Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 02:25 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times

Advertisements

here in Pittsburg NH at the top of the state, 1 and 1A hunting sections, I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have a generator.
If you have a furnace or on the grid. You don't want to lose power when its 10,15 ,20, or more below zero
But many folks also have wood stoves.

Last edited by ben young; 12-16-2020 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 04:13 PM

337 posts, read 429,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I am very much enjoying reading about your transition to life in Maine. Your new life sounds so idyllic.
Thanks. I decided early on in our quest to share some of what we encountered along the way. It has been an odyssey of sorts with so many challenges to overcome. As for Idyllic, from your fingers to God's ears. It'll be idyllic the first morning I wake up with all the excess stuff we brought here all sorted and disposed of and our two cars enjoying the heated garage they were meant to share! Of course I've never been a guy who had nothing to do but once, just once in the remaining years I have I'd love to see what that feels like!

Really, in the quiet of 5:45 in the morning, when the blood red cardinals are at the feeder 3' from the window and the Jays are arguing with the squirrels for seeds, but there are no other noises to distract me, that's when I feel that I've found an idylic life after all. There's a rush of wind in the tops of the firs and I'm transported to our favorite site in Blackwoods. We've begun conversations about maybe never camping again as we are already......here.....in our beloved woods.

I'm also extremely proud of my wife and I for pulling off what began as a conversation 5 years ago on a trip home from camping in Acadia when I suggested we move to Maine, just to plant the seed. I told here I had a very sad feeling every time we hit the bridge on the way home. But, tilling that hard soil was tough but, eventually, she knew we'd end up here.....and now we are. That sign that says "Welcome Home" was meant for me.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:51 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
I told here I had a very sad feeling every time we hit the bridge on the way home.
I feel the same. Every time I have visited. And I know nobody in the areas in which I frequent. I'm not even talking the pretty areas like Acadia. Maine gets in your system and you can't get it out. The cliche slogan is right.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:26 AM

9 posts, read 5,148 times
I have read your story from the beginning. My husband and I fell in love with Maine in 2017 and his health was just so much better. He is originally from upper state NY and I was born and raised in GA. I've lived all over the world. We want to retire in or near Lubec. Covid forced us to stay here in GA, or we would have purchased a home by now. I fear the run-up on home prices and the sales speed might have us lose a few homes we really liked. We already sold our home here and are renting so we can be as mobile as possible.

Thank you for sharing your story! I have learned so much from this!

I look forward to being a Mainer soon!

Old 01-29-2021, 01:42 PM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
What an awesome adventure you have had. Enjoy that peace and quiet. I would love to look out my window and see cardinals and listen to jay's squawking. Do you see many deer?

Old 02-03-2021, 06:09 AM

337 posts, read 429,245 times
Some deer. I have a driveway sensor for when people drive in. At midnight it might ring a dozen times when the deer are walking across it.

I swear i saw a young moose about a month ago for just a fleeting second. I recognized it's haunches, different than deer, but I may have been wrong. I did see a fox, however!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine