor Bunny.

Our daily high temp was -2.5 degrees, with last nights overnight low, of -11.
Tonight, we're supposed to hit -14.

Ahh, but that's nothing, folks...

I listen to a NOAA Weather Radio, daily, throughout the day, and the temperature alone this evening, was -40, with the winds at a sustained 80 -90+ mph, making the Windchill -98 degrees making it the SECOND Coldest spot on Earth, running #2 only after Scott Base in Antarctica.

So, we're not doing too bad here in the Great Northeast then are we.

How Cold was it at your location?

'Bundled up like an Arctic Explorer!

CT2MEwoodnutt in icicle-clad Peru!
Those wind chill sensational temps are calculated for bare skin, no-one goes around topless in a blizzard, so it's nonsense.
When I want to know the temp I look at the thermometer, if it's 32 degs and the wind starts to blow 100 mph it's still 32.
I don't care what it "feels like" ,

what's next "smells like"?
How about "looks like".

It's becoming more difficult to uncover the real temps outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine