Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:09 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,535 times

Advertisements

Last week we returned from a mini-vacation trip to Generica. You know Generica: that's the common face of America that has been "developed" so that each place looks exactly like the next one with no discernable characteristic that will separate one shopping strip mall and big box from another. We are glad to get back to Maine, although the we also recognized the Genericaitis flu to be spreading throughout this state, too.

Our trip went south stopping the first night in Connecticut, and then on to a meeting in Northern New Jersey. From there, we went southwest to Frederick Maryland, where we stayed on night in a generic motel in generica. We did spend a half an hour the next morning driving through the original Frederick town, and marveled at how charming and refreshing it was to see some buildings and paving that didn't look like Dallas, Fort Worth, Miami, Los Angeles or even, South Portland.

Then on to the Antietam Battlefield, and I was vastly relieved to see that the Federal Government has managed to preserve that great and tragic site, and that it has not been paved over with concrete and pockmarked by Generica buildings. We will be going back there to spend more time, soon.

Next we drove cross country to Winchester and then down the western Interestate through Virginia to North Carolina. Charming, and exceedingly beautiful...and a place that I had not been since my trips south have almost always been down Interstate 95. I will never go down I95 again.

Once again in North Carolina we drove through the mountains to Asheville to learn about how they panelize round houses. An interesting company and process. Impressive.

From there we went east to visit my daughter in Chesepeake, Virginia. She is single again, and will be raising her two daughters there for at least a while. Chesepeake is truly Generica. Too many SUV's going too fast on two small streets, with wide boulevards and big boxes and Generica shopping centers every place that can be paved over. Typical, bustling, and apparently prosperous. Good schools, crime being controlled, I guess, and probably quite a bit of influence from the huge Naval presence in Norfolk nearby.

Reluctantly, I came to the conclusion that my daughter and her children are right where they need to be right now. She is making really good money, in a kind of professional position not duplicatable in Maine. Her apartment couldn't be easily duplicated in Maine for much less than one third higher cost, and none of her other expences can be duplicated in Maine either, with the possible exception of her auto insurance. More to the point, the things that her children are being exposed to culturally, socially, and academically simply do not exist for most Maine children, unless their families have the means to travel with them extensively.

My granddaughters are small right now....nine and seven. I worry about the challenges that they will face in that environment when they are eleven and thirteen, but for now, I think that Generica gives them the kind of exposure to their culture that they will need as a basis for their future.

I am glad to be back in Maine. I am glad that we had the trip to Generica, and I wish it not to come here and sprawl all over us. If it does, we will gain the ability to buy a lot of stuff and lose our soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 06:24 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
I just read an article in the local paper from the town I grew up in Ma. The chief of police is concerned about an increase in crimes against the person (Assault, armed robbery, murder, ect). Mostly, at least for this town, its the amount of assaults that are taking place. Now, he attributed a lot of it to growth, and the economy, and such. AND he also gave his best pitch for needing more officers.....Just what I would expect from any chief

But he said something that had me really dissapointed, Something your post kind of touches on. He made an analogy that the incirease in crime is largy due to the increase in transient residents. That the town has a larger population of people that are, not from the town, and probably have no real long term interests in the town. He said that the town has gone from one of a "close knit community" to a "loose knit community".

Well, very astitute observation IMO. I posted before my love affair with the town I grew up in. A town about the size of Auburn.....but felt like a town the size of Eastport. Strong schools, Strong sports, beautifull geography, and way less crime then here in Maine.

I guess I learned a new thing today. There have always been places that I feel a connection with, and places that I just can't seem to call home.

So I wanted to add to your post by asking. Could Maine be at risk of losing its identity, or connection with people, with out Urban Sprawl? We know were losing our young people to other states, and at the same time we are bringing in new people who are running away from places like NY and NJ and such. We know that not all of those people will actually stay here.

So........is it possible that Maine, even with the population not being reflective of Urban Sprawl, lose it's "close knit" communities and become communities of "loose Knit" people. People that have not spent the better part of their lives here, do not have vested memories in a particular town, and are willing to leave the minute they realize there might be something better somwhere else.

I think it is possible, and I think it is happening.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
... So I wanted to add to your post by asking. Could Maine be at risk of losing its identity, or connection with people, with out Urban Sprawl? We know were losing our young people to other states, and at the same time we are bringing in new people who are running away from places like NY and NJ and such. We know that not all of those people will actually stay here.

So........is it possible that Maine, even with the population not being reflective of Urban Sprawl, lose it's "close knit" communities and become communities of "loose Knit" people. People that have not spent the better part of their lives here, do not have vested memories in a particular town, and are willing to leave the minute they realize there might be something better somwhere else.

I think it is possible, and I think it is happening.
With folks who 'want' growth, and folks asking about where are the 'up and coming' areas. There are many who want to see growth. [Buy now before it gets paved over, so in five years your land values will have tripled and you can flip your house.]

In some states the county government takes control more and directs more things than are seen in Maine.

We once lived in one area where the county had projected the problems with 'growth' and sprawl. So they out-lawed rail-road tracks and additional pavement. You chop up your land and make a sub-division, the easement gets paved, and in a few years that paved easement becomes a public road. Thus roads increase. So they put a stop to it. [we were living in 'Upper Lake' California 95485 which is in lake county]

Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Fascinating trip, acadianlion.

I have heard that Asheville is lovely and set in the hills.

We may not like Generica, but it is here to stay. Best to learn how to cope with it, for the sake of our families. Hope we can all then have the chance to escape the bland sameness and return to a little corner with some authenticity left. For some it is Maine, for others there are small pockets hidden among these 50 states. Just need to search for them.

There are some people who truly prefer Generica, believe it or not. I can't imagine where they came from, but the monotony and repetitive sameness seems to soothe and comfort them, giving them a false sense of security.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:56 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
I have written several posts referring to what has happened to America's other 'bastion' of rugged individualism and edge of wilderness lifestyle besides Maine: the Pacific Northwest. I have lived both. As I find myself being forced out of my lifestyle in the NW by massive immigration from all points mid-west and especially California (imagine Maine's population nearly quadrupling over about 30 years ... that's what has happened here in density), all bringing Money and jacking up house and land prices, I also have concern for Maine in this regard. Maine is the last coastal state with the characteristics I thrive on. And I note, with apprehension, that nearly All of Maine is privately owned — which makes it almost certain that hunting, and to a lesser extent fishing, will eventually be near impossible for the everyday man and woman — reserved only for the rich. Without extensive state and national forests, timber companies and other large landholders will increasingly sell out or lease out their lands as huge, profitable — and exclusive — and Very costly private sportsmen's clubs. One of the still saving features of the west coast is the incredible amount of protected public land.

There is no stopping human nature for avarice and greed. Lifestyle take a back seat. My last move may have to be to the Canadian far north (speaking of blackflies)

Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I have written several posts referring to what has happened to America's other 'bastion' of rugged individualism and edge of wilderness lifestyle besides Maine: the Pacific Northwest. I have lived both. As I find myself being forced out of my lifestyle in the NW by massive immigration from all points mid-west and especially California (imagine Maine's population nearly quadrupling over about 30 years ... that's what has happened here in density), all bringing Money and jacking up house and land prices, I also have concern for Maine in this regard. Maine is the last coastal state with the characteristics I thrive on. And I note, with apprehension, that nearly All of Maine is privately owned — which makes it almost certain that hunting, and to a lesser extent fishing, will eventually be near impossible for the everyday man and woman — reserved only for the rich. Without extensive state and national forests, timber companies and other large landholders will increasingly sell out or lease out their lands as huge, profitable — and exclusive — and Very costly private sportsmen's clubs. One of the still saving features of the west coast is the incredible amount of protected public land.

There is no stopping human nature for avarice and greed. Lifestyle take a back seat. My last move may have to be to the Canadian far north (speaking of blackflies)
Maine has one aspect to balance the scales that the Pacific Northwest does not have.....Long Cold Winters. Talk to the people in Aroostook County this year about winter. No matter how nice the coastal area of Maine is in summer it is not nice in the winter. There are a great many houses that stand empty all winter long along the coast. The one thing that has changed over the years is what used to be just empty cottages all winter are now empty million dollar houses. There are people who are determined to live on the coast in the winter and winterize accordingly. However the reality of cold, bleak winters with absolutely nothing to do ,let alone how the cold affects aging muscles and joints tends to dillute the beautiful images of the summer. After a few years of winter around here a good number of these folks sell out. Sure they are usually replaced by others determined to live the Maine lifestyle but they're destined to go stir crazy after a while too. If you haven't lived through hard winters like this past one you really have no idea what winter is like around here. These people are used to being able to go anywhere and do anything they want to do weather be damned. That attitude is quickly put aside when they try to go to town during one of the frequent coastal sleet storms where even four wheel drive will get you nowhere. After five solid months of snow, ice, and cold it just doesn't seem worth it to stay around here in the winter....and they don't. They'll be back in the summer and a new crop of people smitten with the beauty of the Maine summer will sell their place in Generica and strike out for a new life in Maine. Some will make it ....many will not.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 AM

I understand the long cold winter issue, completely. I have lived in Maine (in the woods near Calais and Princeton) and Michigan and in Minnesota, among other places besides the NW, including Hawaii. My late wife and second wife were/are both from the Iron Range of north North Minnesota. And you are right about how that reality will always limit the actual population growth. And your observation of the difference being that the old funky vacation cabins on the coast are now ostentatious, million-dollar vacation villas, but still empty most of the time, is right on.

While the weather is a true growth-limiting factor against full-time invasion, rich out-of-staters Will own Maine over time, and co-op the use of your lands that once were freely crossed and canoed and fished and hunted.

Somewhat as foreigners increasingly own our entire country and its resources through their aggressive investment strategies. Fact of life. Human nature. No prejudice intended.

As for weather, I've said it over and over and over for years: I'll take the cold and snow with some sun anytime over the absolutely relentless, constant, depressing, sopping wet gray, just a wee bit over freezing for 7 months each year. If you are curious, look up the City-Data weather charts for say Seattle, WA and Portland, ME ... you'll see that while your overall precipitation is a tad higher annually than Seattle's (!), your winter sunshine is more than double!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
It seems to me, that the huge build up of box stores, restaurants and outlets in the towns mostly in southern Maine towns will reach a saturation point. Does anyone think like I do? When there is no longer a consumer base to spread the wealth around, will we be looking at vacant strip malls and big boxes strewn all through the landscape, like the dilapidated mills of today?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
It seems to me, that the huge build up of box stores, restaurants and outlets in the towns mostly in southern Maine towns will reach a saturation point. Does anyone think like I do? When there is no longer a consumer base to spread the wealth around, will we be looking at vacant strip malls and big boxes strewn all through the landscape, like the dilapidated mills of today?
You would think that's a possibility. Here in Lewiston/Auburn Walmart built a HUGE super walmart that is open 24hrs a day. Having stopped in other walmart's this one is particulary big and fairly well runned...very clean. Well aparently business is SO GOOD, Walmart is building ANOTHER one in Lewiston on the turnpike exit.

My guess is they know the market better than me. How much money do they make compared with the start-up costs. ect I do not know the numbers.

But...to agree with you on your concept....I think there is an over-saturation of restaurents in this area. I would not be suprised at all, to see some of these places close down.

Of course, anything can happen. I think Maine has more local issues to contend with let alone whats happening nationaly and globaly.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
The people who research retail 'site placements' for major retailers are well paid pro's ... they are usually Very good at what they do and exceptional research goes into the investment. If Wal-Mart, or any number of other national retail chains such as Home Depot show up — they are there to stay ... and they will thrive. Almost never make a mistake. It's not a good sign for folks who value a rural lifestyle. But not a darn thing you can do about it. Your growth is at about 8% the rate of my area ... so I may well choose to return and live with the slow cancer as opposed to an aggressive one.

Then there's always Nova Scotia, where the overall population is trickling away little by little. Halifax and area is growing as folks leave the countryside. But total population numbers for the Province are minus from year to year. Wishful thinking for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine