Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,729 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in camden maine? We are looking to move and I heard a little about it. Cam anyone tell me anything? Is it expensive? I currently live in Ma so I want to try to stay away from expensive states. :O)
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 12:30 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,155 times
I just sold my home in Rockport, which is 3 miles from Camden. The teachers are very good there. Sports in the schools is a big thing...some parents have really bad attitudes , but you'll probably find that anywhere. Real estate prices have come down a bit....many houses have been for sale for awhile. There is a good hospital locally and restaurants and some shopping. Camden is a smallish town...comfortable and safe.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:03 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
I worked in Camden for several years. It is a beautiful town. The whole area around Camden as far inland as Union is a beautiful area of the State. Real estate prices can be high right along the coast. I preferred the weather a bit inland from Camden proper. Penobscot Bay is a cold body of water and as such any breeze off the water puts a significant chill into the air well into July. It also can be fairly foggy along the coast for a better part of the summer. On a clear day with a westerly breeze there is nothing nicer than having a picnic lunch in the small park in Camden overlooking the harbor. Camden is a combination artsy / tourist area with lots of small craft,antique and other types of shops. There are several fine restaurants in the area as well. I loved the area. As I said it's cold along the coast but you can't beat Camden for scenery.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:10 PM

182 posts, read 490,729 times
Don't forget that spillway next to the public landing and the park by the library. That is going to be some kind of spectacular when the spring melt hits.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
"Cam anyone tell me anything? Is it expensive?"

What Maine used to regard as expensive is dirt cheap for some people now. There was a nice camp on East Grand Lake. Somebody bought it and the next week there was an excavator on the site demolishing the camp, furnishings and all. The new owners built a lavish home on the site. The era of "teardowns" has arrived in Maine and Mainers don't understand why somebody would tear down a perfectly good camp with generations of character.

We think Camden is expensive, but I guess it's a huge bargain when compared to Darien, Connecticut. It's only a matter of time before somebody buys a classic home in Camden to tear it down and build something modern.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
Don't forget that spillway next to the public landing and the park by the library. That is going to be some kind of spectacular when the spring melt hits.
I know it well! Sea Dog Brewing's building (the old Mill where MBNA was) had the spillway running right beside the building. If fact it ran UNDER the MBNA section of the building. In the spring of '93 we piled sandbags in the lower windows of the building as we watched the water rise above the bottoms of the windows for several tense hours. Had those windows broken the whole brewery's lower floor would have flooded! The waterfall from the mill pond was a show piece outside the brew pub's dining room windows. The owner Pete Camplin paid some big money to install waterproof lighting to backlight the falls at night. It was pretty impressive and drew a lot of patrons to the place.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:50 PM

The kind of winter we have had do you think they are in for it again?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
The kind of winter we have had do you think they are in for it again?
There's a good chance of it though the last time I was up there that particular building is now vacant isn't it?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 PM

Most of my visits to Camden have been in the off season and I can't tell closed for the season vs closed till the next tenant moves in.

I can say that one of the many defining moments in our quest to make Maine our home occurred on a balcony at the Lord Camden. We would stay there because of the pet friendly policy and the waffle iron at the all you can eat breakfast. I returned from the mornings initial potty run with dew covered sneakers to sip my coffee on the balcony overlooking the main street. Across that street is a little bakery and coffee place and I watched a portly sort of gentleman come out the door and approach the sidewalk to cross back to my side of the street. As required by law a vehicle with Maine plates quickly drew to a stop to let the pedestrian cross. A brief skirmish of willpower ensued, the portly gentleman clearly unfamiliar with such courtesy held back but the driver of the vehicle did not budge. Mr Portly crossed the street and as he drew near I saw a sort of smirk and chuckle and Mr Portly turned to look back at the departing vehicle his body language an unmistakable "well I pulled one over on him now". From my unseen vantage point I observed Mr Portly walk over to a vehicle with NY plates on it and unlock the doors.

I went inside to tell my wife what I had just witnessed and we both agreed it seemed Maine was what we were looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine