Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 04:51 PM

25,881 posts, read 12,918,172 times

Advertisements

Already booked at B&B/Inns in both places this month near the city core's.

Mid life couple who are recent empty nesters ready to start traveling again. 1st big trip in many years.

We'd like to get out on the water a couple of times sailing, cruising, Lobster boat, or whale watching (if they are around this time of year).

We'll do easy to moderate hiking, but nothing difficult.

We like walking around cities and looking at old homes, historical sites, local shops, and eating at local restaurants (hate chains).

I'm a pescatarian, my wife isn't.

We like to go out at night, but we turn into Pumpkins ~10pm. We love live music of all kinds.

I'm afraid 3 nights in such small towns is too much, so we're open to other nearby towns if they are worth the drive to see or experience something unique. That coastal walking path near Olgunquit sounds nice.

We've spent time on trip advisor, but we tend to avoid the tourist traps, and try to find places off the beaten path the locals frequent...away from the crowds. That is why we chose September after school starts and before leaves change...hoping for smaller crowds.

Also, we'd love to buy Lobster (and other seafood) off the boats, and cook at home. Possible? Where to go?

Any thoughts, ideas, tips, (especially from locals) would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 09-05-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 07:58 PM

12,554 posts, read 9,644,236 times
Frequent visitor - I highly recommend this book, and this map if you want to walk/hike in the Camden area.

I would suggest also visiting Rockport and Rockland, maybe Owl's head... and look for a nice walk roundtrip on the quieter roads between Camden and Rockport near the water, lots of beautiful older homes there and even a lovely farm or two. That's more than enough for a few days stay. Honestly, if you really look and see the sights, visit the interesting shops and museums, the parks and public access points in the area, you will have no trouble filling a week in the Camden area.

P.S. I tend to get my lobster already cooked at a restaurant, but I have noticed an interesting roadside lobster place on the pretty country road between Lincolnville Beach and Lincolnville Center, Beach Road. It's called M & L Seafood. I think the guy is a lobsterman and sells them out of his house direct to consumers too...you could also try Rockport Lobster.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-05-2018 at 08:51 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 05:53 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,433,570 times
" pescatarian"

......had to look that one up!!.....lobster is one of the easiest pescatarian foods to cook. Most people believe that one has to fill a pot with water to cover lobster....but no, just add a few inches of water, bring to boil and add crustaceans...steaming is just as good and much easier.

We are woods creatures and mostly eat trout, but as I just had a birthday, the Lady got lobsters and made a blueberry pie......heaven in Maine!

Old 09-06-2018, 04:11 PM

12,554 posts, read 9,644,236 times
P.P.S. and if your pescatarian inclinations extend to finfish, then when in Camden, I'd suggest Graffam Bros Seafood Market on Union St in Rockport as one good source for fresh fish. It's the bigger building across the street from their lobster shack, and just up the street from the picturesque Rockport harbor.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:20 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,064,691 times
In Camden, local lodges have a map that takes you on a short loop tour of the area, it's actually doable on bicycle if you don't wish to drive. It takes you down to Rockport, past a farm and pasture that has unique cattle called belted galloways (we stopped and took some photo's here, nice spot) and it does go by Graffam Bro's if I'm not mistaken. Worth doing IMO...

Camden Hills State Park has hiking of all ability levels, and they also have a section of the park that fronts the ocean. We hiked both areas. You can also hike or drive up to a viewing tower with a commanding view of the area.

For Lobster, Mcloon's Lobster Shack in Thomaston has to be the most quintessential and charming shack in the most picturesque setting I have ever experienced. It is about a 30 minute drive out of Camden, however. Mclaughlin's Lobster Shack in Lincolnville is very good, and also has a great view as it's right by the beach.

Be sure to check out the Camden Library if you have time, one of the coolest Libraries I have been to. The children's library is underground with a glass rotunda in the field above letting light in. Also, a natural amphitheater in the back that has performances, plays, productions along with an awe inspiring view down to the harbor.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:56 PM

25,881 posts, read 12,918,172 times
In K'Port now, just arrived and found all the goodies y'all left for us. We couldn't be more thankful for all your tips.

I need to sort them all out geographically and sequence them so we dont spend too much time in the car.

We will follow as many of them as time allows, then report back.

My wife is a huge book worm, so the library tip will be at the top of the list, then procurring Lobsters direct in each place is next. Great tip on just a few inches of water... I would have overfilled the pot.

This is sooo exciting. Loved Portsmouth, Portland was good but not great. We are not Beer people, or it would have been awesome.

The adventure continues. Thanks again all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine